Register now to get rid of these ads!

Loss of the greatest man I ever knew

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Red Rocket, Dec 20, 2011.

1. havi

havi

Another of the greatest generation gone, but not forgotten. My condolences.

2. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Prayers are with you and your family!

3. big creep

big creep

celebrate his life! he got to live to a beautiful 95, i know it still hurts losing him, and for that im very sorry. and wow, hes done a lot! i will say a prayer for you and your family. god bless you and your love ones!

4. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

God bless you and your family. He is now at home and in peace. He will live on through your stories and memories.

5. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

Sounds like he had a very full and vibrant life, may he rest in peace. Prayers sent to you and your family

6. Bill I am truly sorry for you loss. I am fortunate enough to still have my dad. He is about 3 months older than yours. He was born January 11,1916. He like your father served in WWII and retired from the military in 1960 and went to work two days later for the civil service,then retiring in 1976. He came back to Florida and rebuilt our house here in Pensacola,Fl. He's doing ok ,but diagnosed with Alzheimers about 7-8 years ago. He lived with my sister,she did a damn good job taking care of him. Just recently when they put him in a really nice assisted living facility. I know his time in not long and i will be facing what you already have. You know if we out live our parents we become orphans in our own special way. May God Bless you and be strong, you know thats what he would want !!!!;)

7. Salute for one more of our WW2 vet to have fallen with age. They are the few that lasted as vets. We don't have many more to tell the stories or to tell not.
    Salute to a fallen sodier and a man.

8. 392Roadster

392Roadster
    from Long Beach

Rocket, Sorry about your loss. He sounds like a great person, wonderful dad and an American hero......God Bless.

9. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad in '02 at the age of 80. We worked together for many years and he taught me a lot. He was like your Dad, served in WWII, built houses, was a fireman, body man, painter, mechanic etc. I am always wanting to ask him questions, then remember he is no longer here. I miss him always and thank him for the kind of person he helped to make me. May they rest in peace.

10. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

95 years! God bless him! That is a good run! A pretty impressive list of accomplishments as well! This is exactly why people refer to these individuals as being part of the greatest generation ever. Celebrate his life! And although you will miss him understand that he still loves you! He will be waiting for you on the other side! No cause for sadness here. This was a life lived well! God bless your family!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  11. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

Sounds like an amazing man. God bless you and your family.

12. customs by jason

customs by jason

13. H3O

H3O

I'm sorry for your loss. Makes me miss my grandpa. He never talked much of his service in WWII either. The pain will ease slowly, but he will never be forgotten

14. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Wow, your dad was a hero and an all around great guy. 95 is a long time - he lived a great life and you should celebrate his life. May he RIP and prayers for you and your family.

15. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Bill, VERY sorry to hear of your loss. I hadn't seen this thread before now but excerpted this portion of your post because MY Dad was on Tinian during the same timeframe! Of course I have to wonder if they knew each other? I know the island was tiny so I'd guess it probable(?)

My Dad passed on at age 66 in 1990. He was born in 1923 so he'd have been 89 this coming June if he'd lived (and my math is right!). I still miss him very much, especially at this time of year of course.

Again, sorry to hear of your loss but the coincidence is kind of uncanny.

Best to you and yours, Dan

16. If we are lucky we get a Dad that makes sure we get all the tools for life . The biggest is love and respect and from the sounds of it your Dad has done well.
    May your pain ease and may the great memories comfort you as time goes by.
    I lost my Dad 6 years ago at 89 so I know what you are going through.
    Take care , Rob

17. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

You family is in our prayers

18. desotot

desotot

sorry for your loss, lost my dad 12 yrs ago at 79, I still miss him.

19. ionahead

ionahead
    from Ca

Sorry to hear about your loss. Seems like your father lived a full, happy life.

20. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Sorry for your loss.
    sounds like he had a great life and you had the privilege to have be you dad, but it is still so had to see them go.

21. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Sounds like your dad was a great man who enjoyed a long and rewarding life. Godspeed.

22. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Sorry for your loss. It would probably be difficult right now for you to understand that there are those , including myself , who would envy you. My Dad died at age 37 when I was only one month old. I have no memories of my Dad or joy of the experiences you had with yours. Hold the memories close to your heart.

23. 1952henry

1952henry

Sorry for your loss.

24. snelson57

snelson57

Sorry for your loss. I did not know your dad, but I am sure that some folks that I know have since I am just down the road from you. God Bless.

25. 500 single

500 single

I'm sorry for your loss. Judging by the respectful tone in your words though, your dad is far from gone. I'm guessing that you will honor him every day.