Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chain drive steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kduke54, Dec 3, 2011.

1. metalshapes

metalshapes

If you Google Torque Specs the results come back as Ft-Lbs, In-Lbs, and N-M.

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Finally, something in this thread that wasn't a total waste of my time.:eek:

3. zzford

zzford

I know a guy that has a chrome chain steering wheel in his car and it hasn't stretched yet and it has over 150K miles.

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

ha ha ha!!!!:d

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes but he has broken his pinkie fingers many times from trying to turn with the little guys stuck through the holes in the chain :D

6. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

This one broke when Sal backed the forklift into it. OK, I'm done.

Attached Files:

7. Good enough for me.

8. RichG

RichG

http://www.mcmaster.com/#roller-chain/=f9i4bq

#40 single row chain, good to 437 pounds, double row good to 1,370 pounds.

#60 double row chain, 3,315 pounds... sounds prettty stout to me.

The pounds listed were WORKING pounds, I imagine the fail load would be two to three times as much.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  9. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

I wish we could build a time machine, and go back to the 50s or even 60s so we could all be "traditional". You guys ae funny, personaly I think its great and safe idea.

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Ok here is the chain system on one of our planes, this is a certified aircraft, this system has been in use for I believe 40 years plus , (this design), and I've never heard of one failing,this is also single row. I love the way the chains and cables all work together on a plane, of course the entire thing tilts back to for the elevator, hence the universal joints on the control yokes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

I believe that I have seen somewhere a much more compact unit that was an enclosed gear drive unit used in some round track cars. It possibly was more meant for gear ratio changes rather than offset but may be just what you need. Check out circle tract sites for info.

12. carsluTT

carsluTT

i really dig the chain drop steering idea, the brand used on this truck looks plenty thought out. id run it in a tight cab without a 2nd thought.

13. kduke54

kduke54
    from Plano, TX

Custom dash is looking good.

Attached Files:

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I like the way you tucked the Steer Clear in there. Well done!
    Honestly, not a big fan of billet banjos or ac vents. But I do like your metal skills

15. kduke54

kduke54
    from Plano, TX

I did not do the work. Paul Kilcrease did it. He does god work though.

16. TMSTransport

TMSTransport

Those are known as a quick steer and you are correct about them not offering any offset. They also need to have a solid point to mount it. They are great for adjusting the steering ratio from track to track but wouldn't offer much help otherwise.

17. wizardfab

wizardfab

Yes it is looking good, you are moving right along. Looks like you are getting every inch of room out of her. I can't wait until you get to drive it. One thing we haven't talked about is the road feel of the Steer Clear. It is truly as if it is not even there. When you get to that point please tell us what you honestly think.

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I would think it would neither add to or dampen road feel.

19. kduke54

kduke54
    from Plano, TX

Can't wait to drive it. It is rock solid so far. The truck has an S10 clip on the front. It drove nice before. Lots of room now. I love it.

20. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

It looks good, I don't know where the street rod thing is coming from, this is a completely practical item, it's really not even that visible, if it gives more leg room to someone who has issues fitting under the dash, then it's all good, I would think they would be more concerned about being able to drive longer without fatigue and leg cramps, vs. if it looks too much like a street rod, If the case was painted black, it would almost disappear under the dash.

21. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I like the idea. But why not take it further, and use a chain not only to transfer motion but as the final steering/reduction mechanism? I can think of many ways to do that, e.g. a little sprocket driving a large sprocket with a pitman arm on it, or a sprocket driving a chain looped around idlers and pulling a cross-link directly. The only fix is that the output motion can be in any direction except fore-aft; but add a single bell-crank?

22. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

My 32 has a home machined chain drop hooked to a half rack and pinion to clear the 427 ford and my belly
    It drives great and has no play at all and in my opinion its a good and very safe solution to steering clearance problems
    I would highly recommend a well built chain drop

23. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Because to really do that, it would be impossible at best to enclose the chain keeping it safe from debris and damage

24. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

The steering look great. Just one question, isn't that a 46 or earlier pickup?

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Wizardfab you might consider offering these in a case powder coated flat black, I think in an older car they would blend in better with the firewall

26. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

That looks like a great idea; I'm positive no one would market a steering product that had not been fully tested and found safe..... Too many lawsuits out there, for them to not test it thoroughly.

4TTRUK

27. kduke54

kduke54
    from Plano, TX

It sort of is a 46. Because of the war they sold 46s for the first couple months of 47. So it technically is both a 46 and a 47.

28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'm questioning the need for total enclosure. That is usually about increasing chain durability when it is running in the region of its limits, by making it possible to run it in oil. Here it is simple enough to size everything that one is nowhere near the chain's limits (as many above have pointed out); and one just wants to prevent things like stray hoses or wires getting between it and the sprockets and freezing up the steering at the most inopportune moment. Some strategically-placed guards should do that fine.

29. John356

John356

Would chain steering be legal at Maxton, or now Wilmilgton Ohio.Post 28 gives me the idea it was legal at the salt flats.

30. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Total enclosure guarantees no chain damage from gravel and debris. Not like a motorcycle chain where debris gets flung off, small debris could bind your steering at the worst possible time.
    Whether I buy one of these or make my own, it will be enclosed.