Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE cam ID?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Judd, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Judd

Judd

I'm hoping some one can ID this FE cam with the small amount of info I have. Thanks!
    12 stamped on cam right after 3rd bearing , VBX and I think fomoco just before last bearing with tan/yellowish paint. ( baby poo brown). This cam has signs of use but the solid lifters don't look to have even rubbed the cam. This is in the 406 62 Galaxie.

2. Deuces

Deuces

If you have calipers or micrometers, you could check the base circle diameter and the lobe lift and do the math.... That would only give you "lift" dimensions for the intake and exhaust...

3. Judd

Judd

Dueces
    Thanks good idea but at this point it wouldn't suprise me to find it was a hydrolic lifter cam with the solid lifters.

Attached Files:

4. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I ran all solid ford stuff in fe's years ago. Sure seems the were marked on the front of cam. I mostly ran the 500-324. Seems like one of the old Ford HP books would
    cover that.

5. rawhide427

rawhide427

Judd,
    On another issue it appear to me that the pistons are in upside down. I only see one set of flycuts but my eyesight is very poor and I may not be seeing things correctly. All of the original 406 pistons that I have seen were flattop without flycuts.
    thanks and regards, Roland

6. Judd

Judd

Rawhide427.
    LOL yes they are and that is the reason I won't be suprised if cam is screwed up also.
    I'm hoping I don't have to buy a cam also! From reciept they are Venola pistons now if the idiot had just installed them correctly. Short block is going to a machinest I trust to do things right as soon as I get it out for a complete check/repair/rebuild or what ever it needs.

I noticed the cam has a couple of bearing surfaces with grooves in them that if I read correctly are for side oiler 427 so maybe it is solid lifter cam and ok?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654618

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  7. Judd

Judd

Thanks! Not much on IDing cams in the books I have just the specs. I'll check the front again tomorrow for marks etc. 500-306 would be best for what I plan on doing with the car.

Attached Files:

8. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

62 and earlier FE cams had a lip larger than the front journal that kept the cam from sliding too far into the block. 63-up used a plate with two allen head bolts to keep the cam in place. Which type cam did your engine have?

9. Could the markings be an upside down A then a B and then an A? I have a list of a few markings and this is as close as I see to yours. the VBA (first V is upside down A) I have listed is the 306º duration .500 lift mechanical cam.

10. Judd

Judd

I think this car may have a warranty replacement block as it is a 63 406 casting # that I've read is correct for 62 car? it has a cam retainer set up like a SBF.

11. Judd

Judd

Don
    Thanks! I think it may be it is not a real clear casting.

Attached Files:

12. rawhide427

rawhide427

The 62 406 had the 63 and later thrust plate control of the end play of the cam. It was a much better control system than the spring used in older FE engines.
    regards, Roland

13. rawhide427

rawhide427

Judd,
    Since the 1970's all of the performance cam companies used the cam cores with the side oiler grooves on the second and fourth journals. They work fine in the top oiler blocks and are used with flat and hydraulic cams. When I get to the shop I will check some of my reference material and see if I can figure out what the cam is. I can also see that your valves have been touching your pistons. It appears to be so slight that I doubt any damage has been done to your cam or valves.
    regards, Roland

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Hey Judd, no I'm not talking about a Beatles song! P.M. Troublemaker on here and see what he knows. He is all about the FE stuff.