Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where can I find a leaf spring bushing for a '37 Nash?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I need the front bushing on the rear leaf spring on my 1937 Nash Lafayette. Have gone to the local parts stores, they won't help me because it's pre '64. Asked if they could just look at their bushings, they said "No, they are all in boxes". And, the original bushing is in pretty bad shape.

Have done a google search and come up with little. In that search I found Egge Machine Company, their bushing is brass not rubber (I believe that is for the rear u shackle). When I told him it was rubber there was just silence on the other end.

Any info on a knowledgeable company/source would be appreciated!

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I would try a spring shop.

In my area there are a couple places that deals with leaf springs. They mostly deal with trucks but they do re-arch springs and un-arch springs so folks can raise or lower their vehicles ... :D

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Bushings can be fabricated from original material or Delrin or even steel. Modern materials offer an option. Unless you are going for absolute authenticity. Seventy-five year old rubber is likely to be suspect for longterm use. Befriend a neighbor who owns a lathe. And, while he's at it, have him turn a full set. While you're at it, replace them all. Even a vocational school that offers machine shop might be worth a shot.

4. storm king

storm king

Metro Molded Rubber. Goggle, or Google, or whatever, it.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'd believe that such a part should be fairly universal and not very specialized (and not very expensive). You probably could get rubber shackle bushings from other makes that fit.

Try Kanter Auto Parts and
    www.restorationspecialties.com

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Well hopefully I can get some new views today and some new ideas. Went to all the local spring shops and nothing. Even Eaton told me they sell the springs but not the bushings! WTF?!

8. Energy

Energy

Have been thru this before. Check with the jeep/4wd/offroad suspension suppliers. Many of them list the dimensions for their bushings, since there is a whole lot of custom building in those kinda vehicles. they also have rubber, urethane, delrin, aluminum, and steel bushings. Search is your friend!

;)

9. Are you telling folks you are working on a 1937 NaSH? If so, wrong answer. That scares off the counter jockeys. Gotta take MEASUREMENTS in to them. Any good spring shop willl have pages of bushings lited by ID-OD, hole diameters and width.

10. squirrel

squirrel

Is it a metal encased rubber bushing, or just a rubber bushing? Also the thickness of rubber bushings back then was a lot smaller than on modern stuff, and springs were not as wide, so it would not surprise me that you're having trouble finding what you need.

Of course if you provide us a picture and dimensions, we might could help you figure it out...

11. Yes, in which case a simple spring swap is in order.

But, I even found some oddball small diameter busings for a 37 Packard spring so there is hope!

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

When I buy a car or project car I will join the national club of that marque.
    Cost me $20 to join the REO club after I bought my coupe.Get the club mag which lists parts vendors and private owners selling parts.
    Most have online versions of the club magazine.Why hunt around hoping to find something that will work when a NOS Nash parts seller may have a original part in stock?
    Here is the Nash club site.It has a large online classified section.
    http://www.nashcarclub.org/

13. indyjps

indyjps

14. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I went to the folks at Central Spring Service, in Tamaqua, PA to have some work done on the leaf springs for my 1948 Plymouth. They had the spring bushings on hand, and installed them. Don't remember the exact cost, but it was very reasonable. They don't seem to have a website, but a search on google will give you the contact information. It might be worth a phone call to ask them if they can help you. Good luck.

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

ID - .5", OD - 1.5", spring width 1.75"

Been a part of the Nash Club since I had the car. Their advice "make them on a lathe"...

16. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

17. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

18. Search Moog Bushings. 1 3/4" is narrower than newer stuff uses, my 54 Chevy is that size. 2" is common. find a 2" bushing and take an 1/8th off each side. Freeze first then turn down.

19. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

I can't offer any advice on the bushings but remember to buy that parts store after you win the lottery and make it a rule that all parts on the shelves must have one of their boxes open with a display part on top of it.

20. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Have you looked at the suppliers in Hemmings Motor News?

22. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Yup! I've done it all... ProEnfo is helping me out by turning some bushings! Thanks man!

23. LowFat48

LowFat48

24. Been dealing w/these folks for the past 40yrs.
    They repair & builds leaf springs for just about anything & carry all kinds of bushings.
    St. Louis Spring Co.
    3126 Samuel Shepard Dr, St. Louis, MO 63103
    (314) 533-2132 ‎

25. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

I got the bushings for my Nash from a local spring shop. I brought the old ones with me and they just just matched the I.D. and the O.D. and then I had to trim the width. Cost me a third of what it would have been if I got them from a restoration company.