Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magnetic Rear View Mirror

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hartman601, Dec 20, 2011.

1. hartman601

hartman601
    from Tulsa, OK

I was thinking about using a magnetic base rear view mirror in my custom (55 chevy truck) with a felt pad to prevent scratches. I didn't want to do anything permanent but when I drive would be nice to be able to see what is back there. I have no side mirrors either and don't plan to run any. Something that looked good would be a plus, but function rules.

anyone have any solutions or links? Surely a neo magnet would be plenty strong.

2. Arominus

Arominus

You could just try to find a late 50s mopar rear view mirror and work it into the dash.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It is also not legal to drive a car/truck without at least an inside rear view mirror and possibly at least a drivers side exterior mirror.
    Just for safety's sake outside mirror's can keep you from becoming the next victim of a texting bonehead teenybopper in a Hummer.
    Just sayin'.

4. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

It would probably vibrate all over the place. Explain why you don't want a mirror.

5. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

The wind will fold that over. Stick your hand out the window broadside and see.

6. hartman601

hartman601
    from Tulsa, OK

I don't have drip rails anymore for a peep mirror except possibly attaching it to the side glass itself.

The magnetic idea was for an interior rear view mirror, not a side view exterior mirror.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know about Oklahoma but in Washington state the state patrol will pull you over right now if you don't have two mirrors on the car. One in and one out or two outside. Plus sometimes you have to wake up and decide if being safe might just be better than being "cool". Every truck I've had has had a blind spot on the passenger side where those little rice boxes seem to want to run next to your rear fender and if you don't have a mirror that you can see them with they screw up the paint on that fender something terrible when you clip them.

In the photo in my avatar the 48 has 73---something sport mirrors off a pickup. This time I am going to use mirrors that are intended for a Harley but look more like peep mirrors. The stud on the mirrors will go through a hole in the window frame.

8. Every state is different, except for federal requirements, and the requirements vary by model year.

Magnetic one on the dash might work okay with a big enough magnet on it. Worst case, it doesn't work, you have to bolt one in, or rig up a quick disconnect sort of thing.

Peep mirror can clamp on the door edge, too -

9. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

How about one of those sort of bag style holders they sell to support Garmins and Magellans?

10. squirrel

squirrel

Factory standard equipment on those trucks was one mirror on the outside, optional mirror inside. I got pulled over a time or two way back when for not having the outside mirror.

I'd think the dash mount mirror would be fine except that the mirror on those trucks needs to be up pretty high, so you can actually see what's behind you. How about hanging it from above, like the original one was.

11. hartman601

hartman601
    from Tulsa, OK

yeah absolutely, that would be fine too, but I bet a NEO magnet is stronger

12. hartman601

hartman601
    from Tulsa, OK

This was my plan, just mount it in the OEM spot on the inside. Guess unless there is a ready made solution, I will buy a stocker and glue up a good magnet and see how it goes.

13. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I'd think that the first serious bump you'd hit it would fall off and chip the dash. . . making you laugh at the felt pad on the back. :eek:

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

how about a suction cup backed mirror? use one inside my wife's '50 Chevy PU, with no exterior mirrors. put it at outter interior edge of windshield on passenger side. acts like an outside mirror to see to side. so, could use same thing for your center rearview mirror. got a rectangular shaped one from Harbor Freight Tools store. When we built the truck years ago I got an Autobahn Mirror from griotsgarage.com that we installed on drivers side that is attached behind edge of headliner. have been using these with no vibration problems. sometimes super hot days will affect holding strength for one on passenger side. we use a stock interior mirror for center rear view.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  15. hartman601

hartman601
    from Tulsa, OK

how strong are those suction cups? I would think the 50lb capacity of the neodymium magnet would be stronger, but I haven't tried to pull the suction cup ones off the windshield. I have one for seeing my kids in the back seat but that thing is awful.

16. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Why don't you just get some mirrors you like and mount them properly like everybody else does? Problem solved..everybody has them on their cars. I'm at a loss why you are thinking the way you are anyway, but I'm a good listener.

17. How about a glue on one for the windshield?

Attached Files:

18. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

McMaster-Carr sells a high strength magnet in sheet form with a smooth non-marring surface. You'll need two hands to pull the mirror off your dash. Youll just need to find a mirror with an adequet footprint to adhere the magnet.

19. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

our '50 plymouth has a rear view mirror but no side mirrors. they were never installed and the car has never ran them. we didnt install them because we didnt feel like drilling non existant holes in the car. The rearview works fine