Register now to get rid of these ads!

a WIW guess? Old Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by a12, Dec 17, 2011.

1. a12

a12

Wondering what the going value is on a 51 Mercury Coupe? A driver car that's had some metal work done (correctly too, rockers, floors) and has it's original flathead and running gear. It's in pretty good shape, a decent driver, but not a show car. Chrome still needs to be redone, interior upgraded, but it runs down road nice. Mechanically reliable too. Any ideas what something like that would go for? I have a coworker selling one and he's a bit delusional in what he thinks it's worth:rolleyes:. Just trying to give him some ideas. Thanks guys. I'll get pics soon...

2. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

without pics and a little more definitive "pretty good shape" i am sure one would say whatever someone is willing to pay. i saw one last year "nice shape", warmed flathead, repaint and a nice older interior priced at 35K. there wasn't a line to grab it but when i discussed w/ a friend and with my description he guessed 30k. i had to change my underwear!

3. I'd guess $20-25ish based on other ones I've seen for sale over time.

4. a12

a12

Wow, really? I was thinking lower. Maybe I'm delusional! I've looked the car over a few weeks ago and took it for a little spin. No rust. If it had any it was replaced and done well. That was the front floors, outer right rocker, and a patch on the rear floors. Glass is delaminated, but not bad. Paint is just epoxy right now, black, and the body isn't in terrible shape as far as dents, etc. The car is just worn all around. The interior is ratty and needs to be redone. It's drives surprisngly well and the flathead has no noises and the trans shifts well too It's riding on wide whites and 57 caddy caps. Nice looker going down the road, but then you get up close and you see it's still a pretty good project. But a running and driving 51 Merc all complete none the less...

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I have mine listed for 19k. You either pay for a solid rust free car or you pay for fixing rust. Pics always help.

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

depending on how it looks, both inside and out, I am thinking high-teens to low 20's.

7. ebfabman

ebfabman

I'll also say after looking for 2 years based on what I've seen, a fairly solid running driving coupe should sell for somewhere from around 10-25K depending on the condition. Post some pics of it and you'll get a real good idea of what it's worth.

8. a12

a12

OK, thanks guys. It's worth a little more than I thought. Won't see the car again until the new year (that first week) so I'll post up then. Thanks for the help.

cheers

9. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

These stupid cars are worth money.

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

BEFORE you buy it, you must get it on a lift and look at the floors, inner rockers, outer rockers, base of A-pillar and B-pillar and the inner rear fender panels and trunk to see if there are any serious rust issues. Also check front lower lip of hood and the firewall inside the front fender panels. Rusty Mercs are very expensive to fix.