Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Carl the original documents you found are fantastic, thanks for sharing. It gets me wondering about the hidden treasures that are lurking in our state archives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheOldFox

TheOldFox
    from Virginia

This should be a good one for the early history guys.

A friend of mine is doing research for a work of fiction and is trying to include real-world historic events. One of her characters was an opera singer in Vienna from 1895 until the start of the great war and I have been asked what sorts of trouble a (literally) merry widow among the avant-garde would get herself into. Being the one who wrote the 6-wheel H-S H6A limo into one of the earlier books of the series (set in 1938), I feel it my duty to have the story spread my love for early prewar racing as well.

What can you guys tell me about the gentlemen racers of the time and region? Any juicy tidbits to hang an anecdote upon would be fantastic. Especially anything about how the racers mingled with society, Vienna in that era being the sort of place it was.

I know I'm being a lazy FNG, but I see a lot of great knowledge out there and maybe someone has a funny little legend they heard some time that's worth a laugh, or something interesting that's just not the sort of thing you put in a text about racing. Thanks in advance, now back to lurking, learning and drooling at the cars.

3. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

[​IMG]

Could this be William 'Bill' Heisler with his Heisler Spl?

4. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

No, it's definitely Shorty Cantlon and the White=Miller (that's car owner Bill White at rear of car, the other guy is Ernie Olson, mechanic). It's a Miller 91 chassis with a Miller Marine engine.

The strange thing is that the car should actually be #16, and I have seen pics of it carrying that number. It seems, the car started as #18, and changed to #16 later that year, when #18 was, indeed, Bill Heisler with his own car, sometimes called Jeffries & Meek Special.

One never ceases to learn... Great pictures, please carry on, Mickey! :+

5. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

I thought that looked like Olson and Bill White and wondered why they would be in the shot with Heisler. Didn't know White's car started the year off as the #18.

Michael, if it helps you out any, a May 11 (San Jose) program lists the #18 with Heisler, the #16 is not listed.

6. MickeyD

MickeyD

Thank you, Michael and Jeremy! Would this also have been in 1930?

7. MickeyD

MickeyD

I believe this is Rex Mays behind the wheel and Wilbur Shaw on the left of the photo. Can any further info be provided? Year, car, any others to ID?

Attached Files:

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Car looks a bit larger than most, may be HISSO powered. Thanks for all the photos you post. Bob

9. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

Yes.

If this was taken at Imperial, then March 5, 1933. Looks like Wilbur Shaw is on the left and Mays would be in Paul Fromm's HISSO powered #52 (Apple?) Valley Machine Spl., soon afterwards known/listed as the #21 Hispano Suiza. I believe a week earlier (2/25) was Mays' first run in the car and he set 5 and 15 lap "Class B" records on that day, at Legion Ascot Speedway.

Nice pic!... first time I've seen it as the #52.

10. MickeyD

MickeyD

Thanks for the info, Bob. I'm happy to post these photos and get such amazing information about them. I have a few more coming up:) Mickey

11. MickeyD

MickeyD

Thanks Jeremy for the info! This is also from Imperial. All the photos that I have posted are from the Imperial Fairgrounds mile track and were taken by a local photographer that documented many events in the Valley. I have a few more coming up.

12. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

I think you've earned a free steak dinner at Brownies!

13. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Interesting clipping I came across while researching this Buick. Check out some of the cars in the background at an Ernie Moross race meet. The last car looks like a Blitzen.

14. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks to the efforts of Bob Lawrence.

Another photo from the other side:
    (note: the last photo of the Fromm engine inside Jiggler Joe's backyard garage)

http://winfield.50megs.com/Adams/21_Mays.htm

[​IMG]
    Ted Wilson Photo

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  15. Buildy

Buildy

A friend asked:

. do you have any non published info about CRA roadsters from 47 or 48? I am looking for 47 rules... and any detail shots of chassis or mechanical details...

If anyone has the 47 CRA rules and /or good detail photos from that era,I`d be grateful for the help!
    One quick specific item he needs is Min.wheelbase. He has heard 94 in. but also heard 99 in.

16. MickeyD

MickeyD

I'll take it! This has truly been a pleasure posting the photos and getting such great historical information on them. It's like an early Christmas present! Here is another photo from the Imperial Fairgrounds mile track. Based on the look of the weather, possibly 1930? Thanks in advance:)

Attached Files:

17. Buildy

Buildy

I believe that is Ernie Triplett.

I`m interested in seeing anything and everything you have from that era! Thanks for posting these photos!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  18. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

Looks like Ernie is whistling a tune.

19. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

Wonder whatever happened to "Jiggs"? Other than this photo, never heard of him before/after. I assume it was a male dog...???

Attached Files:

20. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

21. Indeed, the car in the photo, #18, is a White dirt track car, with a bored out Miller Marine (probably taken before Harry Miller sold out in 1929 to Schofield of America) . In 1930, a number 16 car had a new Miller-Schofield 183 (unsupercharged) engine. I believe this 16 car was originally built as a single seater; and may have later been converted to a two man car for Indianapolis. I believe, though originally a White car, Shorty Cantlon ended up owning it.

22. MickeyD

MickeyD

Track action on the Imperial, CA Fairgrounds mile track in the 1930's.

Attached Files:

23. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

24. MickeyD

MickeyD

Attached Files:

25. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos Mickey. The accompanying information is also very much appreciated.

Thanks to all.

26. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Yes, Shorty Cantlon bought the two-seater from Bill White, but the single-seater went to Doug Harrison, and later the Bielch brothers.

27. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

28. jimdillon

jimdillon

I have often wondered about this car and would really like to know more about the engine and modifications that Burman made. Prior to taking his engine plans to Wisconsin Motors and later on to Miller, Burman played with some engine designs of his own. Do you have anything that goes into any depth on the Keeton engine as raced?

Good stuff nevertheless-Jim

29. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Jim, No but I am always looking. From the speeds and his early performance in the race, He must have done something special to it. I would really like to at least find out what was under the hood. Does anyone have a photo or know more about this car and its engine?

30. jimdillon

jimdillon

David, I believe an in depth study on the engines of Burman would be most enlightening if we could ever really put all of the pieces together.

if you work backwards from his Miller modified Peugeots, then he had the experience with Milbraeth at Wisconsin allegedly building him some Peugeot copies that were made and then sold to others in the form of OHC Wisconsins. Burman ended up suing Wisconsin over this fiasco. Then at the 1914 Indy Indy Burman had two cars, his special and the mount for Disbrow and they were reported to be his own design with forked rocker arms. Somewhere I have a sketch of his forked rocker setup. I have often wondered if these were modified Wisconsin motors or truly his own design as claimed.

He was always one to tinker with motors and I would like to know what he did with the car you pictured above. He actually was giving the Europeans a bit of a race at the 1913 Indy until he caught fire. There were a number of 449.4 Wisconsins in the race yet his car seemed to have more speed than the other Wisconsins. If I know Burman it certainly was anything other than stock.

If anyone has anything to chime in on Burman's motors I certainly would not object-Jim