Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. SlingShoter

SlingShoter

Here's my friend Brenden Murry in the Speed Sport 7 at Bakersfeild.

Attached Files:

2. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

:)
    Tom S.

3. rick finch

rick finch

Speaking of Donovans....;)

[​IMG]

4. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I still contend early Chryslers were designed from day 1 to be used with nitro. When Duntov or who ever originally first put dome 1/2 ball shape chambers in engines instead of conventional wedge or pent roof, they did not have only gasoline in mind.
    :) I also guess they just had to find some kind of automobile to sell them in so guys could get a hold of them for dragsters. :) Who would look twice at a Imperial or New Yorker but would kill for the motor out of one?
    Old Chryslers on nitro, supercharged or n-a, simply had a pure sound unlike any other under power at full throttle. Reminds me of a Merlin in a P-51, the only thing close.
    Every other make of automotive type engine was made specifically for gasoline, even pent roof Ford and Mopar hemi's, but all I can say is this one with globe shape chambers was just different.

I'm curious, what do the heads look like now days on modern fuel motors?
    Tom S. in Tn.

5. Allen Johnson Top Fuel Heads look like this . . .

[​IMG]

Looks much like a factory 426 head to me . . .

6. skywolf

skywolf

7. This shot is from Atlanta the early 60's. Roy Roach is the fellow on the left who was the driver for this bunch, and he's the only one of the crew still alive today. They raced all around the South, and competed in the NASCAR WinterNationals held on the back stretch of the Daytona 500 track.
    He lost all his "stuff" from those days in a house fire several years ago, and this photo is about all that he has left from his drag racing career. He would like to locate anything from that NASCAR race. Originals or copies to pass along to his kids and grand son.

Attached Files:

8. You might be surprised to learn that the Hemispherical combustion chamber was a french design. It first appeared in the 1913 Pugeot. It was made popular in racing by Harry Miller, and later Fred Offenhauser. Duntov used the design on his ARDUN heads, but he did not invent it. Chrysler engineers borrowed it from Duntov.

9. Nice shot of the Dean & White roadster. The roadster was Pete Dean's, and the engine was fellow San Diego Roadster Club member Nolan White's out of his cut down Glaspar lakes sports car. Nolan ran over 220 at Bonneville with that 327 Chevy on gasoline.

10. noboD

noboD

Dean, not nitpicking but I think the Hemi dates from earlier then 1913. I believe I've read Peogeot used it as far back as 1903. Anyway, Chrysler didn't invent it.

11. skywolf

skywolf

12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug although you are technically correct, as there were a number of very early Hemis such as the examples you noted, I also believe Dean got it pretty close as to successful use of the hemi design in a true racing package. I too have to give the French some real credit with the Peugeot. Although the history of the hemispherical combustion chambered racing motor could be the subject of a quite lengthy thread in its own right I believe the 1912 L76 Peugeot is considered the foundation upon which all OHC Hemispherical combustion chambered RACING motors were built upon. Many people copied that design including Harry Miller, to an extent. What I find to be a bit more incredible is that by the 1919 Indianapolis 500 race, all of the cars were OHC hemispherical combustion chambered I believe and there were 10 different makes. Old hat by 1919. They also had already played with both supercharging and turbo charging (Sherbondy) by the late teens as well. Not much new past that date. That is not to say that there has not been a whole bunch of refinement to where we are today.-Jim

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  13. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

You know with todays car culture of basically Ford vs Chevy guys they have a very limited knowledge of the history of "their" brand in the 60's/70's. Most will tell you that Chevy kicked the crap out of everyone or vice versa Ford but you tell them about Chrysler and you are able to prove it with pictures and race results they get very pissy very quickly.

14. jughead2

jughead2
    from tenn.

aint it the truth. one of the few chry crazies in my small town:D

15. storm king

storm king

Yup. They bad mouth Mopars day in and day out, but if you bring up some facts, all the sudden you're being mean spirited or some other BS...

16. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Around what year was this photo taken?
    Did these guys later have a Chassis Research car with an injected 361 and torqueflite?
    This is stirring up the old memory cells. Tom S. in Tn.

17. some early motorcycles also came with hemi designs. 1910 flying merkel is a possibility later becoming the miami motorcycle company. these bikes hauled ass and could beat a harley or indian or super -x hands down

18. Falconred

Falconred

Mopar had the best automatic around back when no one wanted one, everyone else had a 4 speed. I can remember Petty leaving the pits with a 3 speed. There were some '62 wedge cars built with 3-speeds to compete in S/S but they weren't too succesfull. Now over in S/SA (automatic) that was a different story. By the way I saw the cars of the sixties and even helped with a '62 lightweight Ford in '63. The '63 Z-11 Chevys were probably the over all badest of them all. '64 and forward for awhile, Fords and Mopars usually carried the day.

19. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Wow! Great stuff!

20. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I filled in for regular driver Marty Schwartz for one race at New England in 1967. This was a very nice car and a Cadillac to drive. Ran 9.20's 145 - 150.

Don Roberts

21. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Merry Christmas to all you Drag Nuts....thanks for another great year.

22. storm king

storm king

You the man, RS! I've never seen a thread like this anywhere, ever!
    Merry Christmas, and a Happy, prosperous New Year to you, and all the follks who continue to make this the best thread, ever....

...For unto us a babe is born, a child is given....

23. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

24. BSL409

BSL409

<ARTICLE>
    <ARTICLE>
    [​IMG]

25. BSL409

BSL409

26. trimph1

trimph1

I loved his style of driving...:):eek::)

27. storm king

storm king

drag racing perfection, right there....

28. TwinTownTerror

TwinTownTerror
    from Minnesota

Over at my website (I know most of you have checked it out, thanks!) I have just added a series of photos instead of just one, like I normally do, for this week. It is a series of photos that were taken of Connie Kalitta and his famous pass in his 'wedge' dragster at Indy in 1971. It was a streamliner idea that was tried by Leland Kolb, The Snake, and a few others for a very short period of time. This pass maybe why... If I remember right I think they recreated it (very poorly IMO) in the movie 'Heart Like a Wheel'. Click on my link below and go check it out. You can click on the Ol Drag Photos button or on the photo that is shown on the home page to get you to them.

29. WCD

WCD

I saw the Warren and Nunes AA/GS Vette several times. But the time most memorable was when it blew its motor at OCIR. Who ever said blown gas mills dont launch like a nitro motor should have seen this thing fragment the front end and windshield.

30. skywolf

skywolf