Register now to get rid of these ads!

autozone radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by larry woods, Dec 20, 2011.

1. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

i am about to put the third "zone" radiator in my 64 ranchero 260 over a 2 1/2 year period. what gives? this is the second to have top tank separate at solder joint. cheap solder/cheap labor? this is getting old!

2. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Are you sure its the radiators? If you have a pressure test guage you may want to see if it is building excessive pressure under driving conditions. I would also check the pressure rating of the radiator cap and test it. Sure seems odd that you are on the third radiator. I worked at a radiator shop for years and typically when you see failures like that there is more to it than bad solder.

Scot

3. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Cheap period .... I would bet the orgins of that radiator is from the land of the rising sun aka CHINA. Get your money back and get you a good radiator. - Mayor

4. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

was running 13 lb cap. don't have pressure gauge. will see if i can borrow one. thanx for the input and everyone have a MERRY CHRISTMAS.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have not been having good luck with Autozone Duralast parts. In the past 6 months several power steering pumps have failed, two alternators, and disc brake pads that dust like crazy. One power steering pump lasted 15 minutes before it started to howl like the first one.:mad: The guy who runs a repair shop down from my shop said he used to run to Autozone at night when his regular supplier was closed and if it was an emergency, but he had so many comebacks he stopped doing that.

I only go there for cleaning supplies and oil now. I never had these issues with Advance Auto Parts stuff, so I am going there now for those items.

Don

6. Japan is "The Land of the Rising Sun", not China.
    China is "The Land of Lead Based Products".

7. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

I stand corrected sir.... - Mayor

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

A lot of the radiators out there are made in Thailand now. So-so quality. Not too many comebacks.

9. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

I splurged and got myself a china made radiator. Got it from Shepard Auto. $135 shipped for a full alum. three row bolt in for my 62 belair. Didnt exspect too much from it, but so far its awesom. Some times you get luck with them forign parts.

10. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

How is your heater core holding up? You could have an electrolosis issue. That problem should also take out the heater core. If not then it could be just bad quality radiators.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

cheapo radiators are glued, not soldered - especially aluminum ones.

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

13. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Are you mounting them on new rubber pads? they get hard after years and loose their cushion.

14. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Iam trying a O'really's in the Galaxie . Let ya know .
    B.B.

15. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I won't buy the shit they are selling there ! It's really cheap crap and not worth the work to install the parts either . it's nice when the give you a guarantee BUT if you have to keep re[placing the parts , what happens to your profit and customers ? You LOOSE BOTH !

I have bought a couple radiators from this place on ebay and have been very nice quality and no problems at all .Couldn't be happier with them either !
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/150602712447?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    Check them put . It's a 4 row alum for about $240 . They have cheaper ones too .
    Just a thought .

Retro Jim

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE !

16. derbydad276

derbydad276

autozone????/

dont you have any real radiator shops around town anymore?

17. fastroadster

fastroadster

You can thank the EPA!!!

18. From what I've read, you want to avoid Dunnalast parts if possible, they're cheap because they're cheaply made or reconditioned.

19. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I would be quite pleased of Autozone stocked parts for my project, but the hidden blessing I suppose is that the don't, and never will.

When I tell my local parts counter what I need, I just get a glazed dumbfounded look on their faces.

Return the radiator - it's totally unacceptable to pay ANY money for substandard (and unsafe) parts.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  20. RussK

RussK
    from Atlanta Ga

At our shop we never use autozone parts , they don’t last at all
    Don’t make money if we have to redo it every 3 months

21. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

My dad was in the business for 25 years. They all have gone to crap. You used to carry Modine. Jap Crap sucks, China, Taiwan, etc. Spend more on quality

22. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

autozone is partial owned by walmart....does that explain anything??

23. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

I've said before & I'll say it again, AutoZone parts are crap! There's a reason professional repair shops don't buy from them; they don't want to do the job over again, for free! I've been in the business for 24 years & I'm glad there's an AutoZone in the town my store's in. They make us look good everyday!

24. there's so many options to getting crap from China...Brass Works is a HAMB alliance member making first class products...a few bucks more, but made by Americans for American Cars!

25. bobscogin

bobscogin

They should put some of that lead in the solder they're using to install the top tank on that radiator. :D

Bob