Register now to get rid of these ads!

what front IFS kit are you running in your 47-55 3100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowcal52, Dec 13, 2011.

1. lowcal52

lowcal52
    from Downey, CA

what up, im trying to figure out what ifs i want to run on my project. i know alot of people are running the mustang 2 but ive had 2 friends of mine use them on their projects and arent very satisfied with the amount of travel they get out of them. Im going to be running adjustable suspension and im trying to figure out what everyone things about there front end swap and approximately how much travel they get laid out to full lock up.

2. all you're going to find is Mustang ll, S10 frame swap orr Camaro clip

I went a different route and it fit perfect. but I don't have it on the road yet, So I'm reluctant to hype it. 49-54 chev passenger car/ 53-62 Corvette

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. whid

whid

i've got a AMC Pacer in my 49................whid

4. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

TCI MII for me, w/ air bags. I guess I don't understand the travel deal, I can lay the front crossmember an inch off the ground (where I have my snubbers set) or a foot or more off the ground.

5. badshifter

badshifter

$500 says you can not. There is not a MII setup from TCI, or anyone else with a foot of travel. Nope.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Jag series 2 IFS in a friends. Easy conversion, Power steering and Disc brakes, plentiful and cheap. Plus Chevy bolt pattern.

7. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

I think Elpolako has done some dodge dakota swaps that work really well.

8. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I run a fatman superlow with 2" spindles. My running boards sit 3/4" off the ground when slammed and 8" at full lift. Rides great, handles pretty well.....for fat assed whitewalls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ride hight.
    [​IMG]

9. I would look at a Jag .

10. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

I had a 36 Poncho with a Pacer crossmember. Now where to find one would be the problem.

11. Fatman's.....hands down!

12. bstie

bstie

Ol' Chevy your truck rules! I am having a No Limit kit installed on my Studebaker right now I only hope it sits as nice as yours!!

13. Joes50

Joes50

Your sure do have a sweet truck Ol'chevy

14. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

If there is a travel issue with a Must II it is usually from cut springs instead of dropped spindles. I have run many a Must II crossmember and only issue was the strutless lower a-frames, it felt "loose" to me, maybe I boogered up, not the first time and not the last time (grin), my current build using C4 'vette, front & rear. I like the green truck with Buick headlight trim in earlier posts and am stealing many of his ideas plus visor and skirts for the late 50's/early 60's "Philly" style I remember as a kid, planned drivetrain is turbo'd six with 5 speed. No one will see suspension, it's for my old arse comfort.

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I've got a Industrial Chassis Dakota kit in mine. Steve (El Polacko here) used to make these. Check with him. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED KIT!
    Got 5,000 miles on mine, aligned easy, tire wear's minimal. Easy to steer and strong enough to carry a Suburban loaded with family.

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Interesting swap, never thought of that one! I have a '62 Vette front clip and a '53 Chevy Panel, I see a possible marriage! If you want to share any info and possible pic's shoot me a PM with your E-Mail addy.............. Thanks

17. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

late 70's to early 80's regal/cutlas/monte/etc. are the best.

Built like a Z28 but more narrow & preferred.

Im stalling a MMII now in a 54 chevy p/u & MMII suck.

18. kellenmac3

kellenmac3
    from ohio

I was looking at a TCI Mustang II with dropped spindles for my 50 AD chevy. Anybody out there have any pics of theres. I'm curious how they sit. They claim a 4" drop, but I'd love to see one.

19. i'm running a 73 to 87 (Later years are metric) Chevy 1/2 ton front end under mine. its a bolt in with 1/2 inch plates on each side pretty simple. You can see pictures of the swap in my photo albums under ifs swap

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I've now install two kits into 47 through 53 chevy pickups and used kits from Kennys Rod & Custom Newton Falls, Ohio (330) 872-1932
    I found them to be plenty sturdy and well designed. They make their own.
    Very reasonably priced.. for the kit ..But the directions suck.

jeremy hughes likes this.
  21. I used Jag front and rear in my 53 GMC project. Front is really easy, no cutting necessary; but since you want to get extra low, you could notch the Jag crossmember up into the frame At normal ride height with std coil springs my running boards will be about 8 inches off the ground.

22. Isn't that the poorly designed kit where the upper A-arms dig into the frame rails?

23. lowcal52

lowcal52
    from Downey, CA

I've been looking at the no limit ifs kit that uses camaro ball joints.. I'm not sure what its called but I was wondering if anyone has used it and if so what did you think about it

24. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Fatman has a great kit and excellent tech. spport. Brent is a great guy and knows his stuff. Never heard of the uppers digging into the frame, unless the installer is a total DA.....you would have to put forth effort to screw it up that badly. I beat the shit out of mine and drive it all the time.

25. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

I am running my own kits on my '48 and '53. it uses GM metric spindles and A-arms.

Kaline and shane degrand like this.
  26. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

make sure if you buy a fatman kit.buy from fatman! No limit well Iam not going to go there!

27. Cumminsf100

Cumminsf100
    from Taylor, tx

I second the 73-80's chevy truck suspension, did the exact same thing on my 54 20 years ago. Easiest swap ever.

28. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Well you're right that was pretty liberal of me...8-9" might be more accurate but I should measure it. Point being I don't have any issue with the amount of travel. Just never heard the complaint before, wondering why...

29. TCI mII in mine with2" dropped spindles. Alignment was a breeze and it rides real nice after I added the sway bar.

Attached Files:

30. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

The 73-up has a wide track width...not good if you plan to lower it. The Dakota swap would be a great one, just no more kits available to adapt. The Dakota matches the track width of these trucks closely and is a fairly heavy duty suspension system. DO NOT clip these trucks. The amount of time and potential to screw it up during install makes spending $ for a kit that fits make more sense.

Kaline likes this.