Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "RUSTY" Hemi Model A on 32 frame build: updated 10/25/15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noland, Nov 26, 2011.

1. igby

igby

doing great,nice pics, are u using hydrolic bearing or not?

2. Noland

Noland

thanks guys, jick yea it hard to keep the place clean and get stuff done. No Im not planning on running a hydraulic throw -out bearing. I may use a hydraulic slave cylinder to activate the clutch or it might be all linkage Im undecided but definatly no hydraulic throw-out bearing.

Tim likes this.
  3. Noland

Noland

I worked on the grill some more today. Its really seems to be taking alot longer than I thought to build all the bars for the insert and weld them in the grill. So far I have 13 bars welded in the grill. it seems that every one need to be tweaked to make it fit just right. I get it done sooner or later.

Tim likes this.
  4. rustydibris

rustydibris

very nice... love the motor mounts and the shock towers. The grill is amazing too... Keep up the good work!

5. Noland

Noland

Thanks I try to do decent work, Ive been working on the center x member lately. I'll post some pictures soon

6. Noland

Noland

I did do some more work on the grill. I put it on the back burner since I got the metal to make my center x member. I have it about half way now.
    [​IMG]
    But like I said I would sooner be working on my frame then that grill. I laid out my design for my x member with some old yard sticks vise-gripped together. This worked really nice because it gave me all the lenghts and also helped me figure out my angles.
    [​IMG]
    I got some 1/8" bent up into a c shape at the local fab shop.
    [​IMG]
    Then I laid out all the holes I wanted to put in it to give it some charactor. The holes are 3 1/2". Then away I went to the drill press.
    [​IMG]
    With a little heat it took the shape I wanted rather easily. I bent it over the boom of my engine crane.
    [​IMG]
    after doing this proccess two times I had both sides. now I just trimmed them to fit. I got them mocked up thats all the further I got so far. I also took the transmission out to make sure it would be possible with the crossmember in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  7. Noland

Noland

I made the transmission mount/crossmember over the last few days. Im really happy with the way it turned out. I sorta reminds me of a drop axle.
    [​IMG]
    installed
    [​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

really neat work.

9. rustydibris

rustydibris

i like that cross member as well... I like were this is going and makes me wantto get back at mine.

10. Noland

Noland

thanks everyone. Im trying to come up with a neat/nice way of mounting the rear ladder bars.

11. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Hard to beat a chopt A coupe on deuce rails!!! Keep up the good work!!!

12. Noland

Noland

yea I already have a model A on a model A frame. I figured this would be the next one to add to the collection.

13. farmer12

farmer12

14. deuce354

deuce354

Nice job!!!!!

15. Noland

Noland

Thanks everyone for the support. Ive been working on the bracket/crossmember that Im going to attach my rear ladder bars to. I started with a piece of 3'' x 1/4" flat stock then I welded in two tapered bungs to accepted F600 tie Rods.
    [​IMG]
    Then I welded some sides to it so I could bolt it in (3 3/8 bolts on each side)as well as some gussets. There will also be bolts that come up the the x member to help prevent the crossmember from wanting to kick.(2 3/8 bolts on each side)
    [​IMG]
    Installed
    [​IMG]
    picture of the Tie rods I'll be using. they came from a 1960 F600. I will eventually buy new ones for final assembly.
    [​IMG]

16. Noland

Noland

Thanks Deek

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  17. Noland

Noland

Ive been working on the rear suspension. I started by changing out the rear crossmember. I decided the pancaked one that I tacked in wasnt going to give me the rake I wanted. That why I just tack stuff. I like to change stuff mid-way. Well luckly I had another crossmember to choose from. Im not sure the exact year but Im thinking late 30s. I had to remove 3" from the width of the crossmember to make it fit frame. obviously you cant take the 3" from one side so I took a 1 1/2" from both sides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had a picture of it finish welded and smoothed up but I dont know what happen to it.
    I then made the brackets for the ladder bars to attach to.
    [​IMG]
    Then I went on to building the ladder bars. I decided to put a bend in the bottom runner because without it I felt they looked short and fat.
    [​IMG]
    I then installed some bracing. I tried to come up with a decent design that Ive never seen before.
    [​IMG]
    Ive only got the drivers side built so far. Thats about it for now. Thanks for looking.

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Geesh those parts are rusty and filthy!!! If I didn't know any better I'd think this was Thunderbiresq's thread haha!!! The fabrication is spot on though and it's turning out awesome!!!!

19. Noland

Noland

Thanks Jeffrey and yea Thunderbirdsq's build is looking great

20. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work! I like the original thought in the designs.

21. Noland

Noland

Thank you very much.

22. Noland

Noland

I also built these shackle mounts. They are made of 1/4''. they are just tacked for now until I get all my brackets tacked on and I can take the rearend out and fully weld them. Eventually it will get capped top and bottom with 3/16" to give it a I beam look.
    [​IMG]

23. Noland

Noland

I managed to get all the ladder bar and leaf spring brackets welded to the rear end. The pictures are alittle dark I thought they were better but its hard to tell on the camera. I might try to get some better ones tomorrow. I took and rapped the leaf spring mounts with 1/8" to give it a I beam look and give it some more strength. I also added a support to tie the ladder bar mounts together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

looks really good!!!!

25. Noland

Noland

Thanks, Im thinking about reworking my ladder bar mount, the one that holds them to the x member. I dont like the way it looks. I think it looks like shit honestly. so Im going to try to make one thats alittle more stylish.

26. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Nice thread and a good looking build.

27. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i liked your ladder bar mount i thought it was pretty cool!!

28. Nice work!

I like that you are keeping with the I-beam look with your mounts, it looks good without being overdone.:cool:

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Keep it up, ginger.:D

Looks killer Noland!