Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see some hot-rodded Chevy Sixes!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick66, Dec 3, 2011.

1. I've been tossing around a lot of possible powerplants for my '47 Hudson, and have pretty much ruled out any V-8 with a driver's side starter...lack of room and lots of issues that to correct, would involve a sub install, or a rack and pinion. I want to retain the Hudson center-steer arrangement, and retain the true old-car ride and handling. Hudsons were famous for their superb road manners even before the Stepdown cars. To put in a sub or a rack & pinion would make it ride like any modern car. So...

I've measured the 230 and 250 Chevy Six-cylinder engines, and they will fit beautifully - like they were actually made for the car! And, since a running 250 can be had for cheap, I figure "why not!" So, how many of you have a 230, 250, or even a GMC 261 that you have hot-rodded to an extent, and installed in a '30s through late '40s car or truck? Stock, mild modified, or full-out show engines! Whatever you have, I'd like to see, regardless of what car it might be in! Looking for some ideas, so if you have something, post it! Thanks!

2. So, there are no dressed-out or hot-rodded Chevy Stovebolt Sixes out there, huh?

3. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are few current Chevy sixes. 216's through to the 292's. These should float your boat.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

4. The boat is floating! I love that three-deuce setup!

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Friends all steel '35 Master roadster. Blue flame with triple carbs, headers and T400

Attached Files:

6. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

Do you accept works in progress???

[​IMG]

7. Silly question perhaps - why not consider a 292? I understand hood clearance could be an issue, but I found mine off Craigslist as a fresh rebuild for $300. Needed manifolds (which I had), gas, water, and spark to run.

8. I am considering a Chevy 261 or a 292, and would give a GMC 270 serious consideration, too.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  9. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

you may have heard me say, sorry if i repeat myself too much, i installed a 292 in my stepdown. if you do go that route i would suggest using a shallower 250 oil pan the deeper 292 one has clearence issues with the center steering pin. also headers are a tough fit with the steering on the drivers side exhust on the chevy one. i didn't have a problem with hood clearence though. this setup is out now and i am working on the front end before a 308 goes in.

10. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

Part of my collection.

Attached Files:

11. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Here's a couple for yea.

Attached Files:

12. Sweet! I do have a line on a 292 in southern Colorado that I need to follow up on. No transmission...yet. I was wondering about the 292 pan, hoping crossmember clearance would not be an issue, but maybe it is after all. With this being a '47 and not a Stepdown car, I was wondering if there would be any difference in fitment, regarding the steering pin.

Keep those Stovebolt pics coming along!

13. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i wouldn't count the 292 out, but i would go with the 250 oil pan and oil pick up. the shame was i had just had to change the oil pan before i installed it in the hudson because i boogered it up moving it around. the shorter oil pan would have made it a lot easier. when i first got it in the inner tie rods rubbed the bottom of the oil pan so i had to rework my tranny mount. everything had a hairs clearance: the u joints were at max angle, the valve cover was almost touching firewall, and the oil pan was just off the inner tie rods- i would have had to jack up engine to change them! the shorter oil pan would prob have let everything lay down in front to pefect location. i am excited about getting the flathead in mine, not that i don't love chevy sixes. glad you are keeping the orig hudson front end.

14. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

I bet a 240 or 300 Ford six would be easier than the Chevy motors since the manifolds and starter are on the passenger side. 12 port head from the factory, bullet proof, a lot to like about them.

15. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

I have a '57 235 in my t-bucket. Except for being "dressed up" a bit the engine is pretty much stock. It's also matched to a '57 Powerglide. Plenty of giddy up for the bucket.

Attached Files:

16. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a few for starters. One produces more than 2 HP per cubic inch too. All run good and can make a great accounting of themselves at the Starting Line.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

17. 37RAT

37RAT
    from Wisconsin

'62-235ci

Attached Files:

18. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Try the 235. A ton of torque and plenty of parts at the parts store. I am working on mine right now and should be done within the next month or so. Let us know what you end up going with.

19. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

why not a Buick 8?

20. Normbc, your second post bottom left hand corner, do you have any more pictures of this one. interested in seeing some detail on the power steering brackets

21. I'm going to get that 292 in Colorado I spoke of, along with a PowerGlide trans. Since the Hudson has an "X"-frame, like the '59 - '64 GM big cars, there is little room for a transmission with much of a tailshaft. That is one reason I went with a GM Six over the Ford, although I prefer the 300 over the Chevys.

Trivia bit for you - The 240/300 Ford engine was actually slated to replace the Hudson 308 in 1958, had Hudson remained a viable independent automaker! The designer of the 308 also designed the 300 engine in (I believe) late 1954. However, he went to Ford later on, after the merger with Nash. This is the story I heard from a long-time Hudson guy, now deceased, in 2002.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

that seems odd to me.

Hudson was already using the GM Dual-Range Hydromatic as the automatic transmission option, so why wouldn't they use a GM engine?

23. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

24. Because, at that time, the 240/300 was a HUDSON design by two of their engineers. Both went to work for Ford after Hudson's merger with Nash to form AMC in 1954, and took their design with them. This was slated to replace the 308 in Hudson's 1958 model year, had Hudson remained an independent automaker.

63chevyII, bet that will smoke the tires!

Great pics so far, gents!

25. tatersgravy

tatersgravy
    from midwest

"194" bored .40 over with a bit more cam and purrs like a kitten! ;)

[​IMG]

26. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

1st gen nova?

27. tatersgravy

tatersgravy
    from midwest

"Yep" its a wagon...

28. sololobo

sololobo

Here is a sweet lookin and damn good runnin 235 in a Model A coupe at last years H.A.M.B. drags. Really a clean installation. ~sololobo~

Attached Files:

29. sololobo

sololobo

Here is the bad boy 235 in Dick Warsocki's Hoodlum, note the Thickston Dog Bone dual intake and the custom valve cover. Also the secret air cleaner supercharger in Sololobo's rusty ranch wagon six shooter. ~sololobo~

Attached Files: