Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newb with vintage twin-engine kart project

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by FstEdde, Dec 20, 2011.

1. FstEdde

FstEdde

Hello all,

As the title implies, I have a kart project that I think HAMB members could really help me with.

I'm knee deep in a vintage twin-engine Rupp Super K. However, it's not a nut-and-bolt restoration. It's more of a resto-mod. Sure, it'll look retro with metalflake, tuck-&-roll, and vintage graphics. But the powerplants make it a bit different. They are twin LawnBoy Duraforce 2-strokes. 141cc reed valve engines that I've souped up and modified.

Would this be a HAMB-worthy build thread? Lemme know. Also it looks like project threads have been moved to the Tech Archives, but I can't post there.

Fast Eddie

2. HI Eddie, It sort of depends on the age of the kart. 64 or earlier will probably find some help. You will find 1/4 midget stuff and most anything else, sort of time sensitive....

3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Welcome from the West Coast of Florida.

I remember the Rupp karts well from back in the day when Micky Rupp was building them.

I raced karts from the early 60's through the 70's and then again when my boys started racing in 1984.

I still have all the karting magazines from the late 50's through the 90's

Karting as sure seen a lot of changes over the years and I have friends who started out in there two car garage selling parts and once they were up around a millions dollars a year in sales they built their own building.

Best of luck with your project. Jimbo

4. FstEdde

FstEdde

Thank you sir. It's a vintage '60s frame for sure. My help falls along more general catagories than restoration advice

-supervision on my fabrication skills
    -knowledge/ideas to keep it vintage-looking
    -how to prep for a nice paint job
    -aluminum polishing
    -etc.

Here are a couple of pics-

What I started with

[​IMG]

Bare frame

[​IMG]

Sandblasted

[​IMG]

Converted to rear-steer and added a front hoop

[​IMG]

Plus other mods/repairs to the frame.

My powerplants

[​IMG]

Motors rebuilt, cranks machined/shortened, heads decked .035, Tilly carbs and Noram racing clutches

[​IMG]

Built mockup mounts from MDF

[​IMG]

Thats where I'm at. Hope it could be of interest for the HAMB

5. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

Welcome. I've done some dirt track karting in the past. I always love to see the vintage machines.

6. FstEdde

FstEdde

Thanks for the kind words folks. Any place in particular I should start a build thread?

7. Stone

Stone

8. Lee's64

Lee's64

I started racing go-karts when I was 12. And I loved every minute. It taught me so much about engines and woking with tools. I built all my motors myself. I started in the "Rookies" class and finished in the "Limited Modifed" class. I won alot of races, but I guess my favorite moment was setting on the pole at the "WKA Dirt Nationals" in 1988! I ran 2nd for about 26 laps and got spun out. Finished 6th. Great memories with my dad, whom I lost the next year. Haven't really got over that yet. And I'm 41 now. I love the vintage kart! LEE

9. HuffDaddy

HuffDaddy

Welcome from Northville, MI. I love vintage karts. A friend of mine has an old Rupp kart from the early 60's.

10. rockguy92

rockguy92

Welcome from Ohio and Happy Holidays!!

The Rock

11. Captain Geech

Captain Geech

welcome fromSW MO

12. FstEdde

FstEdde

Thanks again for the kind words and well-wishes. I'll put together a detailed build thread to get up to current-day and post it under General Discussion.

I'll post a link here also. Talk to you soon!

13. FstEdde

FstEdde

Thanks again for all the kind words. Here's a LINK to my new build thread. I've got 2 years worth of progress pics posted...check it out!! I'll keep the updates coming!

14. Welcome aboard! Cool project!!!!