Register now to get rid of these ads!

Man I want Bonneville Salt Badly.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B1RDMAN, Jun 22, 2009.

1. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

From N.J. and I and My father been talkin about it a long long time. I started in January and it looked like this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] to my man joe's to do the sheetmetal fabrication.
    from this,[​IMG]
    to this,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nose job

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then By Mid March it looked like this.
    Night Vision Required. I ran out of daylight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I am here.

After,
    [​IMG]
    No paint booth, No wet floor, just a back pack blow out of the dust, Another blow out of dust with compressor and blow tool, and that shitty old touch up gun hanging on the wall behind the car next to water seperator, I just couldn't wait no more....

Still have to run fuel lines, trans cooler lines, and re assemble. Shake it down in less than 8 weeks.... Damn I need some helpers around here.

2. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

It looks really good.

3. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Keep up the good work!

4. Spike!

Spike!

I made the trip to Bonneville in 2007 from PA. as a passenger in a '31 ford coupe and it was the single most memorable trip I have ever made. You will never regret all the time and effort it took to do it in a hot rod. In my opinion it's really the ONLY way to do the trip. I have a canister of salt you can return this year for me...I may not make it again until next year. Keep up the good work. Hope you make it!

Spike

5. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

congratulations, sounds like a lot of fun

6. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

wow, thanks guys. I know one thing. Alot of my friends who I figured would help me out became magicians, They got the disappearing act down pat. Been doing a ton of this car myself. AND I LOVE IT. Two good buds stopped by to help hang the nose thank god, and my dads been there all the time but really I am horrible at wiring and Am going to conquer that once and for all in next couple of weeks.
    Doing passenger side quarter this weekend, and re assembly of the body hopefully once and for all.....
    I sure as hell hope I make it, Figuring if I get lucky Syracuse for Nationals can be a shorter maiden voyage to work some bugs and kinks out....Wish me luck!! Thanks again.

7. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

wet sanded and buffed tonight, threw rear fender on looked so bad I had to wetsand and buff that too. new welting in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. RDR

RDR

will be watching for that green 40 coupe @ Bville over Speedweek...Keep up the good work and keep the faith, you'll make it ! I'll be driving the scalloped Watson Grapevine clone..See ya there

9. JAWS

JAWS

I will see you there hopefully......Good luck!

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice Coupe! Be sure to apply some of that anti salt stuff on the underside. Someone her will remember the brand name.

11. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

how fast do you think it will go

12. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

hopefully it will go good.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  13. Grandaddy-O

Grandaddy-O

BIRDMAN

Really NICE 40 ... makes me want to start puttin mine back together "again". However I wanted to pass on the following to anyone wanting to hit the salt for this years speed week ... here is your big break!

Last year was my first pilgramage to Bonnevillle ... WOW! everybody needs to do it at least ONCE! Last year I planned my trip too late and spent days trying to find a hotel room ... so this year I made some reservations in early February. As it turns out, I have an extra week long reservation at a hotel in Wendover for Speed Week that I could turnover to a fellow gearhead. However, you need to contact me via email very soon as I must pay-up in advance or give-up the reservation on the 1st of July.

flat black 40's 4ever!

"granddaddy-O"

14. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

private message sent thank you sir.

15. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

Well some progress has been made Had the whole nose back off for the body work, spent better part of this weekend, putting everything back together and lining it up. Buff out Passenger door, and run Wiring harness next.
    I may make it after all. Very little shakedown time but damn me if I miss this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Buzznut

Buzznut

Looking awesome!

17. Greezy

Greezy

Nice 40. I took my first trip out there in 07, in my then fresh 40 coupe. Funnest damn thing I ever did. I havent been the same since. Cant wait for the return trip this year. Get some salt away, or treat it to another protective substance. It is rough on stuff.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  18. sawzall

sawzall

awesome!

hope we both make Syracuse

19. brewsir

brewsir

man that car looks good! Have fun at Bonneville!

20. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

long way to go before I leave for bonneville, but thanks all. Start wiring the car this week, I get over that hurdle and I'll feel like I am alot closer. Can't wait.

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I love 40's. Will look for you on the Salt. Good luck with the rest of the build.

22. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Looks like a helluva lot of fun.

23. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Love them 40s - looking good

24. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

2400 Miles each way with no other stops.. Nah, Went the long way hit Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Salt Flats for Speedweek, Grand Canyon and Graceland on a whirlwind tourn

Mission Accomplished. 2011 was a good yr.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Way Home.....RT 66 Had to do it.

Just under 6k miles in 16 Days. Minimal Breakage but made it under its own power.

25. tinmann

tinmann

Somehow, two years were lost or unaccounted for in the telling of this story. Nice '40 though............

26. Congrats! I like than you kept the same thread. Mission accomplished.
    Bil

Attached Files:

27. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Man that is one sweet 40 Ford! Great Job! It looks beautiful on the salt!

28. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I love 1940 Fords, glad you made it to the salt. I will, too, one day, hopefully.

29. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

That is a nice sleeper. Problem with B-ville is that your ass will go to itching every august from here on out. You will want to go again.

30. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

I been itching to go back since I left... that place is like a Crack lake I guess lol.
    2 yrs were lost in the telling of this story because I changed jobs in July of 2009, and had a tree fall through my home in March of 2010 Best I could do to hold it all together and still make it was this yr... Funny thing though My dad and I both say it took us 15 yrs to get there because of how long we "Said" we would like to go. now that I have gone I can't wait to get back there.... Going to try not sure if it will work this yr but we are trying.