Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoe-horn the hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommythecat79, Dec 21, 2011.

1. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

So my 331 is in the machine shop right now getting the full treatment but I have this 354 block that I bolted to my T5 via a wilcap adapter kit. I am trying to mock everything up so I can build some motor mounts and a tranny mount, but I dont have any of my front drive components or a radiator yet. I am going to school full time so I am working on a tight budget. I wish I had enough cash to buy all my parts and then put them together but right now I have to work with what I've got. To make a long story longer my engine did not have any of the front drive components when I bought it so I plan on buying the front drive kit from Hot Heads. But until that day I would like to be able to build some mounts. So hopefully you hemi guys can help me out. I am trying to determine how much room I need to leave from the front of the engine block to the radiator mounts on the front crossmember. Like I said, I plan on using the HHH front drive kit w/the BB chevy water pump and a mechanical cooling fan. probably a walker radiator and a 32' grill shell. here are a couple of pics of what I have going so far. thanks for any help you guys can offer, and sorry for being so long winded.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      225.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      201.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      220.6 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      214.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Skirv

Skirv

I just went and measured mine for you. Approx. 6 3/4" from the front of the block to the front of the waterpump pulley using the HH set-up on a 392 Chrysler. My Walker radiator is approx. 9" forward of the front face of the engine block. I'm using a mechanical fan with a 1" spacer. The radiator could actually be tighter to the front of the engine.

3. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

Thanks for the info man, I know I've checked out your coupe before on here that is a thing of beauty for sure. Did you do all of the fab work yourself that firewall is awesome. Also I havent purchased my radiator yet either so I'm assuming that is 9" to the back surface of the radiator right or is that to the mounting holes in the front crossmember. Thanks again

4. Skirv

Skirv

Thanks. Yes, I made the firewall and matching interior stuff myself. I also made my own engine mounts and such for the Chrysler. Sorry I should have specified, that measurement was to the back surface of the radiator. I can measure to the mounting holes if you need.

5. George

George

If you have a '55 331(354 also) the long BBC W/P will fit over the stock timing cover. Best i can measure, the distance from the block to the front of the W/P hub is 10" for the OEM W/P & the long BBC.

6. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

Skirv that would be awesome if you could get those measurements, I don't have the radiator yet either, I am sure I could call walker and get the dimensions but if you have them that would be great thanks again.

D-russ the motor mounts that are on there right now are the Hot Heads Chassis engineering ones, I got them with the engine and I just put them up there to get some measurements. I plan on fabbing up my own but I will probably use the bushings from these mounts.

George, The 331 that I bought didn't have any of the front drive components on it so I don't have have the timing set cover or anything. I bought the complete rebuild kit from HHH that has the new timing set and stuff but I still need to buy the front drive kit with the timing cover and water pump and pulleys. The 354 I bought a long time ago and it had a bunch of marine drive crap on it so it didnt have any of the front drive either. Plus if you zoom in on the first picture you can see a pretty massive crack in the side of the block so I am just using it for mock up while my 331 is in the machine shop.