Register now to get rid of these ads!

FED,ALTERED...what would it be???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XOFMOT, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The Ford 5 window fuel coupe body that was built by a guy I know who took a fiberglass Ford legends car body, then he made it longer, wider, and taller (he wanted something different for when he runs his car as a AA/FA, he also runs a nostalgia F/C body on same chassis). He loned the Ford body to the Funny Factory so it could be used as a plug to make a mold from it.

[​IMG]

Next to a topolino.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. Man, Army's stuff is really cool! Wish I had the money... and the balls to drive it.

3. LZ

LZ

Hi Tom:
    Just for kicks and giggles check out this Thread at the CFCB.
    http://classicfunnycarboard.com/CFB/index.php/topic,20269.0.html

Its funny cause I have thought about this for my Son. Something easy to work on and with parts I have about 80% of. Something neat and relative to past. Wouldnt rotate the earth but so what.
    They have a Gasser Series race here and think about this to have fun and get away from the usual Saturday bracket deal. Ya its bracket racing . But your in a LIKE class of people and cars. Know what I mean?
    We have run the Wednesday club night. Great time and people. Plus even if ya loose you still race because each round is for points.

Anyway if you do this good luck. Remember the car has to have the look.:cool:
    If you look at old pics you will see. Car can be 50 years old and still look just kick a**
    Hi Kenneth:)
    thanks
    Luke

4. Here's a link to a thread from a couple years ago on this subject.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=306543

Just keep in mind that the difference between traditional altereds/roadsters and comp coupes/modified roadsters had 2 basic, unchangeable rules.
    (1) Altereds/Roadsters: No more than 25% engine setback and driver in front of the centerline of the rear.
    (2) Comp Coupes/Modified Roadsters: More than 25% engine set back, driver in any location.
    (2)

5. Here are a few traditional and unusual Comp Coupes from my photo library. Note that #58 has the engine behind the driver who is stuffed up under the cowl. Second row on the left is HAMBer Beep with his home built dragster chassis with a Speedway body. Parked next to Beep is a Modified Roadster. These cars used to run in seperate classes untill NHRA combined them in the early 60's into Comp Eliminator.

BTW...my yellow Pinocchio Fiat is 4 Sale @ $20,000. Check the classified section.

Attached Files:

6. Here are two altereds. One traditional and the other modern built on a Funny Car chassis with a Rod 'n Race Funny Fiat body..

Attached Files:

7. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Hey LZ.

Cool pics Rich, that 99 Bantam looks wild with the rear tires all most completly covered by the body.

8. cunningplan

cunningplan

Here are a couple of coupes from this side of the pond,
    Pedro's Vicky coupe (215ci Rover (Buick)) with Scotties Ruby bodied one. (2ltr Pinto)
    [​IMG]
    And the Fiat bodied one I am building/having built
    (351c on pump gas)
    [​IMG]
    The only problem with using box tube over here is that it will not tag and can only be used for none race events.

9. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

Linky no worky..

Can someone help me understand how engine setback is properly measured?? I've read a few ways (front axle centerline to #1 plug)..just lookng for an easy clarification.

10. oj

oj

There is no engine setback rule in altered - wheelbase no greater than 125"; driver behind the engine and ahead of the rear end. There may well be other restriction in street roadster, i don't think so but having built a number of them the driver sits on the left and you are limited where the engine can be located and i would expect that it is less than 25% being practical so i never figured it out. They were generally 115wb an dthe engine just sat as far back as possible, 12-18" maybe?

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It's not like FED drivers always sat behind the rear axle. When I started going to the drags, some dragsters looked more like sprint cars. Look at the first Christman car. As traction became more important drivers moved back until the "Sling shot" was invented. Then Mickey Tompson invented the narrowed rear end to make the cars eaiser to drive. And so on.

12. pedronitro

pedronitro

heres mine ,looks lots like what your planning ,good luck with it :D

Attached Files:

13. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

Sure looks like the same body!!! I'm leaning more towards building as an altered chassis the more I'm reading into this!

14. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

What wheel base are you wanting to go with? A modern day funny car chassis is 125". With the body you want to run it would be an alerted. If you put a flip up "Glass" full body on it, it would be a funny car. If you put a roadster body on it, it would be an altered.

15. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Better yet. Build a new, 150" FED frame, plant your sack on the rearend and have a SFI/NHRA legal Comp/Coupe.

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I knew it was coming to an end when they started letting roadsters run in Altered class. I moved over to SCTA where Altered Coup really means sedan. But at least we have a roof and windshield. My roadster runs in roadster class. All is right with the world.

Attached Files:

17. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

That was my original plan..but the more I been thinking...a 125" WB vehicle will better suit me. It will fit in the garage sooo much better, my exisiting trailer will work ( would need a longer one for a dragster) and really think it would be a cool looking altered!

18. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

According to Al Marcellus in the heyday of AA/FA's the minimum wheelbase was 109". I'd take his word over anyone else's!!

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When I was running my Altered it was 92 inches. Which I was right on. Also Christmans Comp Coup from the Good Old Days. Nostalgia depends on how old you are. Or when you started racing. Most of what you guys think of as the Old Days came after I gave up on the drags as having moved to far from it's roots.

Attached Files:

20. bobw

bobw

My 2008 NHRA rulebook states 90" wheelbase minimujm for Altereds. 125" maximum.

21. HILLBILLY'ED

HILLBILLY'ED

Mine has a 109" WB it will run as an Altered......... frame has been certified 7:50 & slower both NHRA & AHRA

Attached Files:

22. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Looks like fun (with a FE).

23. I had the same kind of idea a couple years back, but someone offerd me a decent buck for the old Model A stock car body so he could restore it.

[​IMG]

24. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

I've been gathering parts left and right over the past month....Build thread to start soon!!

25. Oldhenry1

Oldhenry1

I would have to agree with Mousie Marcellus, he lived it. One of the nicest guys I've met in any kind of racing. He actually registered me as one of his crew members at CHHR years ago when I got stuck in the staging lanes with our car and wasn't allow to register as a crew member. Didn't know me from Adam but we were racing the in the same class. Got to crew on the Winged Express that year. It was the thrill of a lifetime. A friend restored the second Nanook AA/FA, ours was 109 inch wheelbase.

26. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

What would it be?.... It would be a hand full with a blown fuel motor, thats a fact Jack. JC