Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Poster Art of Georges Hamel (Geo Ham)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I always wondered who was the man behind the work. It's a shame that his work is kinda sitting in the bargain bins at Marshal Home Good stores or in the Home Decor section of Target but like anything good in life it's abused.

I don't think I've seen his work on Motorcycles but they're pretty breathtaking. That black one is very very cool. Pastels/charcoal on Watercolor paper?

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's awesome work!!!!

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm in the same Boat Jeffry, I had always seen the images but had no idea who was behind them. Thank you Jive Bomber.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

5. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I went easy on the bike images in the post, but check this one out:

[​IMG]

6. cederholm

cederholm

He set the standard as far as I'm concerned.

~ Carl

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm always amazed when people can simplify their work but still get everything in that's needed to convey the speed. There's enough of the engine for you to know what's going on there but not enough to get caught up in the details because it's not a technical drawing ya know? Style for miles. You either have it or you don't I guess. Damn good stuff.

8. Fairtax1

Fairtax1

I've always loved authentic, vintage poster art. Notice I said authentic. And Hamel is definitely one of the best at capturing the feeling of that incredible time in motorsports.

If anyone is looking for genuine work, you might try The Julia Santen Gallery. If you're ever in Charleston, it's definitely worth checking out. Julia knows just about everything about all types of vintage poster subject matter and there's usually at least a few Geo Hams in her shop.

http://www.juliasantengallery.com

9. 2manyseats

2manyseats
    from London, UK

Apologies for poor pic. This poster works despite having some odd perspective.

Attached Files:

10. Thanks for that Jay, great story.

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

fantastic.

jeff, i would say watercolor, pastel, charcoal, and ink. amazing skill.

12. Jive-Bomber Jay - I echo what Jeffrey James & need louvers stated ... Thanks for the history behind this wonderful "poster" artwork!

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

one of the best. you could also do a write up on "GAMY" and "Monteau" a touch older, but equally fine.

14. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I have always loved this style of art. I find it hard to be simplistic in doing automotive art because I am a fine-detailer in general. I have done some simplified art recently and really enjoy it. Not because it is faster but really fun to produce. Thanks for the great post.

15. autobilly

autobilly

He's able to convey the feeling of blasting a rigid framed, girder forked "road rocket" through the mean streets very well with this one.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  16. Always loved this style. Great entry Jay!

17. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Absolutely perfect. Isle of man, perhaps?

18. flamingokid

flamingokid

Beautiful stuff....

19. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Those are magnificent............and frickin cool!

20. Gator

Gator

We have a couple of those in our 'bonus room'. Always loved that style of art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

I've been collecting vintage racing posters for over 35 years. I have a couple Geo ham posters (originals not the dime a dozen reprints). One of my other favorite artists is Michel Beligond. His work was more in the late '50s thru the '60s. Ivisited a fellows shop/garage some time ago and he had an original Geo Ham painting used for the poster art.

A couple of my other favorite artists are Walter Gotschke, Hans Liska and Michael Turner.

Cheers,
    Kurt O.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been a fan for a long time but didn't really know much about him, just that I like\the work and some of the posters are an inspiration for a car I am collecting parts for.

23. sololobo

sololobo

Wonderful story, I have always admired Ham's illistrations and the bike picture you posted is super fine! Thanx for the coolness! ~sololobo~

24. RM-Special

RM-Special

I bought this Geo Ham repro poster a month or so ago .Not only is it a neat example of period advertising ,it is an excellent piece of art in its own right,the composition,colours and sense of speed really do it for me.
    Cheers RM

Attached Files:

25. I have several of his posters on my computer. His art deco style is amazing in its simplicity. Beautiful stuff!

Some of you old enough to have been into music videos in the '80s remember a great music video by A-ha called "Take On Me", which is drawn in his style, then animated in a style called "roboscoping". Cool vid, and what George Hamel might have done, if he were an animator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

Here is a poster:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  26. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

A little antique store near me has an original watercolor print by Geo Ham, I was dismayed at the price, and it hasn't been reproduced, but in my search I did find another which has.:D

[​IMG]

27. 1958apache

1958apache

Wow.... I almost bought one of his posters at World Market last night... Ironic that it is on the Hamb today

28. 8intheblock

8intheblock
    from france

29. 8intheblock

8intheblock
    from france

This original document shows one of the designer"s works of Michel Beligond
    a super Simca !

He worked for Renault, Alpine and probably for Simca when we look at this convertible .

I would say ..
    "Geo Ham raises me the hairs on the arms" but "Beligond's art is so cool"
    when you compare 55 56 and 58 59 Le Mans Event Posters
    Seems that Beligond "gave peace" by the picture to 24H after the tragedy era

if anybody has an idea about this ..... ?

Thanks

30. 8intheblock

8intheblock
    from france

About Michel Beligond

to consider these 3 facts

1 the ending career of Geo Ham for 24h in 1956 ...
    2 the no signature "slot racing clock track" event poster of 1957 24H ...
    3 the upcoming new Beligond's collaboration in 24h event posters from 1958 ...

i'st very intersting to compare Ham and Beligon's style

just have a look at
    1955 24h official Poster : BRrrrrrrrrrr ! Ghost Race ...
    1956 24h official Poster : Ben Hur car racing !
    1957 24h official Poster : nobody ... no cars on this one not even a signature
    1958 24h official poster : This car smiles like a clown
    1959 24h official poster : "The Ballet" start type Le Mans

Can we imagine That Aco told to Geo Ham ..."Thank You Mr Ham , I'ts finish for you .. your work is too much violent on our poster Event !" ?
    from this point of view , Beligond"s "Happy style" seems to be the real new communication ACO needed to forget the 55 drama ?