Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Alter-K-Tion II (1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by addicted2dunes, Jun 2, 2011.

1. operatorfailure

operatorfailure

Yeah, it will most likely be this winter when I decide to cut into it, I would really like to be able to cruise it around this summer/fall with just a static drop. Have any ideas on what the cost would be, including the new shock mounts?

Oh, and in this picture if you clearanced the frame a bit where the top of the bag mounts could you get your 1" more drop or is that where the suspension stops without the bag in it anyway?

[​IMG]

2. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

You can't get anymore drop out of the front end without major modifications. The picture you see is with a 5" upper bag spacer, that was just for mock up, the spacers are now only 1.5" tall, basically the a-arm touches the frame when completely slammed. I'll update the pictures within the week with the new bags and spacers installed.

3. operatorfailure

operatorfailure

That's exactly what I needed to know, new pictures would rock but I understand what your saying anyway.

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice looking project , your making some headway , keep up the good job , and posting build photos

5. Nice looking chop on that car too. How much is it squashed?

6. farmer12

farmer12

Looking great so far. Decided on a definite drivetrain yet? Keep up the good work!

7. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

So cool to see more MoPars gettin' the treatment...great thread.

8. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

About 4"

9. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

It's getting a 440, 727, and a Ford 9"

10. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

440 and Torqueflite...now we're talkin'!!! Keep on documenting this build, it's going to be very valuable for other MoPar fans in the future. I'm interested in the rearend conversion as the Volare unit in my '50 is the only weak link.

11. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Some more progress to post, firewall notch welded in, still have some more sanding to do. Motor mounts mocked up ready to be welded into the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Here's some pics of it slammed on the bags, these pics are without the rear being notched and without the lowering uprights. Hopefully it'll set all the way down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

She's gettin' DOWN...looking good so far. Does it look like stock headers will fit and/or are there some "block huggers" that will work?

14. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Not sure yet, looking at a couple original sets of manifolds that might work, otherwise custom fabricated headers it is!

15. operatorfailure

operatorfailure

That looks great! Have you measured the front frame clearance where it is now? Looks to me like it will lay out with the dropped uprights. I just got my disk brake conversion done, now chopping and bagging are on my mind.

16. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

No, with everything installed, including 3" dropped uprights it is 1/2" off the ground.
    I was however thinking of doing my own uprights with a 3.5" drop......

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  17. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Welp since I want this car to lay frame I decided to make my own lowered uprights, I dropped them 3.375" the best I could find was Fatman's 3" dropped uprights which just weren't low enough. I cut the kingpin boss off of the spare set of uprights I had, aligned them with the kingpin through the original boss and the new boss. Welded on the new boss, and then removed the original boss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Been a while since I posted. Got my custom disc brakes done. I looked into all the aftermarket kits and heard a lot of horror stories on the loose spacers, bad design, fits on some cars but not others, etc.
    I decided to make my own disc brake system. Took a lot of research and decided to make it like a newer car. First I removed the factory hub from the drum. Then I machined all the proper tolerances into the hub and drilled the lug bolts out and installed wheel studs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then mocked up the rotor, designed and cut the bracket and installed calipers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This system should work awesome, uses the original hub so there is no spacers or extra parts. I am also running 16" rims, this does not clear the factory 15" rims. I am truly amazed at how well this system came together and fits and works perfect!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  19. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Next step..... steering.

20. farmer12

farmer12

Still looking good!

21. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

After seeing you fabricate your own disc brake set-up, I can't wait to see what you do with the steering! Lots of pictures please, you got some great work goin' on here.

22. 39plymouth

39plymouth

any updates id love to see the pics that dont show up any more.......

23. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Not too much going on with the car. Right now I'm working on the engine..... you'll all be in aw with this baby. 440 bored and stroked to a 572 and dual turbo charged. Right now the header fab is kicking my @$$ because keeping it within the wheelwells is hard on this car.
    I should be getting back on this project towards the beginning of the year, we'll see. Next step is to get the body off the chassis, c-notch it, finish the suspension and drivetrain then get to work on the body.

24. jeffh547

jeffh547
    from Florida

I was looking forward to seeing what you were doing. Unfortunately, most of the pics were gone. :eek: I leave my pics up for years. :)

[​IMG]

Sorry if this is a little over the top....just makin' a point. :D

25. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

I moved all my files around on photobucket so everything has new URL's I guess. I'll have to go through and update the posts.

26. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

OK, pics are all back up.

27. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Here's some pics of it with the uprights installed. I will be gusseting the uprights a bit once I pull them back off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think she got down pretty low..... Lay the frame.....

28. Westco48

Westco48

Have you decided what to do with the steering?...the box on my 48' Ply is done I did all the adjustments and it's all over the place...anyway I don't want to spend anymore on the stock steering as my plan was to upgrade the steering to manual R&P.

29. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Chevy Cavalier Power Steering Rack & Pinion but you can get a manual one too.

30. jeffh547

jeffh547
    from Florida

Thanks for the pics. :D