Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 oil filter metal lines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagetin88, Dec 17, 2011.

1. vintagetin88

vintagetin88

Why does this bypass oil filter use rubber hoses? Can't I just bend a set of brake lines and use that instead? One of my hoses is leaking really bad and I can't find new ones, and brake line sounds like a better idea. I wonder why they didn't use metal lines from the factory?

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Vibration ! And ease of installation.

3. R Pope

R Pope

Grease gun hoses work perfect.

4. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

If the remote filter can is still mounted to the exhaust manifold you can make up your steel lines with no problems.
    If the filter is mounted on the firewall or fender inner panel you need flexible lines to the engine.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

5. vintagetin88

vintagetin88

Did you mean to say "with no problems?"

I just replaced it with a steel line. I put a 360 degree bend in it (a loop) to allow it to absorb plenty of vibration and put little stress of the fittings. Hopefully it will be okay.

6. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

Dont count on it!

7. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

in my experience, you CAN use brake lines to plumb the oil filter, . just figure putting in a loop or 2 in the line . this allows the line to flex a little ,taking the worry of line cracking away. i always start with long piece of the line , and figure the bends and loops from one end only. that way you should have enough line...... relativly easy. a little practice will make you a soon to be expert...with good results......ps. the bigger the loops the better . like bend the tubing around a spray can or similar....about the right radius....kev

8. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Why not?

Have a look at your brake lines sometime.

You'll find a full loop of tube in there to absorb the minimal amount of movement between the firewall and frame. It's easily less than the movement between the exhaust manifold and the block.

You're absorbing vibration, not movement like you would have if the cannister were on the firewall.

These filters were often supplied as a dealer install kit, the flex hoses are there to make the kit universal. You can use hoses if there is movement or not. You can only use hard lines if there is no movement.

Shawn

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

rubber lines have worked for the past 70 some years so why mess with it? If it ain't broke don't fix it!

10. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

Like R Pope said, grease gun hoses work killer and come in all kinds of lenghts.

11. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

So have hard lines.

If you read his post, it IS broke.

The O.P. was asking if he could replace it with hard line, yes, he can, it's that simple really.

Remember, a closed mouth gathers no feet.

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You missed my point. I was refering to the design and there is a reason why rubber lines were used orginally instead of hard lines and the old saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it". That is what I believe in.

13. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I corrected my earlier post by adding the word "no" in my sentence...Sorry about the omission.

I'm not sure where the controversy is on this issue. The methods used to plumb various components that are mounted in the two ways being discussed...that is, either remotely or solidly mounted....were developed a century or more ago.

Regardless of where the filter canister is mounted it can be plumbed with flexible hose without any problems.

If the filter canister is mounted solidly to the exhaust manifold, as they typically were when installed by the dealers, the filter can also be plumbed with hard lines without any problems. In other words, in this mounting configuaration it can be plumbed with steel or flexible lines, or even with one flexible line and one hard line if that might be more convenient for the installer.

Adding a loop to the hard line of a filter canister mounted to the exhaust manifold might be a nice bit of "insurance" against a cracked line, but it's not a requirement. The only advantage would be to absorbe any vibration that might exist in the filter canister. Vibration that can only exist if the canister is loose or improperly mounted.

If the filter canister is mounted to the fender well or firewall it must have a flexible link on both lines. If hard lines are desired, for whatever reason, there must be a flexible "link" somewhere between the engine and canister. In this mounting configuration I do not believe that a simple loop in a steel line will be sufficient to absorbe the movement of the engine relative to the body.

Try looking on the Inliners International website.....these guys have been dealing with this stuff for many years and have a great deal of experience...

14. Road Runner

Road Runner

On my daily driver 235 with a bypass filter on the firewall, I use a combination of brake lines and flexible hose for both input and output.
    No leaks after many years.

15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I just went to "hose fast" and they made a hose with swivel and fittings for around 12$ only took about 5 minutes.