Register now to get rid of these ads!

Posies rear spring question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommythecat79, Dec 19, 2011.

1. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

Hey fellas, quick question...
    I got a new posies super slide rear spring for my 30' coupe, and seated it up in the pocket of the rear crossmember (stock rear crossmember). When I went to tighten the clamps down, the bottom part of the clamps tighten all the way up to where they are touching the bottom of the crossmember and the seat on the bottom part of the clamp still is not contacting the spring. There is about a 1/16" gap on each side between the bottom of the spring and the top of the clamp seat. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it. I am sure I could just weld another chunk of steel on top of the seat but I don't know if I got the wrong spring or something.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The original spring on these was something like a 10 leaf monster, so it was really thick. Do the two bottom plates you are using have a raised portion that when tightened goes up into the crossmember pocket? 1/6 should be easy to compensate for, either make up a spacer (dummy leaf) that you can put on top of the spring, or modify the bottom plates so they go further up into the pocket.

Post a picture of what you are using, that will help a lot.

Don

3. Crankhole

Crankhole

There were 2 styles of those bottom clamps. One goes up further into the crossmember than the other. You could just make a spacer out of a spring leaf and clamp it domn.

4. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I kind of did what was mentioned here. Only I used about a foot of 1/4" aluminum on the bottom of the spring. 5yrs and all is well.

5. Different bottom pieces were used with different springs. You probably have a bottom piece designed for a sedan and your spring is thickness of one used for a roadster. I agree that it is time for a spacer.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  6. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

Well, had to weld 3/8" spacers on top of the 1/4" spacers that were there from posies but I finally got the spring tightened up. Now I am looking at the amount of wheel travel that I have between the frame and the top of the 9" housing. It's about 3 5/16" without any weight or anything on the frame is that going to be enough? here are a couple of pics of what I have so far.

Attached Files:

7. crossthread

crossthread

put your spacers on top of spring . You should have at least 4 to 41/2 inch min.

8. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

Yeah I was thinking that if I put a strap of aluminum on top of the spring like Saxon said it would give me a little more travel. I dont think I'm going to be able to get to 4 inches though unless I notch the rails a little. Is that a pretty standard problem with the spring-behind perches?

9. I ran into the same thing with a front spring.I used some frame webbing as an insulator on top of the spring since when I took the old spring out it had remnants of an insulator in the pocket.My rear spring crossmember also had some rubber like insulator between the spring and the spring pocket when I took it out, I guess Ford made it that way.