Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 305v6 GMC shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59pache, Nov 30, 2011.

1. 59pache

59pache

My pops and I just pick up our latest project. A 63 gmc with the 305v6. It's a second owner truck from Arkansas. The original owner passed away last year and the truck was sold to his neighbor who happened to be a local dealer. My pops jumped on this truck pretty fast since he had been looking for a big v6 for a while. And this truck has all the options he wanted. He made the trip in one day from southern Louisiana to northern Arkansas and back. His dad had one when he was young and he had always talked about buying one if he ever had the opportunity. It's kinda funny watching a 350lb man giggle with excitement. The truck has the scottsman special plaid valve covers that are in great shape. With the original running motor and trans. The body is in great shape with only a little surface rust. The bed wood is original and still solid. It has the dealer installed AC and everything works. New fluids, carburetor, and brakes and it runs like a champ. Someone had started sanding the drivers side at sone point so we touched it up a little. But I think were gonna keep it pretty simple with a shop truck logo and minor touches. Is anyone else running a big V6?[​IMG][​IMG]

2. I'll take that bumper.....;):)
    I'm tuning on a big 292 I6 in my 64 Chevy right now. Trying to get it going for a trip to Arizona here in a few weeks.

I've run a few of them 305s in the past. Even saved a couple of them from a flood a few years ago. Got them for free when I was told I could have them as flood waters were literally rolling into town. They are a good motor. Heavy, but a good motor.

3. 59pache

59pache

Damn. Wish I woulda came across that deal.

4. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm not too fond of V6's so I can't say I have any experience with these other than a friend of mine has a '69 GMC with one of those 305 V6's in it. He plans to swap it out for a Pontiac 455. That's about it.

However, I'm intrigued as to what the Scottsman special plaid valve covers look like. Got a picture you'd like to share?

Pretty nice truck too. Is it going to be a real shop truck and haul stuff around and be put to good use?

5. 59pache

59pache

I don't have any pics of under the hood right now. I will try to post some as soon as I can.

As for the truck part. It will definitely be used as one. Just like my apache is. And my suburban.

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Good. One of the things that annoy me is when people put the label "shop truck" on trucks that don't ever haul stuff around.

I definitely like the Apache in your avatar too.

7. 59pache

59pache

Thanks man. The apache has been my primary ride for the last four years. Some people think I'm crazy when they see some of the junk I'll put in the back of it. But that's what they were made for.

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Great looking truck. My dad had a '65 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 with the 305 that I wish I'd had the forsight to have kept.

Brian

9. squirrel

squirrel

heh...the 305 is the baby of the GMC V6 family. Someone around here is running the 478 in his bus.

I had a 63 jimmy with a knocking V6 about a year ago, I found a good used engine to put in it and got rid of the truck. I guess there ok if you've never driven an old truck with a big displacement engine....it's hard to go back to 305 cubes after trying a 454

10. Thats a great looking '63, y'all scored.

11. retrobuilder

retrobuilder

my dad had a '60 GMC with 305. That truck was solid! wish I still had it.

12. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

They are one of the weirder things GMC did - I have seen several sets of them over the years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ^Those would make the single most bitchin' Jello mold of all time..... and with the plaid, the misses may not even notice them in the pantry. I need a set.

14. 59pache

59pache

Took some more pictures today. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. 59pache

59pache

16. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Lord it love's gas - Man it is clean - The covers are a trip back in GMC time!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  17. 59pache

59pache

Put a Holley 500 on it and new brakes and it's running like a champ. Got a few surprises in store for pops during the Christmas holidays. Paint, wider rear wheels, and door lettering are next.

18. 59pache

59pache

Yea. It doesn't pass too many gas stations.

19. DcLn

DcLn

20. azsnow

azsnow

I love all GMC trucks over the Chevy's, even todays offerings. I wish I would have found the GMC version of my Cameo! You have a nice pair of bookends for sure!

21. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Put it inside the rain is on its way about Ruston now.

22. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Those foot holes in the bed were an option, not too many people ordered them, so it is kinda rare to see them now.

Gorgeous truck.

-W

p.s. an article about the plaid valve covers if you find that sort of thing interesting

23. cagedruss

cagedruss

Nice truck, really like the V6 idea. I was thinking of using that V6 in my COE project. Really like the way they sound.

24. 59pache

59pache

Yea it does have a real cool sound to it. Here it is hauling my Christmas presents I made for the family. ImageUploadedByTJJ1324763742.137736.jpg

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

26. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

what's the difference ? oh ya , the gmc is sold at the buick dealer

27. nexxussian

nexxussian

I saw one while I was out looking at Christmass lights with the family, even had the V6 badge on it still (on the side I saw anyway, before it drove away :) ).

28. Fine lookin trucks you have there 59 apache.
    My father inlaw has a 59 gmc with the same bed as your apache and a friend of mine has a v6 like that in a 60's bus,I didn't see the plaid vcovers tho.

29. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Good for you. Has the engine ever been rebuilt? To the best of your ability, what is the mpg?

30. M.Edell

M.Edell

I miss my old 60 GMC..What a great truck that was ,daily driver for alot of years.. [​IMG]