Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty 47 Ford Reserection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

Well get yer ass in gear boy! I am off work between Christmas and New Years so I wanna get some decent progress made...well whatever my stupid back will let me get done!

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The grill treatment is looking good. I know how you feel, considering your back problems. I've been there more times than I care to remember. Motrin and a visit to a chiropractor always seemed to work for me! I haven't been bothered with lower back problems since discovering I have a large ascending aortic anuerysm and have been limited to lifting, pushing pulling, shoving or wrestling with anything over 25 lbs. Makes it tough, but I've learned to use jacks, lifts, hoists, etc., much more often and for things I used to just pick up.

Brian

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Ok Steve, here's the gold suede version.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. Roy39

Roy39

Been following your build from the beginning,watching a 4 door evolve into a coupe.
    Fabulous work---I have been quiet till now but OahuEli has nailed the colour (in my opinion) with gold suede. I was leaning towards white but this gold really brings out the lines and shows the car as a classy piece of work. Thats my story & i,m sticking to it. Roy

lines of your car

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks Roy ! I have to agree this gold color really brings out the lines of the car looks awesome Eli!!....I think I liked the white the most at first because it was the first good look at the vision of the car that I have had in my head now for a while ! I am gonna try and get a couple of hours in tonight which should give me enough time to finish the mock up of the pass side of the grille. Its a really slow process ,trying to make all these pieces that werent made together,work together if that makes any sense ! If I get that mock up done tonight I will try and get some pics up. I also got a fresh sheet of 18 guage so I can start on the skirts next week :D

6. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

It sure is looking good Steve.
    Eli knows the business end of Photoshop!
    Sorry to hear your back is still hurting.
    You folks ready for Christmas?

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Doing this car and a couple of others is making me think about owning a Kemp myself. :) Looking forward to the grill progress pics.
    Regarding your back, Steve, have you ever used those heat pads that stick on and last 8 hours or so? I get pretty stiff working in the shipyard and those packs are worth their weight in gold to me. Don't know if they sell 'em in the drugstores in the Great White North but its worth looking into I think. Plus it'll help keep you warm in the garage.

8. banditomerc

banditomerc

Mann Steve,you have a tough decision to make come painting time.I like the gold...but in glossy shiny paint.

9. fitzee

fitzee

Yes the gold and the white ones look the best.. This is going to be one sweet ride.I wonder will it be done for this year? We need to find the "Chad" in us to get these finshed!!LOL.

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The Chinese had it wrong.
    We don't need to find our inner Chi....
    We need to be at one with our inner CHAD! Hahahaha
    I like it!!!

Steve...I'm telling ya...thats gonna be awesome.
    Can't wait to see it in color.

11. fitzee

fitzee

Good one Bill!!

12. screwball

screwball

Steve just saw the new 1/25 model kit of the 48 coupe sled out at the local hobby shop pick up a couple of those and play with color.

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

Never heard about it ...I havent had time for models for so long now ,I do miss kustomizing in 1/25th ,alot less grinding ..have you seen the kit out of the box yet?

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Ok heres a few pics of a few hours here and there...gonna try and fit in most of the day tomorrow ..depending on the back of coarse :mad: I wouldnt wish back pain on my worst enemy ! Ok rant over, heres some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut up a pair of 52-54 Ford front door garnish moldings I had sitting around for the vertical parts of the surround, the main structure of the surround being some 1/2" conduit...after getting it tacked in I didnt like how far out the side grille stuck beyond the surround, so I remounted it as far as I could into the cavity, but I was limited by the shape of the center part. I could see why guys eliminated the center part, in order to flush fit the grille with no surround,its the only way it could be done without completely redesigning the hood latch area to sink the center portion.

[​IMG]

Here is the center, kinda hard to see but the sheet metal will get trimmed back as the final shape comes together..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am much happier with the position of the grille compared to the opening.

15. :eek: What !!! You got to spend time in the garage today ??? WTF am I doing wrong ??? :D , Andy

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

I hate this computer...anyways heres the first pic with all 3 pieces in the car:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the first corner all tacked in...the horizontal piece of conduit will be sheeted in to whats left of the top of the original surround...smooth like Eli's rendering.

[​IMG]

Here you can sorta see how I mounted the top edge of the grille, the bottom is just bolted to the splash pan..

[​IMG]

Getting ready to cut the piece out of the window frame for the drivers side upright.

And last but not least a pic for Eli to see if it meets with his approval !

[​IMG]

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lol!! no not today but I was out there yest till about 8 pm, I could be out there now but its cold and I am tired, but I will be out tomorrow am, gonna try and finish all the welding and grinding for the grille area so I can start on the skirts on Tues ,I dont have to go back to work till the 3rd.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  18. That is so, absolutely bitchin'! Simply inspiring

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

I can easily say the same thing about your ElCamino thread, I have been following it since you started...I think you will be done before me though !

20. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hey Steve,
    That's looking good, man!
    Merry Christmas to you and the family.

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks Joe,to you and yours as well! Keep checking back this week I will try and keep it updated !

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Quote[And last but not least a pic for Eli to see if it meets with his approval !]Quote

Lol, Hell yeah! Man thats looking great Steve! I really like the way you did the surround, it gives it a more finished look and thats a pretty cool idea on using the door pieces. I'm gonna go back and correct the rendering to match your work. The fact that you reworked the front center area in order to keep the center piece of the grill will set this car off from the others, I do believe. Looking forward to more pictures but take care of your back. Eli

23. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

My b in law has a 47 like yours on a Dakota chassis.It is a daily driver. I have a 53 Customline that had about the same problems as yours, boy I learned a lot about metal work fast. Keep up the hard work, most people would have junked her or made a parts car out of it you have it looking good!
    Tony

24. sic944t

sic944t
    from ohio

just read every page amazing work !

25. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Thanks.
    Hey man... I've been subscribed forever so I'm watching you like big brother.
    Ok ok.. little brother. ;)

Yup, that grill is going to be classy treatment of the old gal.

My back is having sympathy pains. :(

btw.. I got the T body "done" for the winter and hope to get back working on the chassis after the holidays.

26. oldman2

oldman2

KK, love what you have gotten done on the grill so far, looking just great. Take care of the back......Jim

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

I got all the grille metal work done and will be starting on the skirts tomorrow...the camera is in the shop and I am not going out to get it so the pics will have to wait till tomorrow .

28. OK I'll be waiting. Don't be long.

Doug.

29. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

You better hurry with those pictures!!!!! I LOVE THAT GRILLE TREATMENT!! So art deco and sleek AND different ;)

30. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I too have been quietly watching this build and I can't hold back any longer. YOU SIR! are pushing the envelope in a big way. I can't get over the transformation. You have such vision; it's just truly remarkable. My hat's off to you. Keep up the great work.