Register now to get rid of these ads!

I just got this nice 50 Chevy Deluxe! And so it begins..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JVK54, Dec 4, 2011.

1. JVK54

JVK54

Well, I finally belong to the 2 door club. I just picked up this very solid 50 Chevy that I could ill afford, but couldn't live with the regret if I let it pass for the 3 grand I paid for it..Soooo, the plan for the winter is to dechrome, nose deck, shave and chop it, and lower(on the cheap for now-Just 3" Lowering blocks and cut coils) go to 12v and rewire everything..and make it sound good.. I'm running the 235/Powerglide set up. Gonna go to dual exhaust(of course) ans was wondering about sound on this particular set up..straight out the Lakes pipes vs.dual glasspacks?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WOW!! That's pretty solid for the northeast. Keep us posted on you progress. Tons of potential. Lots of 49-54 guys on here.
    I think the best sound from the split exhaust is made like this: 1-3/4' pipes out of the headers. short glasspacks ( keep them closer to the front of the car), 1-1/2" pipes out the rear after the glasspacks. Good luck!! Todd

3. wow very nice , its a good foundation to start with.When you pay a lil more you get a lil less rust !lol My 51 buick was cheep but she came with lotsa rust!

4. JVK54

JVK54

Thanks Todd,
    I'm gonna need a new harness, and Rebel Wire is HAMB certified..so you will hear from me soon.
    Best,
    Jesse

5. real nice buy for 3000, tugmaster is right on the money with those duels. did many like that. there is no other sound that compares. good luck,maybe see you around with it next year. tom

6. JVK54

JVK54

..ps ..Hopefully I won't have to sell my 54 Buick to finance this build. But things could get out of hand quick if I'm not careful.

7. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

8. JVK54

JVK54

How do these sound and run with no mufflers at all..just dumping out lakes pipes?

9. JVK54

JVK54

How do these sound and run with no mufflers at all..just dumping straight out the lakes pipes?

10. I think it would sound MUCH better as I described earlier. Louder isn't always better.
    If this is your first Chevy I suggest you checkout www.chevytalk.com
    They have a section devoted to 49-54 Chevys. Also, for parts: Chevs of the 40's, Nation Chevy association and the truck and car shop in Orange Ca. Todd

11. Like the headlite bezels.

12. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

That is a clean car ,lower it and put duels on it ,extend the skirts down ,new chrome ,and call it a day ,straight pipes all the way out to the back sound good, dumping out the lake pipes it will sound like an outboard motor ,(all of this is just my opinion) -it has 3.55 gears in it so it will cruise nice .joe

13. usmile4

usmile4

Tugmaster is spot on with his comments. when I got my 49 it had only lakes pipes. After driving it home on the expressway and driving for a few days I realized that loud was not better. I went for the Fenton headers and dual glass packs and now it can be loud or it can be nice. I can make it rap real nice if I want to.

Chevytalk is a nice forum as he mentioned and I went with the Rebel harness in the 49. I have since sold the 49 and am working on a 51 and the Rebel harness is waiting go go in.

14. JVK54

JVK54

Hmmmm..and I'm thinking about frenching 'em. Well back to downloading pics of early 50s chops..speaking of which I can't find pics of the HAMB member with the chopped green and white either 50 or 51. I think he's in Ontario..any help?

15. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

If you want to save some$ split the stock manifold ,( there is a thread in the tech section ) ,use the one on the car or find a spare , you might also try steelpacks ,my 50 has them and i like the sound , -good luck with it -joe

16. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

you are right on the price being too good to pass up, if this is the car you are looking for.
    keep us posted on the progress.

17. JVK54

JVK54

Thanks Joe..I'll have a look.

18. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

That was a good buy!
    Great start for what your going to do. I like your plans.

19. JVK54

JVK54

More questions-
    Steel headers vs. Cast Iron (Fentons )?- Steel is about 100 bucks cheaper..BUT do they suck?
    Floor Shifters?- Any low budget suggestions for my Powerglide 2 speed auto?
    Stance- I want the stance to be LOW like my 54 Buick(see avatar) - Will 3" blocks and cut coils get me there..or do I have to go to drop spindles, de-arched springs or something. I really want to stay away from bags for now if at al po$$ible.
    Thanks and remember "There are no stupid questions, just inquisitive assholes"

20. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Awesome score! Definately have great plans for it, I'm looking forward to the progress!

21. JVK54

JVK54

3" blocks in back and dropped the coils about an inch and 1/2. Think if I take out a ouple of the leaf springs and drop the nose another 1 1/2-2" I'll have a nice old school. taildragger stance .
    [​IMG]

22. BadLuck

BadLuck

What a great car, you'll have fun with this one!

23. 50styleline

50styleline

Good score keep us posted,,,,,if your getting rid of the chrome I am needing the fender and door beltline trim for both sides. I swapped to disc brakes up front. I have those and others parts, let me know what you might be needing.

24. fullthrottle53

fullthrottle53

Hey! I have a matching Sedan Delivery! Are you going original or you going to hot rod?

25. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

cool car, looks like a clean start. it would be cool with an early 50s custom look to it.

heres my input...

shave hood, trunk, handles, and scripts (keep rocker and fender/door trim).. give it a speedboat stance, some full sombrero hub caps, no visor, and keep it black. i tihnk that would look nice. But thats just if it were mine :rolleyes:

26. That'll make a great tail dragger.

27. sololobo

sololobo

Congrats, that is a sweet little Chevy man. Love it! Really dig the black and white combo, some nice extra trim on that dandy. Coolsville ~sololobo~

28. JVK54

JVK54

Thanks ya'll. My plan this winter is to nose, deck, de-chrome except for spear and (probably )beltline, shave the doors and antenna and chop the roof (flowing, not a stupid "rebel rodz" hack) and french the headilghts. I gotta rewire(REBLE WIRE !) the car and convert to 12V. Can anyone recommend a good alternator choice? Freshen up the engine(gotta leaky rear main seal), throw on the dual Fentons and glasspacks ,,,AND DRIVE!!! while reclining on Mexican blankets.
    I have no idea where I'm gonna go with grills bumpers and tailights yet.

29. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Nice score! Looks great ! Im looking forward to seeing it done!

30. 73super

73super

Glass packs vs straight pipes for sure. Good luck with it. These are fun projects.