Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Lucky Find. 32 Ford 3w!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4psi, Dec 16, 2011.

1. 4psi

4psi

1932 three window coupes have always held the #1 spot on my wish list of cars to own. I was introduced to them at a very early age. My Uncle had a very nice chopped 3w that I remember very well. He sold it in 1991 (I was only 7 years old).

Here is a cell phone picture of a picture of it. lol. This picture of a picture does not due the car any justice. I will scan some of the pictures I have of the car later on.

[​IMG]

How could three windows not be my favorite after growing up around that car!

I didn't know how I would ever get the chance to own one. I have followed the prices of these cars over the years and they have always been WAY out of my reach! I never gave up the hope of owning one someday, and I have always kept my eyes open!!

I am from Oklahoma and there are tons of old barns scattered around this state. Every time I see one in passing I just KNOW there is a old hot rod sitting next to warnout farm equipment and hay bells inside just waiting to be found. That is how I always figured I would own a 32 ford anyway. That seemed more realistic to me than actually buying one from eBay.:)

After years of dreaming I finally bought a Henry Ford 1932 three window coupe, and I didn't even have to risk the chance of beeing shot trying to sneak a peak inside some farmers old barn!

I actually find this car on Facebook of all places. A girl who graduated highscool one year ahead of me (2002) randomly put three pictures of this car on her facebook page! I was the first to comment on the car and I jokingly said "Nice 32 ford, have cash, will buy".

It turns out the car was her fathers and it was in fact for sale. The three pictures she posted recieved a lot of attention, and many more comments. She even posted the price on one of the pictures :mad:. I was sick to my stomach when I saw that, I knew the car was now out of reach.

I tried to buy the car instantly and bring her a deposit that night, and my truck and trailer the next morning. This was all by facebook message by the way, which was taking hours at a time to get a response. No deposit was accepted, in fact I was third in line to buy.

The next morning I gave max effort to get her phone number and discuss this car further. I wasn't giving up with out a fight. My work paid off and I found her phone number.

When I finally got her to text me back about the status of the car I was now second inline because one of the buyers infront of me had backed out. The first guy was coming in three days with a "wrecker" on a Saturday because he held office hours and lived 100 miles away. I don't know anything about the first guy inline other than the term rat rod was used in our conversation, and he had plans to "chop it all up". I am sure if any of you guys here saw the pictures on Facebook waiting three day would not be an option!!

She told me that the car would be sold on a first come basis, so I got tricky and offered her a finders fee, which worked. She gave me her fathers phone number and the rest is history (for me anyways). He confirmed that it was an original car with title and owned it since the early 90's. The fenders are glass, but everything else is Henry! The car was parked under a metal car port next to a barn due to a leaking carb.

I took off work, grabbed my buddy Todd and headed with the cash to go see it. It was everything I could have ever hoped for!

Attached Files:

2. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

3. Wow! Very nice.

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So you're having an extra Merry Christmas, eh? NICE!

5. F&J

F&J

A simple change of the wheels and you could be in the 50s or the 60s depending on choice. Please leave the fenders on :)

6. Ghost28

Ghost28

He was coming with a wrecker, and used the term rat. I think you just saved this car from a fate worse than death. congrats on the find. And I agree with a few others leave the fenders on if ya can.

7. 4psi

4psi

Yes! Very Merry Christmas!

They are staying!!

I met up with my Uncle and Jim Smith from the Hot Rod Garage at the show in Austin, TX last weekend. They are really helping me out with this car and are giving me great guidance. There will some be some updates coming in the near future. It won't be a crazy super build like some of the cars I have seen being built on this site, but it should be a nice little driver.

8. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Great story,great car.Congrads

9. von birch

von birch

very cool find, and if nothing else, finding it from a girl you knew in high school gives it history! i like the hood even though it's not original, bring it down to the lonestar roundup in march and i'll buy it from ya! i need some wall art for my apartment! (i'm not kidding, i'm going to the roundup and i'll be driving down from kansas with some buddies from college!)

10. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

great score, keep us posted on the progress. always nice to see a 32. Dave

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice and you may have saved the car from having a real bad day to boot. That looks like you could wash it and service it and drive it.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The only day better than scoring a '32 is the day you buy a winning lottery ticket:rolleyes::D and that's only because the lottery ticket will allow you to buy several.:cool::)

Frank

13. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I'm glad to see that you bought the car but you lost me there somewhere. When you said it was "out of reach" I thought you meant that the price was more than you could afford to spend. The next thing I see is that you bought it. What happened in between? Did you win the lottery, borrow some money from someone, or get her dad to come down on his price? :confused:

14. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

nice job, your persistence paid off!

15. Nice story and outcome. Congrats. Your uncles 32 is awesome also.

16. BEAR

BEAR

lucky you man...

17. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

congrats, looks like a really nice car!

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

Very nice score!

19. snelson57

snelson57

Hey....I was the first guy. I guess I'll cancel my wrecker.

20. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

Okay, just curious, who much did you pay?

Glad you saved it from being a rat rod...

Wash it and enjoy.

21. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

It always pays off to be Lucky than good anytime you are that real damn lucky !
    I guess Santa was really looking out for you this year ! :D

I am glad to hear that you are leaving the fenders on . They really look sweet with fenders . :cool: Keep us posted on the build !

Again , Congrats on your new find !
    MERRY CHRISTMAS !

Retro Jim

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice find, explaining how Facebook works to us older clueless people would be a challange.

23. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I don't know who your uncle is, but you can't get better guidance than what Jim Smith can provide. Good for you.

24. 4psi

4psi

I think I will put the hood to use for awhile. Keep in touch with me and I will meet up with you guys around OKC.

Haha, your right about that!

Sorry for the confusion man. She posted what her dad was willing to sell the car for and it was a fraction of the cars value. I just had a bad feeling when she made the price public. I was afraid somebody was going to see the price and offer way more. I could feel it slipping out of my grasp and it made me sick!

Thanks! My Uncle's 32 was and still amazing! I believe its in Texas somewhere.

:D
    Thanks Jim, Merry Christmas to you too!

Its a website. You make an account. Then every 10 seconds post whats going on in your life, good or bad. Also include pictures every 30 seconds or everything around you. If nothing is going on in your life good or bad, post quotes from people that are way smarter than you. Be sure to not give those smarter people credit, others will think you are a genius. If you have ran out of quotes, post song lyrics.

Be sure to check the site every 55 seconds to make sure other people are following these rules. You will be a Facebook pro instantly if you follow those instructions.

My Uncle is Dave Griner, he is from Shawnee. Jim has a gift for building cars, I am always amazed by The Hot Rod Garage and their products!

-Charlie

25. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

What he said....

Very good find.

26. 61TBird

61TBird

I'm "stealing" that!! hahaha!

27. 4psi

4psi

Be sure to not give me any credit!! You know the rules!! :D

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes it's good for learning more than you wanted to know about your nieces latest tatoo too:rolleyes: Come to think of it the knothead kid hasn't posted anything in a week and a half.

29. Charlie (4psi) -

Cool 3wd! ... Definitely a unique "Barn Find" story ... I guess I need to stop being so shy about clicking the "Like" ( fb like.JPG ) or the "Comment" ( fb comment.JPG ) buttons on my fb logo.jpg friends posts :rolleyes: :D

Also ... I'm pretty sure H.A.M.B. rules dictate that all Deuce 3-window Coupe owners from the state of Oklahoma must have a "3w" in their username ... so you need to change yours to "3wCharlie" ;) :)

30. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I would have "liked" this but.. This is the HAMB! With our new iPhone apps and Twitter from Ryan, perhaps a HAMBbook is next! :D:D:D

Congrats on the find!