Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best 49-51 Merc chops? Side profile pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Skirv

Skirv

I'm still not exactly sure how he pulled it off, but it's one of the few Mercs (in my opinion) with that much chop, that doesn't look squashed or flat, or have a strange "fastback" look. If you were able to walk around the car in person, you could see it doesn't have a bad angle and doesn't flatten out or look thin in the area above and behind the quarter window. I think Glassguy did a really nice job on it. Additionally, I own it and if I didn't already know, I couldn't tell it was born a four door. I like it so much that it's the first car I've ever owned in my life that I didn't build myself.

2. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Its a good looking Mercury. It sit great also!

3. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

These sre some of the best EXAMPLES of great looking chopped Mercury's. With all the reference on these car . How can so many of them get f@cked up chops.

4. Mine was born a more door, and still is. Oddly it's one of the last things people notice about the car.

5. To me it all comes down to the rear window. The more I look at chopped mercs, the more convinced I am the rear window needs to be moved forward a couple inches and not just layed down. The green merc looks like it has a pretty heavy chop but has a factory look.

6. As far as the placement of the rear window, I couldnt agree more!

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

in my opinon this Merc is the ultimate as far as proportion and what trim was removed and what has been left on. looks good from every angle. too many people feel this need to out do the other guy and end up with a failure.

[​IMG]

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

9. Dont look like much trim has been removed.^^^^^ This light blue car is gorgeous and has always been one of my favorites.I got to park next to it once at back to the beach in like 1999,my car was an all original virgin at the time.This merc is just classy and smooth.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  10. I been collectiong Merc pic's for over 30 years. The two Mercs that just can't be beat,IMO are Terry Hageman's '51 and Jeff Nepel's '50.
    I don't count the Hirohata and all the other famous Mercs. I'm talking about Mercs that have been built after those. Another consideration is...Terry and Jeff drive their cars!
    After finally seeing Joe Figs in person,it really amazed me also.

11. Special Ed

Special Ed

12. Wow.....thanks Bob. Ed ,those are some cool pics.I have always liked that Merc.

13. Hey Jeff I think I asked you this before and I forgot the answer but how did you do the suspension on your car?

14. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

I think Jeff bagged it. LOL Im sure it was done the way they did back in the days. Cutting coils and using lowering blocks. Then again i could be wrong.

15. :D It really lay's frame,I have been going Donnie Brasco undercover style this whole time.Just kidding..... that's pretty much it,like Bickford said the old fashion way,blocks and messing with the springs.Nothing fancy at all .

16. b-bob

b-bob

One i should have kept. Did this one back in winter '98.

[​IMG]

Did this one in '93

[​IMG]

17. Thanks wasn't sure if you had flipped the spindles side to side or not.

18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dick Dean cut some of the best looking chopped Mercs I have seen. Splitting the roof just above the gutter,all the way to the b-pillar, and positioning the rear window correctly,really gives the roof a nice flow. Some really great looking cars on this thread. I cut this one, Dick Dean style, about 15 years ago. Wish I had it back today.
    PS I like the gutters on, unless it is done hardtop style
    [​IMG]

19. Juke Joint Johnny

Juke Joint Johnny

Yeah, I talked to Wolf alot about his Merc when he used to live here in California. He said (if memory serves me correctly) he cut out the window surround, widened it about two inches, brought the bottom corners up so they wouldn't poke down into the beltline, leaned it and moved it forward about three inches, filled the area above the window with a section cut from the roof of a '57 Chevy and made a new window from Plexi-glass. I wanted to know because it's very similar to how I want to do my '51.

20. Juke Joint Johnny

Juke Joint Johnny

I think I read once that the compound curve glass, the kind of bubble shaped glass was used only on the California cars.

21. R.I.P.........Sultan Of Chop

22. For thous how have recently inquired.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014