Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56 big window build second time around

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Van Dyke, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Excellent truck and story, Bill. Gotta say I love the meadow green and the interior combo as well. That bisquit pattern in brown leather is just freaking sexy...

2. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

3. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Bed wood is in place for trial fit before oiling and sanding. I'm not too keen on the shiney clear coatings anymore. Rather just periodically re-oil. I like the light oak color so wont be going too dark. Ro (my wife) has volunteered to do the finish work..which is good since she has more patience than me. I really like the hidden bolt bed strips because they give me some flexability needed due to the under bed tank. Installing the seat belts also.

Attached Files:

4. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Excellent job on one of my favorite truck models, done just the way I like 'em. I hope that Custom Trucks or Custom Classic Trucks does a feature on it so that you get well deserved recognition beyond the HAMB. Since you've shot quality photos and written detailed text, all they will have to do is a little editing, and they're good to go!

5. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thanks billsill45.

6. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Solid side windows installed..Not much help from the instructions. Doesn't anyone include drawings or pics with their instructions anymore? I can always count on the camera to give me a different color every time!

Attached Files:

7. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

A few update photos. Man do I work slow! The front tilt hood prop is a 36"x 3/8" swedged alum. rod that hooks to one of the original rear hood hinge brace bolts. super stable for any wind gusts. The light oak bed was sanded and finished with Watco clear Danish oil by my wife Roberta. Interior is done except for carpet. The last shot of the decal shows that I might be too old to fly the "Hun" anymore, I can still drive one.:)

Attached Files:

8. Graybeard

Graybeard
    from BC

Very cool build. And you have superb builder skills!

'beard

9. beauishere

beauishere

You took out the wind wings? Don't you like that constant whistle? I never thought about that with mine. Good thinking.

Beautiful work. Looks super comfortable.

10. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thanks guys. Actually the single side glass came about because I needed more arm rest room while driving. Think it looks cleaner also.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  11. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Happy with the stance and the So-CalAz wheel rings. The end strip on the bed was cut to allow it to fit level with the side flange.(no end wood reveal cut). Just didn't care for the recommended Mid Fifties overlap look. Nit picking I suppose but important to me. Sure glad I moved the front wheel center-line ahead 1- 1/4" when I installed the Heidt front end. Doesn't look as nose heavy.

Attached Files:

12. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

After 6 years Ol' Green finally took a drive around the block..no problems and nothing fell off!! Now it's time to start putting all the pieces together I have for the 32 full fendered roadster. I'll start a build thread soon. Thanks to all my HAMB friends for the support. Bill

Attached Files:

13. Tacson

Tacson

Nice real my friend

14. Very nice Bill. Hope to see it soon. I like them trucks and you have a great example. That seat looks comfy.

15. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

A few updates. The stock wheel is mated to the Flaming River tilt column. And a pic after it's first drive in 5 years. Thanks to all you guys for the advice and encouragement. Bill

Attached Files:

16. bonesy

bonesy

Outstanding - it really came out nice!

17. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Oh, nice job Bill! The truck looks great. There is nothing like going out on that first
    drive. It looks like it would be nice to drive!

18. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Great job. I love the truck. That color looks great too.

19. Good to see you are "On The Road Again".......Simply one of the finest F-100's I can recall.
    And that Meadow Green is the cat's pajamas.

20. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Awesome! Congrats, man...