Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering your 1955-1959 Chevrolet/GMC truck with Posies "dual flex" springs.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by selfmadehell, Jul 21, 2011.

1. selfmadehell

selfmadehell

I need to start this thread by saying I've never been more impressed with a bolt on. I've been running de-arched modified leaf springs on three different trucks. Every time I have been stoked on the drop, yet bummed by the ride. For a little insight, I have a '59 GMC 100 Swb apache. It's dropped 3-4" via mono leafs in the rear and de-arched de-leafed stock springs(garbage). Last week I ordered a set of Posies "dual flex" front drop leaf springs. I was immediately skeptical of the results. I have been bump steering for decades. Removed bump stops for clearance issues. I have disc brakes and PS. I bolted up Posies 3" drop dual flex springs on a whim. Ordered them from speedway 5 days earlier. Installed new shackles and eye bolts. Drove ye olde truck around the block, awesome. Drove it over the worst streets that portland has to offer, could not get it to bottom. Over speed bumps an pot holes? No bump. I'm blown away. I couldn't find any reviews or any install info for posie springs. We'll see how they are in 1500 miles, but for now... I'm amazed.

2. selfmadehell

selfmadehell

My only complaint is that the ride height only dropped 2.25 inches. I have however been assured by posies that after 1k miles it'll settle another 3/4 to 1".

3. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

i have the same springs w/ a 3" drop axle... just sitting in my shop with only the engine in the chassis, they have dropped almost an inch since i installed them about 6 months ago... i think they'll settle even more after driving some... i'd suggest some low profile bump stops- the ones i found are only about an inch thick... any pics of your truck?

4. selfmadehell

selfmadehell

Just installed Em tonight. Pics in my album are pre posies, yet dropped. The importance of the spring rate and improved ride is what I can't stress enough. Amazed.

5. Super Slide Springs

Super Slide Springs

Thanks for the nice review Selfmade. If you have any questions please contact us. From you post it sounds like you have it nailed.

Thanks for the interest,

Todd Fenton @ POSIES

6. selfmadehell

selfmadehell

No problem Todd. In a world where there are plenty of suspension options, and a lot of crap, it's nice to see well made parts that actually do what they are supposed to. I've recommended them several times to pals, and will continue to.
    Cheers, Jeff

7. 1958apache

1958apache

Take some pics already!!!

:D I want to get them

8. azsnow

azsnow

Good review! Whats your PS setup?

9. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

This thread is relevant to my interests.

10. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Yes, pictures with the Posies installed would be greatly appreciated. I'm considering my choices for lowering my 55 this winter. Are you using the CPP power steering setup?

11. I have POSIES springs on my 48 suburban and I couldn't be happier. The added leaves for the extra weight and it sits perfect. 3" drop on the nose. On top of that it handles great.

12. selfmadehell

selfmadehell

Essentially it's the CPP set up I just pieced it together from the parts they use, Toyota box etc...

13. selfmadehell

selfmadehell

Sorry she's a little dirty, took this today. 1959 GMC 100 SWB Fleetside with Posies duo flex 3" drop springs in front. 3" drop Mono leaf rear(can't remember if I did Lowered shackles too), 225 70 15 fronts, and 255 70 15 rears...[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  14. selfmadehell

selfmadehell

Though I love the ride that I have, I'm going to be doing a Camaro front clip this winter. I've run into the all too common conundrum, I want it Loooooowwww! Real low, and potentially bagged in the future. I'll be selling My entire front end, Hub to hub w/ discs, tapered rollers, calipers, spindles, axle posies dual flex springs bilstiens, power steering box etc. I'll keep you all updated. It'll be a month or two, but i'll let everyone know. I'd like to just sell it all to one lucky party, and preferably in the portland area. Wait for it....

15. selfmadehell

selfmadehell

[​IMG]

16. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Thanks for the pictures and other info. My 55 has an early CPP power assist setup the PO had installed. I personnally don't have enough miles on it to judge how it performs. It's good to understand what other people are running and if they're happy with their setup. I think it's time I tried a set of the Posies on mine.

17. selfmadehell

selfmadehell

My only complaint is that right hand turns are a little challenged. I've bent the steering arm a bit but can't seem to get the same radius as the left side. No use now, camaro clip showed up today... bom, bom, bom.

18. spaztik

spaztik

Put me on the list of interested parties for the old front end. I am in Central Wa. It would bolt right up to my 59.

19. melsfine39

melsfine39

I'm using Posies with a 3" dropped axle from Sids on my 48 GMC also using the CPP power steering conversion with a disc brake kit from Speedway,here are some photos. Mel:D

Attached Files:

20. Buzznut

Buzznut

SELFMADEHELL, what size is your tire/wheel combo? Did you have any issues fitting the rear?

21. selfmadehell

selfmadehell

Running reverse smoothies with 225 70 15 front and 255 70 15 rear. Fronts fit great. Rears are a bit close but fine. Switching over to 205 70 15 with regular smoothies after the new mods. The other rubber looks a little too meaty.

22. LDO

LDO
    from USA

I'm interested in the Posies 3" drop springs as well but they list them as a 3" drop from original ride height but who the heck knows what that is? I would think that the original leafs will have some significant sag in them by now.

In my case, my front fenders (measuread at the 12o'clock position) is at 28 1/4 inches from the ground and I'm running 245/60-15s on all 4 corners.

I'm concerned that I may install these springs and while the ride will surely improve, the truck will actually sit higher in the front than it currently does.

Don't mean to jack your thread but any advice?

23. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Bitchin post! I just noticed 2 days ago that my front axle had taken a shit with regards to the king pin bores so this AM I ordered the Springs from Posies for both the front and rear of my truck. I also ordered a new front axle from CPP and will install that this time around. I'm surprised that shit went south so quick in my '56 but who knows! I drive it everyday and it must have just decided is was time to wear out. I had mono leafs all around on my deal and the ride was pretty nice, but the truck is super low and doesn't really function with regards to hauling capacity etc. I'm looking forward to putting it back together next week with all the new stuff.

Thanks,

Robert M.

24. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Wow, Wow, Wow.... My truck rides PERFECT with these new springs! Thanks again for doing this write up! I had my rig off the road for about 1 week and replaced the Mono-Leaf's with the Posies Dual Flex in the front and their Multi Leaf lowered units in the back. I also finally added the 1" dia Sway-Bar to the front end and buttoned her back up. It's a whole new truck. Sonoma County is really nice for roads as long as you stay on the Hwy. ;-) anything else and it's pure shit. So Far, So Good! I'm 100% stoked on this change. The only bitch I have is that I'm not really happy quite yet with the height of the rear on my truck. I'm going to install dropped shackles later this week to see if I can dial it back into the proper "Cool Look" that I once had.

Best Regards,

Robert M.

Attached Files:

25. LDO

LDO
    from USA

Syndicate,
    I sent you a pm.

26. culvercityclassic

culvercityclassic
    from California

Any updates on the rides? Pictures?