Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Shoebox A arms!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brawal128, Dec 16, 2011.

1. brawal128

brawal128

I know this has probably been asked before, but I have done some searches and have not found much on the subject.

Has anyone ever made their own Upper and Lower A arms for a shoebox. I'm looking around for ideas. I know that Jamco sells a good setup and so does Fatman. But, what about someone who has more time than money, which is probably most of us.

So, with that being said, what spindles, calipers and master cylinders would go well together and be safe and reliable. I guess, my reasoning behind the thought process is, if you can build a 4 link suspension by using DOM and bar ends, why not make your own A arms. I know that it would take some mock up and understanding geometry, camber and suspension travel. I was just curious if any of the kick ass fabricators on here have ever thought about this? Don't know, I might be thinking way outside the box, but I have seen a mini-truck company build their own A arms for later model trucks.

brandon

2. smarg

smarg

I've seen some stupid crap.. (crap is not the first word I thought of)

Wait, save money, buy profesionally made product.

You might end coming up with this trash if not.. (NOT my control arms below)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  3. Fenders

Fenders

I was surprised to see an ad from Woody's referring to the '55 - '57 Chevrolet as a "shoebox." I thought the shoebox was the 49 - 51 Ford.
    Now I find out there is a 55 - 57 Chevrolet Shoebox Club formed way back in 1999 !!

So now do we have to clarify which shoebox we're talking about? (If you don't say, I will assume it's the real one, the Ford...)

4. brawal128

brawal128

I'm talking about the 49-51 Shoebox's.

And the pictures of those lower arms looks like someone might get hurt. I've used aftermarket upper and lowers on a 63' Ford F100 and they are mainly dom tubing, bar ends w/ urethane bushings (like 4 link and 3 link rear suspension's). I think I was more curious to see what spindles, calipers and master cylinders people were using, if and when anyone had taken on project like this.

5. brawal128

brawal128

See like her is a pic of guy who made his own lowers.

Attached Files:

6. No Plan

No Plan

I've been thinking of making my own also. Can't be that hard. I need a set for o.t. G- body GM...when you drasticly lower them, the wheel moves up & back too much... I'm retired, was a machinist for 40 years, the last 27 years of that worked as a fabricator/designer for a large company. I have my own tig' & know how to use it, just don't have a tubing bender yet..... (I'm ready for some MAJOR comments on this one!).

7. brawal128

brawal128

Here is a link that I found that explains the all different suspension setups. I read it and it has opened my eyes. Just wanted to share it.

http://teamzx2.com/threads/10674-suspension-geometry-types-setups-(long-read-but-good!)

No Plan- Your right, it can't be that hard as long as your a great welder and have a general idea od steering and suspension geometry. Which the WorldWideWeb has tons of information. Main thing I have found out, is read about racing suspension setup and offroad suspension setup. Those 2 have been great places for information and teaching.

8. 117harv

117harv

As a chassis fabricator for me it wouldn't be two much work. It's all about geometry, and choosing the right spindle. Do you want to retain a steering box or go with a rack? Front or rear steer? They make threaded rings for large screw in lower ball joints, as well as smaller ones for the uppers. Combine them with some large DOM tubing and fab away. The lower takes most of the stress, so the uppers can be made of lighter material. The mounts for uppers can be made many ways for caster and camber adjustment.

9. Jamco uses granada spindles,calipers and rotors and just modifies the ends to accept ball joints,keeps all the stock control arm points

10. brawal128

brawal128

I would be wanting to go with a rack and pinion steering and I'm assuming that would be a front steer, not rear? Moog makes ball joints that screw in and would work great with a flat plate slotted into the DOM tubing, then tig welded. Great information.

11. brawal128

brawal128

Is there a specific year?

12. No Plan

No Plan

I just got done moding 54 Ford lower a-arms for air suspension & drop spindles w/disc brakes. Now working on doing a r&p for it.

13. brawal128

brawal128

BTW, the Granada Spindles are rear steer. I was looking for spindles that are for front steer applications.

Still good information.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've wondered for years why someone hasn't come up with tube A frame setups that bolt to the factory A arm mounting points on Shoebox Fords , 49/51 Mercs and 49/54 Chevys that use ball joints and later spindles. You might have to machine the shafts for them but it shouldn't be that hard to keep the same or improved geometry and build in caster and camber adjustment where needed.