Register now to get rid of these ads!

Couple of Model A Questions From a New Owner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NeedFiber, Dec 22, 2011.

1. NeedFiber

NeedFiber

Hey check out...my first post. I've been here many times over the years but decided to make it official as I bought a 30 Tudor Sedan A last week. Should be delivered around the 3rd. Is pretty much a chopped/channeled body on a Rod Store Z'd frame. So....while I'm waiting for my first A bone to show up, can someone tell me about what the inside width is between the front doors? I was looking at wrecking yard mini truck bench seats yesterday...hoping they are close in width. Also, about what is the inside to inside width of where you would typically mount engine mounts on the frame? Trying to determine which engine to pull out of which doner car out of my dead fleet. I'd kinda like to off the car I use as the doner before the "A" shows up...I'm out of spaces!
    Thanks and Merry Christmas!
    Dave

2. If you will have it the third, why don't you just measure it yourself? Just put a SBC in it, I think they came stock with those.

3. NeedFiber

NeedFiber

Oh I don't want to wait....acting like a kid...gettin excited about a new project. No SBC's in this one...I have a 318 poly, an 8-BA and a 59-AB. My other hot rods are Chevy's with Chevy's...need something fresh.

4. 201

The middle seat from a mid '90's Mopar mini-vans fit good . You can get them pretty cheap. Youngest daughter took her's out for room to take friends to a concert and never saw it again!!!

5. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

My coupe which I'm pretty sure has the same dimensions is about 40" where the seat sits and the frame rails are about 2 feet apart where the motor mounts will be.

6. oj

oj

I'd suggest the original model 'a' seats, they tip forward independantly so's you get get stuff behind them. get the bishop-tardell book and read it, all the motor mount measurements are included and they explain why they do do something instaed of just instructing you to do it. Search Vern Tardell, How to Build a Hot Rod Ford - it is kinda like a bible.

7. Tank

Tank

Yeah man, pick up the book. Its a great guide on how to put a flathead in a stock model A frame. If yours is on an aftermarket Z'd frame though, You'll have to make some changes from the book. Also the stock seats will be way too tall if its already chopped and channeled. Any pics we can see?

8. NeedFiber

NeedFiber

I'll have to check and see if that book was on my Christmas list...I asked for a few model A rodding books. Ya I figure the lower on the seat the better. Most of the mini truck seats are about 8" from floor to the top of the foam...pretty low. I'll take a look at those middle row seats but I'm thinking they may be pretty tall...the car has a 3.5" chop and with no floor the channel is not set but it looks like she is sitting at about 4" down on the channel. 4" z front, 8" rear, 4" drop axle. I'm thinking another 2" off the pillars....beer can height (tall boy). Looks like this site does not host images so no pics yet.
    Thanks for the info guys....