Register now to get rid of these ads!

olds power steering quest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lexington, Dec 18, 2011.

1. lexington

lexington

Before I get jumped on I have already went through all the search threads on this question. Can anyone tell me if the p/s pump from a 85 gm car will have the correct flow and pressure for the original oem sector on a 52 olds 98. I am afraid of damaging the sector or I would just hook it up and see what happens. thanks for any info

2. lexington

lexington

3. F&J

F&J

I can see if one of my old Motors manuals has the pressure spec for the 52, but I do not have a book for the late model.

4. puller

puller
    from arkansas

You can reduce the pressure on the gm pump by changing the # of shims on the valve. Bill's Hot Rod company has a kit to do this with device to hold the valve and some shims plus instructions. I did this years ago to reduce pressure for more road feel in a OT truck. Worked well, and their website still shows that it is available.

5. F&J

F&J

My book only goes back to 55. It shows 650-700PSI for 55, then a change in 56-up, so I guess your car would be the same as 55 specs?

That is a lot less than a modern pump.

6. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

The 52 Manual shows a minimum of 650 # of pressure.

To answer your question of will a later GM work, that I can't answer. but there are a few symptoms that may be affecting you out there right now with the cooler weather.

The manual shows that for the pump to be tested it should be brought up to about 150 to 170 degrees. This can be obtained by running the car, at idle, in drive, turning the wheel from from extreme left to right a few times. Note: it says NOT to hold it in the full left or full right position for extended time. (Without a pressure gauge connected though, it's going to be impossible to determine whether it's your pump at fault, or the gear sector)

Do you have a Vickers or Eaton pump on it? Vickers pump # 5664321,,,,Eaton # 5661883. There are overhaul kits available for it. Before that, I would purge the pump and the lines of all the old fluid. More than likely it's original stuff, in there. When ever the fluid got low, people would just add to it. (You do change engine oil and transmission fluid to keep it from building up sludge don't you?)

Use the same Hydramatic Transmission fluid or Type A.

Refilling, fill the lines from the gear to the pump with oil before connecting to the pump.

Bleed the air from the pump by running the engine ad idle for about 30 seconds, then up it to 1500 for about a minute.

Put the car on jack stands with the front wheels off the ground, and move the steering wheel from side to side with the engine running at idle.

There's a lot more info about these old systems, but remember, these old boats are not like the new fangled stuff. Driving down the road the pull range on the steering wheel should only be about zero to 10#. These have a lot more "Road Feel" than the new cars.

When I went down to Salina, this past week-end. The beginning outside temp was 19 degrees, my steering was kind of stiff until the oil got warmed and circulated. After that it performed fine.

If you do change out to a later pump, be sure the pulley rotates the same speed as the original.

HellRaiser

7. lexington

lexington

Thanks guys you have answered my question to the t. I need to use oem pump. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all Hambers out there

8. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

What leads you to believe you need a new pump?

HellRaiser