Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merc guys I need your help grill surround

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willburton7, Dec 16, 2011.

1. willburton7

willburton7

Ok on my 51 merc I want to use my stock grill surround. I need info on how to make it look good. What is the best way to get the hood to match up with the front of it.

2. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

49/50 grill surround is the way.

3. willburton7

willburton7

Does anybody use a 51 on a custom?

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes, a good example is the Hirohata Merc.

5. I'll be using the 51 shell on my 51, but, I'm also extending/pie cutting the front of the hood to fill in the underbite. I'm also closing the horizontal seam and cutting under neath the hood to hide the line. No pics, don't ask.

6. willburton7

willburton7

Anyone seen a thread on here that shows pics of different way. I have not decided to use the 51 yet. More or less just looking for more options to be a little different.

7. Squablow

Squablow

I'm curious to see some pics too, as I have a '50 and a '51 shell and haven't decided which one I want to use (although this is for a '53 Ford car and not a Merc). I've seen the '51 Merc hoods extended out to meet the shell, but I think I'd prefer if the shell was cut back/sunk into the car to meet up with the hood instead, someone has to have done that I would think.

8. I am stickin' with the 50 grill

Attached Files:

9. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I did this, probably will on my 51 now if I can get it to resemble a car again. Just close the hood with it lining up reasonably well, trace the hood (where stock trim went) slice there and take that material out. Move it back to meet the hood.

10. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

you can flare the hood out like my old silver one or do what chris said and section a chunk out and line it up with the hood like my other 51

Attached Files:

11. cretin

cretin

Here is a '51 I worked on at the shop, I flared the hood like slddnmatt mentioned, with a DeSoto grill. And I kept the grill surround almost stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. willburton7

willburton7

I like the flared hood. Is there a good way to make the area under the headlights a little more eye appealing. I am also goin to run a desoto grill, if I ever find two more teeth.

13. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

I left my hood alone, and moved the piece in to meet the hood, then made my own pieces on each side to flow like the '50 cavity[​IMG]

14. willburton7

willburton7

51 gringo do you have any close up pics from under the headlights and that merc is one of my favorite on the hamb.

15. DANSLED

DANSLED
    from CW, Ohio

I'll probably switch to a 49/50 grill shell on mine or rework the stock one similar to 51 gringo. This 51 with reworked hood looks good and is what it seems most do with a 51.

Attached Files: