Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Montebello Car Show 1951

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffSled, Apr 8, 2011.

1. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

History lesson time !!!!

2. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Great customs!!!! These are not over chopped,looking broke on the ground, and flow from the front to the back. I love these threads!!

3. Looks like that storm of customs is back and it's pretty heavy.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  4. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Get your raft ready!! The river is gonna over FLOW( justlike how these cars flowed)!

5. Lets toast for Jerry and his legendary white ghost.

6. Im really liking these fastbacks more then I used to,I really like the simplicity of Gordons car.It just represents the golden era of sleds really well.It bums me out that I couldn't find more info out about this Montebello show.I truely believe it was in Montebello which close to Gils old shop and I think that is why we see a couple Ayala cars here at the same show.I can't really think of any other shows that had multiple cars from the Ayala stable.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  7. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Jeff, seeing these pictures of this great fastback are keeping me more motivated to stick with mine. I really enjoy this thread, it actually has some substance. :rolleyes:

I'm going to drive the crap out of my car for a bout a year or so, and then re-do it yet again, this time, following the lines of this fantastic fleetline. I love the Olds grille opening. I'll have to start searching for one. Yes, this means my beloved hood trim will also have to go.

Thanks for starting this thread, and thanks for reviving it.

Also, the '63 Car Craft issue where it says Snooky's car was built in 52, doesnt seem very credible.. if you look, they call the Mercury on the right page a Buick...

8. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Also, what year Olds did that grille opening come from on the Fleetline?

9. I am pretty sure it is out of a 50 Olds.

Well im glad you enjoy this thread and that Chevy inspires you,I mean that's why we come on this board right? :) I think its good to get reminded of the way sleds used to get built and looking at threads like this helps.
    I have talked to a few people who doubted this show was at Montebello after they found out how many hours I have researched and came up empty.I really believe that there wouldn't of been multiple Ayala cars if it wasn't close to their area.

10. Jeff is there a reason they don't think it was at Montebello other than not being able to find any more info on it?

I wonder where else other than a military location someone would think a number of tents would be set up for an otherwise unknown event.You can see at least two other tents in the background of the spread on pages 132-133. To me it makes sense it was probably a very small local show put on kind of last minute and the armory had the tents already up so it worked out perfectly. That and the fact that Kellogg grew up there and rode his bike to the show seems like a clincher to me.

11. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Say Jeff, is that new avatar a representation of how you feel around these parts? ;)

12. K13.....no they didn't have any reason other then me not finding any info.They think I would of found something.See there was a carshow around the same time in Anaheim that I have heard was also a tent show.I have spent hours looking at microfilm at the library and also found nothing in Anaheim.I dont know if it ever happened.Montebello really happened,there is no reason for Kellog to make that up.

51streamliner...........yes.:)