Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Ford VS 1937 Chevy (Pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bud Reynolds, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Bud Reynolds

Bud Reynolds

Thanks for the compliments on my `37 Chevy Coupe. It is a great driver, reliable and a pleasure to own. It satisfies the yearning for my `32 Coupe I had in the 60's. I learned that the `37 left the factory with a boxed frame, I had never heard that. The Chevy's of this era make great street rods. They are heavier than the Fords made in the same time frame and the Fords had the peppy flathead V-8, so street-rodders chose the Ford over the Chevy’s in the early days of rodding.

Some asked about the `35 Ford Cabriolet. It is bone stock except for the dual Smitty’s. It has a 221 Flathead V-8, mechanical brakes, bulb type headlights, etc. I’ll post pictures later.

My son and I bought a nice `37 Ford Business Coupe a few years back and we were able to compare the two. Thought you might find it interesting.

Bud Reynolds

[​IMG]<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p> </O:p>
    [​IMG]

2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

It always makes me laugh when the old timers say "all the new rigs look the same"

3. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Thanks for the comparison photos. In my opinion the '37 Chevy takes this one in the looks category. It is more sleek, thanks to a lower, longer roof line, and what looks to be a wider profile. I also think having a full length trunk is more visually pleasing. The '37 Chevy grill is another terrifically designed piece, and the unique body lines and moldings (front portion of body line, side panel vent, "fender/sidepanel filler-panel fade-away line") are on the edge of being over the top, but put them all together on this vehicle, and it works beautifully.

The one thing that bothers me stylistically with the Chevy is the body line that ends abruptly right beyond the quarter window. It is too sudden and looks odd. If the top line stopped there and the bottom kept going I think it would finish off that area much better.

My .02 cents.

4. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Each manufacturer had it's years for design and Ford's '37 and '38 were not known for their strongest in styling. As an example for Chevy, the '40 and '41 Chevy missed the mark also. I had looked over a '37 Chevy back a few years to take on as a project and passed but I did like the styling.

Neal

5. Bud Reynolds

Bud Reynolds

ThirdGen,
    Thanks for your comments. I like the way the fender flows into the door on the Chevy. Gives the impression that it is in motion. Chevy carried this on to later models.

Bud Reynolds

6. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Bud, you and your son have a couple of beautiful cars there. Thanks for sharing the photos. It's nice to see a side-by-side comparison...many of the minor styling features of each model would be hard to discern were they not pictured together. I would be proud to have either parked in my garage!

7. Both are good looking cars. I have both as well, but in Ute form, a 37 Chevy and 37 Ford. Front ends are similar to the coupes and sedans and then they change pretty significantly. The 37 Chevy Ute does have unique features that are different on the front end than the USA made cars, such as the hood side vent and the large body side line stops at the cowl rather than continuing into the door. Also note that it does not have a quarter window, it is a 3-window style. See pic below:
    [​IMG]

Here is my 37 Ford Ute for comparison, the front is identical to the USA produced version best I can determine:
    [​IMG]

The Chevy is all stock for now, the Ford is hot rodded. But the body shapes are what this post is discussing.

8. in my opinion i like all the cars built in 1937, love the art deco styling. out of all the cars of that year i think i would put studebaker at the top [for styling]. love your chevy!

9. ...nice comparo pics, both super nice cars. I like the Chevs better, specially with the "speedline" thru the doors,...even if the hood side louvers were produced upside down.

10. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

I love both. I have a 37 Ford ,but it's a sedan. I also have a 37 Chevy coupe, but it's a modified stock car.

11. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

Nice cars and photos. I dig 37 & 38 chevys.
    Compared to the ford the headlights and grille are smoother styling IMO.
    I don't know why chevy ever put on the taillights that stick out like that. They look like an after thought. The ford bullet shaped fit look slicker.

ahh what the hell do I know?

12. ...to me, the Chevy tailites don't look no worse than those Ford tailites.
    Chevy was doin tailites like that for years and so was Ford.
    you ever seen a diffrerent lite on a 37-8 Chevy that looked better?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  13. Bud Reynolds

Bud Reynolds

I put LED tail lights on the `37 Chevy and if I remember correctly they are the same tail light they used up in to the early 50's on pickups.

Bud Reynolds

14. olskool34

olskool34

I don't know, I like the chevy alot, the fender line is awesome but there is something about the ford teardrop headlights with the grill raked that I love and the rounded trunk edge is visually more appealling to me. Still, a nice set of coupes.

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I always liked the "crease" on the '37 and '38 Chevy. Thought it was very unique styling.

16. Johnnymurt69

Johnnymurt69

Man that is realy cool to see them side by side.They are both beautiful!Thanks for sharing

17. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

thanks for the photos I had a chance to visit with Bud and his son last night on the phone "good folks" thanks again for the info Buddy nice to meet you