Register now to get rid of these ads!

My New Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 68Camaro427, Dec 16, 2011.

1. 68Camaro427

68Camaro427

Greetings, all. After months of searching, I've finally found my next project - a 1929 Model A 5 window. It's bone stock and complete, and the deal comes with an extra rolling chassis and some engine/transmission parts. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to sell much of the extras to finance portions of the build.

Plans call for boxing the frame (haven't decided what, if any, Z I'll do), splitting the wishbone, and ladder bars on a 9" carried over from a previous project. The engine choice is still being discussed. I have a fire breathing SBC ready to put together, and I also have a 215 Olds V8 with a 4-71 blower that my pops and I were going to use in a T project of his that may find its way between the rails.

I'll be sure to post pics of my progress, and welcome the input. This place has been a wonderful source of inspiration!! Now I only have an 18 hour drive to go pick it up next week...

Attached Files:

2. 68Camaro427

68Camaro427

Quick update - I will be in this guy's driveway at noon Monday to pick it up. I'm so excited! I've built it in my mind no less than three times today. Still have to get my trailer out from under the snow and get my Camaro ready to go onto it (I'm trading the Camaro in my avatar for it).

3. 68Camaro427

68Camaro427

Well, it looks like I'll be changing my log in name :)

2350 miles in a day and a half, six tanks of diesel, and several stories to go in my vault. She's MINE!!

I think I've decided on the engine - a buddy of mine has offered up a vintage 396 to me, so there will be two big block Model A's in the family.

Attached Files:

• 29A1.JPG
      29A1.JPG
      File size:
      352.3 KB
      Views:
    • 29A2.JPG
      29A2.JPG
      File size:
      364.6 KB
      Views:
  4. cederholm

cederholm

NICE! Congratz, that thing looks solid!

5. jerseymike

jerseymike

wow! looks really solid. great car to start with. good luck.

6. 68Camaro427

68Camaro427

Yes, it's very solid. Not that I'm going to use it, but the engine has less than 100 miles on it since overhaul, so it still purrs like a kitten. Since it came with a spare frame that looks very straight (I'll confirm as I go), I think I'll box that and get it ready to go first, which will allow me to still drive it stock. My kids thought I was nuts to trade my Camaro for it, but now that they've seen it in person, thoughts have changed. A buddy of mine went with me and had the same 'What the hell are you doing?' attitude until he saw it. He now understands the vision. I can't wait to get started!!

7. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

Great find, don't find many that look that solid or complete. Good luck!

8. 68Camaro427

68Camaro427

Thanks! I feel very lucky to have such a good starting point. Everything but the horn works (someone clipped the wires to it, so that may change, too)!!

9. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Looks like a great foundation!

I built a '29 Ford roadster a few years back. Had many, many, ideas in my head that changed by the week at first. I was a musclecar guy (still am actually) so I really wanted to go FAST.

But my taste changed as I studied more and more cars on the HAMB. I eventually decided that I would do a more traditional build that only used parts up to a certain point in history. For me it was 1962. There are many cars built on the HAMB using this approach, and to me, that Model A you have is a perfect candidate for that type of build.

Just an idea. If you have a 396, you may want to pick 1965?

Its hard to go back once you start cutting. So its great to have an overall vision before you start that you feel comfortable with. Please keep that in mind before you start tearing that old girl apart. Good luck!! :)

Mike

10. Ghost28

Ghost28

How cool it that and now it's in the denver area and it can be seen in person. I know it had to be a fairly tough decision on the trade, but in the long run if you are happy that's what counts. let me know if there is anything ya need.
    John

11. 68Camaro427

68Camaro427

I couldn't agree more, Mike. I've already had several 'builds' in my mind, but most go back to a more traditional approach. My friend who did this roadtrip with me suggested an LS engine swap. I almost booted him from my truck!! :)

I'm going to check the engine numbers this weekend on that 396. My friend believes it's at least as old as '68, and since that's the year I was born, that would work for me :)

12. 68Camaro427

68Camaro427

Thanks, John, and you're right, it only counts that I'm happy with the trade. I appreciate the offer of assistance. I'm going to spend the day today clearing a spot for it and cataloging the spare parts.

John, is there a local market for these old parts? I've got two extra transmissions, several electrical items (generators, starters, etc), as well as a spare banjo diff, springs, wishbone, etc. Hopefully someone could use them, and I can offset the cost of the build.

13. farmer12

farmer12

Congrats, looks like a cool project!

14. wheelsrus

wheelsrus
    from nevada

Don't break that radiator ornament!

15. congrats...gonna be a fun project...enjoy

16. Wow, what solid looking car, and I love 28-29's. Have fun!!

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you came out pretty good on that one. Unless you find someone who wants all of the stock running gear that looks like the makings of a Model A speedster that would be real easy and inexpensive to get on the road.
    Before you start swapping frames around check the title against the Vin number on the frame under the car as you may need to use that frame in the build.

18. Ghost28

Ghost28

John, is there a local market for these old parts? I've got two extra transmissions, several electrical items (generators, starters, etc), as well as a spare banjo diff, springs, wishbone, etc. Hopefully someone could use them, and I can offset the cost of the build.[/QUOTE]

There is Burts early ford, and then another place just noth of I-70 not sure of what it's called. but both places only give pennys on the dollar for your parts. your best bet is the local craigs list , and maybe :eek: EBAY for the best money. There is always the HAMB classified. I have had good results selling to our own kind. I got a couple of nice mid 60s 283 engines, but that 96er sounds like a nice power plant. Wanna trade.:D
    John

19. colorado51

colorado51

Cool, sounds like a fun project, I like the early 396 engine choice too!