Register now to get rid of these ads!

F.E.D. build in Hot Rod/Car Craft ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straightaxle65, Dec 19, 2011.

1. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

I remember an article from approximately the mid 60s on building a front motored rail but can't find which magazine it was in.

I have the multi part T roadster build article from about 65 in Car Craft but can't find the dragster one.

Does anyone here remember which magazine and approximate year that appeared in? Was it a multi part article?

Thanks, Gary

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'll bet it was something along the "Econo-dragster" format that eventually became Super Comp; so much for the "Econo". Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. rooman

rooman

The final mutation of the original "econo" dragster still runs in Competition Eliminator and as you note it is far from cheap. Super comp actually had its roots in the super gas concept but that too has managed to become a big spenders class for most. There are a couple of S/C cars in the latest National Dragster at around the $65,000 mark.
    Straightaxle may be remembering the Don Long Old Master story series in Hot Rod which predated the Car Craft econo dragster deal by about 5 years. There should be some links to that story here somewhere but a quick search did not turn up what I was looking for.

Roo

4. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Hot Rod did a March and April 1965 2 part on Ed Pink's "Old Master".

I had remembered it as a 3 part but the TRJ #52 said 2 in it's feature on the car, so much for my memory...

Ed

5. pool

pool

I have the article in the hot rod paperback book Hot Rod chasis construction and it's copyright is 1967. I think the King chasis article on here follows the article fairly close.

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

www.wdifl.com

Go into the visitors section, scroll down to tech articals and other misc. stuff and click on to Don Long builds the "Old Master"

7. RodStRace

RodStRace

8. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thanks for the help guys. I have the Chassis paperback but my old guy eyes have a hard time with it. I'll look for the Hot Rod issues now that I know what issues to look for or print it off from the Condercustom link.