Register now to get rid of these ads!

side down rams horns?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rickhmn, Dec 23, 2011.

1. rickhmn

rickhmn
    from minnesota

can anyone post a picture of rams horns installed upside down? I have soem major clearance issues that this would solve and I think that the exhaust coming up, then out the inner fender and down thru the wheel well might look really cool. Will it work? Will the plugs clear?

2. I have seen LT-1 manifolds off about a 96 caprice on early iron before ... sure made me do a double take. Its made to dump up top with bizarre bends .... definatly not traditional but certainly a conversation piece

3. DrJ

DrJ

Tractor stacks! :cool:
    People put right side manifolds on left and everything else for clearance, so whatever fires your rockets!

4. I think you'll run into plug problems, but try it.
    I can't remember what car or make had them but there were some where the exhaust exited to the front & up and then down in front of the engine. Old Mercury maybe idk

The turbo guys flip the manifolds around all the time, but not center dump ram horns.

5. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

You might also look at mid 70's truck backwards or the small ones from from a 265 SBC

6. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yep, Y-Block.

7. rickhmn

rickhmn
    from minnesota

I figure plug clearance might be the worst part of it. There are some on EBAY that are advetised to work upside down. Tractor stacks wouldn't be that much of an oddity here in MN. :) I wonder about the cast ones that dump out the back put on upside down. That could work. I had some headers that were sort of close upside down that were rear dump block huggers. They hit the steering box.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatcha buildin'? Would a simple set of fenderwell headers work? Pictures?

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

These are not upside down, but are 2 1/2" Rams Horns on my 283 w/305 heads....
    Depending on what heads you use, it doesn't appear that it will work.
    Good luck,
    Cheers....

Attached Files:

10. How about one like this.

Attached Files:

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What the heck is that one?

12. Don't know. There was a set sitting in a pick-up box at the junkyard. They had cast iron caps bolted to the bottom. Seemed real as they had GM casting numbers. Never seen anything like them before, had to take picture.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weird. I can only think "turbo crossover".

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to make a set of headers from a kit to work ? Would sure look a lot better than upside down rams ! I honestly don't think they will work anyway .

Retro Jim

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

What is your SBC in? Pictures?

16. k9racer

k9racer

looks like it would have valve cover interference problems. If not it sure would make the oil a somewhat higher temp that close.

17. 80s-era Caprice, Monte Carlo manifolds come up and the left dumps further back, the right at the very back. Same era Camaro does also but appears to have the outlet angled out a few inches.

18. They were used on a Military track vehicle in the late 50s/early 60s. M114 I think. Had alum water pumps too. Still have one of the WPs. 4spd hydro too I think. They were an Army vehicle, were all over Alaska then.

19. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I'm with retro jim, wouldn't making headers be easier? I don't know what your ability to do that is, but I'm sure you could post on the mn h.a.m.bers social group and someone with a tig welder would weld em up for a case of beer.

attacking this from another angle, what are you building? We may collectivley be able to think of a aftermarket place that sells something for your application anyways.

20. rickhmn

rickhmn
    from minnesota

Commercial pipes for the application are available and, yes headers could be built but I want something that makes people look and grin or shake there head and say what the heck was he thinking. It's all going in a 62 lark. The pass side has lots of room but the driver side just has so much stuff! steering box, pitman arm, steering arm and the tie rods right under the steering arm. UGH.

21. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Here are a couple pictures that I just took. The Rams Horn manifolds hit the spark plugs and if they didn't (but they do) they'd hit the valve covers. Besides, it would look silly. I think even 265 manifolds curve up from the ports and turned upside down would go down into the spark plugs. The Camaro (I think)(someone mentioned pickup?)) exit down and back and might be able to be swaped side to side to exit at the front.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653352

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  22. rickhmn

rickhmn
    from minnesota

nope they don't fit do they.. I had no problems with the valve cover but the plugs were right under it. Maybe exiting at the front would work. I'll just keep tryin. Anybody want some 2" rams horns?

23. Kinda looks like the ones they used on Massey combines.

24. Just put your pants on backwards. get the same response without goofing up an otherwise nice car. :D:D

25. I was incorrect on the Camaro manifolds. I found a set on an '86 and pulled them Monday and the left one aims straight down. When I get a chance I'm going to compare it to the set on an '88 Caprice.

Was a total fluke, I was out there for other stuff and happened to look at this car, and someone put these on not too long before it ended up in the junkyard.

26. brad chevy

brad chevy

62 Lark if all you are just wanting people to look at it go get you some demolition derby headers and run them out of the hood. First impression will be what the hell 2nd impression,dumbass !