Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Enough monkeying around: let's build a 5w, or another 4dr bites the big one.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thunderbirdesq, Dec 22, 2011.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

You've peaked my interest. The title reminded me of a Rocky and Bullwinkle episode....

Subscribed

2. Andy rules. get ahold of me if you need an extra set of hands when tacking this together!

3. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

Looking forward to seeing this finished..........Don't think we'll have to wait long!

4. Hurry up! I need a blueprint for mine!

5. Watching...

6. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Subscribed,You are hauling ass.

7. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Andy, just put'n it out there... I have a ind. gas compressor, and a 150lb. pot blaster that you could use to "dust" this off... I don't mind blasting Now that I have the rite set-up! makes short work of a step we all hate doing... Great project Bro., Cheers

8. sawzall

sawzall

ouch..

andy..

looks good..
    hope to see it and you at latimore

9. sololobo

sololobo

Cool project, should be a dandy. Ford in a Ford, what a concept, dig it. ~sololobo~

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks everyone, here's today's progress...

working brake and clutch pedals using all original ford parts! I made the bellcrank using an old y block piston pin, a bronze bushing, an F1 clutch arm, and a 193? brake pedal arm. All welded up solid and ground smooth. I added a grease fitting too to keep things slick.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

12. F&J

F&J

I can hear the groans from the dual master crowd...

oh, and I don't see tack welds....I guess you are way beyond the mocking up stuff :) ...The old school "weld er up and git it done.."

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Haha, I heard that groaning as I was putting this together Frank... Stick car, and it will have a working e-brake, it'll be fine. That's a NOS master cylinder there too, I pulled it apart to check the seal condition, all looks great. I did actually tack it together and test the setup out before making anything permanent, should work great.

14. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Not from me. It's not likely that the lines on this won't get soaked in salt, treated with neglect, and rust away. ;)

Nice!

Brian

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Andy did you use a stock '33-34 pedal assembly? I need to buy some pedals for mine and I'm kinda unsure which direction to go. Looking good dude!

17. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yep, stock as a rock. No hacking up the x member here... I had to lengthen the trans arm a bit and heat and bend it over some... Using the stock pedals might not be such a great idea if you're using anything other than a early ford trans... If you have the stock mech brake crossover assy, you can use that to convert the brake pedal's pull motion to a push. I don't have one so I whipped the bellcrank up.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm glad to see someone taking up JJ's slack. :eek::D

Can't wait to see the body come together.

19. Oh man! A REAL hotrod!

20. Racrdad

Racrdad

Really like where this is heading. Count me in as subscribed!

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Got my 3x2 setup in the mail yesterday!!... and I open it up to find that USPS/the seller's poor packaging skills smashed up one of the 97's pretty good, broke the fuel inlet off the centersection... damn... Luckily it was the rougher of the 3 cores. grrrr....

Sooo, I made a fuel log from an old aluminum turnbuckle center, looks pretty cool, nice and small... and although I promised myself I wouldn't start on the body until the chassis was completely done, I repaired the rotted-to-death cowl top last night too... can I just say I LOVE my new TIG welder... awesome.

and if you're wondering "where's the dang visual documentation!?".... my camera battery quit... for good, it appears. off to grab a new one...

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks for the info on the pedals Andy. I contacted Chris last night about the EarlyFordV8 kit that allows you to use the stock pedals like he did in his truck. When he told me $400 for the kit I was a little taken back.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to go with a T5 behind that flathead or an Early Ford trans so I'll have to keep that in mind. I actually found Curbspeed's solution to the problem by using '39 pedals and building a box off the x-member and mounting the pedals on the opposite side of the member.

Lots of thinking to do!!! Keep picking up my slack and chipping away. Only 7 months til Speed Week. :D

23. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yea, I looked at that kit, I don't like how low it places the master cylinder though... probably fine for a stock-ish height car but I don't wanna have to worry about snaggin it on anything. This was about a 4hr job, so I figure I saved at least $200 by doing it this way, haha! I like the way dale did his '39 pedals, but you still have to chop up the x member a bit for the clutch pedal... honestly if I was going with a late model trans, I'd probably just use ansen swingers with a firewall mounted double mc... way less fuckin around.

RODIST likes this.
  24. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that's what i decided to do too. with the y-block, and the stock bellhousing, and the t-5, there is NO room for stock pedals. especially when you plan on putting a truck firewall in there to boot.

so i bought Tardel's Ansen style swingers. they are nice, and are about 150 bucks. still looking for a chrome double mc...

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Only thing is...and I know this is stupid but really the only thing (AND I DO BELIEVE I MEAN ONLY) think that's not going to be pre 47 on the car is going to be the trans, adapter and TT adapter. Everything else will be "right" so I'd like to use stock looking pedals which brings me to Curbspeed's solution. I do hate to cut up the frame but I'm gonna have to (trans saddle) in order to get that T5 working with stock wishbone placement so I guess it won't hurt that bad. I'll have to see where my skills lie when I attack this because I'd like to do it in a way that doesn't scream out for attention.

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

all or nothin dude...:D;)

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know. I really should just do it right huh? I wish I wouldn't have wasted those NOS 3.54's on my '35. I definitely could have used those in this application. I'll just sit back and watch you work until make a final decision. :D:D:D

28. richie rebel

richie rebel

the build is looking good,i'll be watching this one.........

29. OLLIN

OLLIN

Oh yeah folks..He's back in business!
    I like how you already know you are going to break your transmission. Haha

30. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Haha, thanks Ollin! Destroying '39 transmissions is traditional right?:D