Register now to get rid of these ads!

Incredible welds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty f100, Oct 6, 2008.

1. AMEN, Im going to have to remember that one for future use...

Im not the best welder out there, but thats not going to stop me from always striving to get better. No one is the best, there will all ways be someone better!

2. 510madmav

510madmav

Getting the hang of it, mild steel anyway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 8flat

8flat

That is wild.... Nice work. I'll have to Google "walking the cup", haven't heard of that.

4. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

5. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

You guys blow me away with your work as usual! Phenomenal skills and some good info about the stainless manifolds. Thanks man.

Here is some lefty action. On the right is right handed right foot on the pedal and left is left hand left foot. Kind of a pain in the ass to support yourself with your right leg and controling your left is even worse lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one has a bit of under bit at the beginning, it's just the way that the laser cuts the tubing and me not using enough filler :) But made for some nice photos I thought?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man do I gotta work on my starts and stops... :eek:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  6. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

OOOooo OOOooo Almost forgot... Got to weld some aluminum a few days ago. I like aluminum :)

Just a couple of fuel cells.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

8. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Ahhh man! How do you do it?! I have yet to try it with aluminum but thats amazing!

9. rodknocker

rodknocker

Is this by hand or a machine? Its pretty wild.

10. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

It's by hand. Forget machines, you gotta weld with SOUL :D

11. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

12. Wow...I wish I could teach THAT.

13. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Luckily for me, you don't need to have a soul to weld with soul...I made that trade a while back. HA!

14. GREAAAT... Just don't publish that 25th welding video and you'll be fine.;)

15. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Old E D on Stainless. .030 wire, 1/16" tungsten.

[​IMG]

16. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Thats nice man, gotta be tough to see what your doing at that point?

Got a question for you guys. I'm looking at buying a TIG for the home shop and I'm looking at either getting a used Miller square wave 375. Ooo yeah the big one :D That or a new Miller Diversion 180. I'm sure that the Diversion would suffice for what I'll be doing with it but I'm worried that it will piss me off with the limited control/options. The square wave, though being out dated, a transformer, and huge, it has all the bells and whistles. And either one will cost about the same. I'll mainly be welding steel but when I do go to weld aluminum it's gotta be mint, and I fight with the "basic" Syncrowave at work enough as it is. Mostly weld thin guage when it comes to aluminum but I sometimes find myself with 8mm (1/4 inch) stuff to weld, so the 375 has the advantage there, hands down. But then again it's very rare that comes around.

Opinions?

17. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I just bought the Diversion 180, still learning how to TIG so I can't vouch for performance yet. BUT its small, light, simple, has the thumb roller, and the "dummy" chart. My salesman says 1/4" steel no prob, 3/16" aluminum tops.

18. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I've messed around on Diversions, they're nice. No post flow adjustment, so that sucks. If you're already thinking you'll be pissed you didn't get a bigger machine....you soon will be. Not just for thickness, but for smoothness at higher amps and duty cycle.

I learned to weld on a Syncrowave 350, they are fine on aluminum. I'd never buy a used inverter, but I would a transformer.

Edit: I'm not saying the Diversions suck. They are AWESOME for a guy doing light stuff in his garage. I think you'd want something bigger though.

19. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

And yeah, my eyes are terrible as it is. Pretty bad double vision. At that point I'm welding by feel as much as sight.

20. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I always tell people to get the most welder you think you're ever going to need. If you don't, you end up wishing you did. I went with a Syncrowave 250 package and would pick the same if I had to do it over again.

21. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Thanks for the input guys. I was planning on going with the Syncrowave, just was thinking that a new machine is a new machine ya know? But yeah thats my own advice as well haha. I learned on a late model 250 and I've been using nothing but Millers and a Lincoln all being high power plants. I'd say I'm quite comfortable with them so I'll just stick to that.

Why wouldn't you get a used invertor?

Back on topic! :D
    Here is some of that 8mm I was talking about. It's actually just a hair under 3/8". Just a scrap piece to see how it would weld, 6052 aluminum, some tuff stuff... No pre heat, 150A, Tungsten on the verge of bursting, did alright though. Excuse the torch angle :/ The part it self is a bit complex with extensive welding, T joints at that.... Gonna have to put on some thick mittens for that jobbie.

[​IMG]

22. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

23. noboD

noboD

Brown Dog, have you ever used HTS-2000 as a repair? It's a very low temperature alloy used to repair aluminum or other soft metals. I did a search and didn't find any discussion on the HAMB.

24. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I have not. One of the old time instructors at Chrysler talked about that or something similar one time...the guys who sell it make it look super easy, and they sell it to guys thinking it's a cheap alternative that's easy to do. But the guys that sell it have mastered the technique. The fella telling me the story was a BAD ASS tig welder, a guy with 40 years of welding/brazing experience, and he said he bought the stuff, tried it, and gave it up because it was such a pain. Of course he could just weld whatever he needed to fix, so I'm not sure he spent a ton of time on it.

25. noboD

noboD

Thanks, I am also a millwright. We have a job that requires a sensitive repair. I've not seen the location but heat is an issue. A guy was playing with this stuff the other day in our shop. He had to tin the area, so that tells me there's lead or zinc involved. Strength was my big question mark. Sheet aluminum reacted way differant then square tube. The sheet was way easier. I'm guessing the sheet was 3003 and the tube was 6061.

26. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Yeah thats a good point, I once had to caugh up 500 bucks for a control panel on a Lincoln... Cant really afford a new inverter but that old squarewave has plenty of features to keep me happy.

27. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

28. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Just a brief dumb question:

Could you describe, in detail, how you go about testing mig/tig welds? For example if i wanted to weld some up some tubes, how would i know if the welds really are good?

Yes, i am a beginner but i've only done stick.

29. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

That's not welding at all. He uses no metal.

There are a lot of different ways to do it. It's not just a matter of performing the right tests, but also interpreting the data. Too much to get into in this thread. If you've got a local CC with a decent welding program, talk to them.