Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clay bar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadie, Dec 17, 2011.

1. roadie

roadie

I noticed that the solid color surface on my 53 Ford is very smooth in places and rough in others, almost like a paint over-spray feel. I used a clay bar to smooth out the rough areas and it seems to do the trick. I used the lubricant and clay from a kit that I bought in an auto parts store.

Since the clay bar kits are rather expensive, I'm wondering if anyone has used regular modeling clay that is found in the toy section at Wal Mart or any discount store. It looks and feels like the expensive stuff that comes in the kits. Also, what can be used as a lubricant? I thought about Armor All or even WD40 but not sure if that would be very good for the paint. Any ideas? Thanks.

Warren

2. Racewriter

Racewriter

When you consider what the clay bar kits do, they're not expensive at all. Stick with what works.

On the other hand, if you do use modeling clay and WD40, video the process and result and post it here....

3. Not sure about the clay but I'd seriously advise against using Armol All on paint. You'll regret it big time if you ever decide to repaint anything on your car. and because it floats so much in the air its never used in my shop. WD40 was never meant to be a lubricant was developed ro disipitate water, it does that well but there are many much better lubricants out there. Didn't answer your question am sure someone will chime in. As cheap as modeling clay is give it a try and let us know.

4. Roadie my english is not so good but will give it a try

Chemical guys has a good claybar for a good price
    The luber they sell(most detail sprays for cars work fine to) can be mixt with water 1/4
    If you use not enough liguid the claybar will give marring on your paint
    And then you must polish the car to get it off

Please dont us other stuff to do it

you can use the clay server times

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

What he said.
    Those kits are under 20 bucks and will do a whole car easily, if you don't drop it.
    They are designed and formulated to work together.
    If you gotta save 20 bucks, at least try your own process on something that won't matter. I'd rather buy cheaper Mac & Cheese and have a sharp car....

6. Cantstop

Cantstop

we used the same soapy water dilution for washing the car with. You need soap or spray n shine as a lube anything petroluem based will dissolve the claybar and make a mess

7. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A detailer told me he used window cleaner as the clay lubricant.

8. roadie

roadie

Thanks for the replies. The more I got to thinkin' about it, I knew WD40 or Armorall wouldn't be a good idea. I'm inclined to try the distilled water idea.

9. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

You can use water with a little liquid soap. Be sure to wax the car when you are done.

10. xlr8er

xlr8er

I've always used a final detail spray as a lubricant when claying a car. It's cheap and works very well. The product I use is actually called Final Detail but you could use any of those spray on/wipe off type waxes. Good Luck!

11. Roadie luber is 9.95$ you can mix it with water 1/4 so its cheap
    Water will not work with some clay

I am detailer for the fun this is a little part off my stuff
    [​IMG]

12. Alex S. L.

Alex S. L.
    BANNED

You can't use modeling clay. The clay in those kits is actually a petroleum product.

Soap and water is a perfectly good lubricant. I've used water from a hose running constantly, I've also used windex.

13. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

I'm also a tightwad and got tired of buying the pricey clay bar kits. They used to be $20 but shops here marked them up a year ago or so. You can buy the clay cheaper online ($8 for a two pack) and then just use dish soap & distilled water or leftover car wash soap & water in a cheap spray bottle. Works really well, and if you don't drop the clay you can keep it in a baggie for months. Since I have 5 cars I like cheap stuff that works just the same as the pricey stuff.

As mentioned before though, hit that with another wash & wax once you're all done.

14. you also have different clay bars soft medium hard

15. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

You can buy the clay bars separate on-line and use any car wash soap diluted in water or a water less car wash solution, I use the soap with perfect results...by the way it will get your window glass squeaky clean too!

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

20 bucks for a clay bar kit is too expensive ?!?! C'mon , man !!
    Save up for the 20 dollars and just buy the correct kit ... you won't regret it . You can use the clay bar(s) in the kit many , many times & if you store the bar in a ziplock bag it'll last for years . No sense doin' the old cheap-o route when there are perfectly good kits available at any auto parts & department store . Till you get done with all the nutz-in' around to piece a "kit" together , you'll not really be saving any scratch anyway . When the kit is only 20 bucks max , it's hard to justify all the carrying-on .

BTW - in no way , shape or form am I flush with cash . I just don't see the sense in all the messin' around when there's a perfectly good solution all set up for you at a more than reasonable price , that will not wreck your paint (rather than taking a chance on a botched-up "kit") . Just my 2 cents

17. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I agree that you cannot "cheap" out on the clay bar. You are trying to clean up a paint job that costs how much? The advice to keep the clay bar in a baggie or other air tight container is a good one. The stuff really does work, I was amazed at what it took off.

18. sololobo

sololobo

Clay bars are great, and using a good spray detailer is the way to go. WD-40 and soapy water are not good for the paint at all. bad stuff. the way to test your surface is not best served by rubbing with a bare hand. Put your hand in a plastic sandwich bag and feel the surface., you will be very surprised what a mine field you are feeling thru the bag, use same after clay baring. Very important in our polluted air to keep the paint slick. Thats my experiences any way, and clay bars seems a little expensive but are a bargain after seeing how great they are. ~sololobo~

19. i dunno how mucch the stuff is in the states but i used the adams clay bar with the detail spray and after using that stuff i wouldn'y ever use any other brand its amazing the results i got

20. Funny think tried some today, my wife rubbed the rear wheelwell on a wall this week, really light but left a few paint lines from the "invisible" wall.
    Anyhow, I tried claybar, it worked a bit, I guess I should have kneaded it a bit. But instead I busted out the old 1500 grit, then 2000 with a little soap and water, then the 3M hand glaze and all the paint cleaned up nice.

21. +1 for this

22. slammed

slammed

Keep your eyes peeled for on sale kits of name brands. Last Fall Wally world had the 32 oz. Meguires quick detailer (lube fer the bar) priced for the 16 oz. I bought 11! After you clay bar that car smooth everywhere, polish it then Wizard Sealant at least twice.