Register now to get rid of these ads!

o/t? How do I pull apart my 70's dodge dual lie rear-end?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flynn's_57, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Hey, I have a '73 sportsman RV rear-end I am trying to pull apart to get to the brake pads and see why the wheel's frozen.

I've pulled the wheel and all the little bolts in the center, but it looks like what I thought was a knock-off cap is on solid...?
    Everything seems tight and I don't know what comes next...?

I'm hoping asking on here will save me a little time and frustration!
    Thanks!!

2. fourspd340

fourspd340

It sounds like it is a full floating rear axle. It is a 3/4 ton van? If you removed all of the small bolts, that "cap" is actually attached to the axle shaft itself. Give it a good whack with a hammer and the axle should pull out. Next you need to remove a very large nut and the drum should come off.

3. Pasta

Pasta

Under those small bolts are cones that center the axle flange on the small studs. Usually they're a bitch to get out.
    Once the axle is out of the rear end, there is a large nut that retains the drum to the axle tube. There may also be a mechanical locking device to hold that large nut on place.

George

4. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

What he said,,when you put it back together that bearing needs 55-60ft pounds of preload on the nut that is against the bearing, then the tab and lock nut.

You can get those special sockets at the auto parts stores hanging on the HELP rack.

5. Carter

Carter

May need a special socket for the spindle nuts once the axle shaft is removed. After that the hub and drum should pull off.

Edit: a little slow in my response

6. derpr

derpr

when you pull all the nuts off, it will look kind of like lock washers under them but they don't just slide off. they are tappered to center the axle when installed. take a hammer and give it a wack right on top of each stud. and they will pop out. think tappered like a tie rod. once they are all removed the axle will slide out then you can take off that nut everyone else is talking about. its bigger then 2in.