Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kustom truck bed rounded rear ends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fryguy, Nov 28, 2011.

1. fryguy

fryguy

Trying to check out kustom or custom truck for inspiration for my '55 F100. I am trying to get a lot of views of truck beds that have been rounded off. More of the famous I can think of are the Kopper Kart and the DreamTruck. There are others out there as well. Wanting to know a little history behind the practice. Was the KK Dreamtruck one of the first or the just the one of the most famous? Anybody have pics and or photgraphic history?
    -Fryguy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of Finkds' Stude truck as well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

i chatted with fink'd earlier today about the stude. i believe he said he used a 47 plymouth hood to shape the stude bed.

3. fryguy

fryguy

Thanks LB. Trying to find information as to how this trend got start, what do most folks use to create this look. I see that some guys used metal rods to kind of create a metal skeleton of sorts.

4. fryguy

fryguy

This is another with the rounded bed treatment

[​IMG]

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

On the Kart, it was just using a diameter of exhaust tubing, that was the same size as the existing rolled edge of the truck's side rails. The trouble with doing it was it was not a consistant radius from start to finish, so you couldn't use mandreal bent sections, or have it bent on a mandrel bender. We made a template of the final shape, and I used an exhaust tubing bender to slowly bend it to match the shape. Then tried to shrink the bumps the bender made as much as possible. Still needed filler work when finished, though. Luckily the bends that went from the side rails to the center of the truck were consistent, and we used mandrels to make them. They had a much tighter radius.

6. hershambob

hershambob

7. fryguy

fryguy

Thanks Chopolds and HershamBob. Thanks interesting with the exhaust tubing being used? When did this style first start coming into public view? Is this something that extended over from '55 Chevy truck changeover with the Cameo body styling? Looking for the basics of this style.

8. hartman601

hartman601
    from Tulsa, OK

Attached Files: