Register now to get rid of these ads!

WARNING on Rubber Fuel Hoses!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by safari-wagon, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Have seen many SS braided lines do that. Many conditions will affect it like age, heat and movement. Teflon lined not so much, just worn out from movement (less than desirable installations). I used to laugh at my friend who installed Simpson CO2 fire system in his roadster, actually not a bad idea.

Oh, have also witnessed SS lines leaking air into them, like on the supply side of a fuel pump. Replaced a perfectly good pump, a couple times.

2. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

Earls makes a rubber fuel line that is blue in color....never had a problem with it and it lasts!!!!

3. JEM

JEM

Stainless braided RUBBER hose should not be used with gasoline unless you can get specifics, in writing, from the manufacturer, on what percentages of what alcohols and additives it will tolerate.

The braided TEFLON hose is okay, but keep the bends reasonable, if the Teflon liner kinks it's shot. Especially true for brake hoses.

Personally I'm not so fond of the shiny-braided-stuff look that I need to have a bunch of that running around my engine compartment. But then Saab, Volvo, Mercedes used to use braided-steel-over-nylon lines back in the 90psi K-Jetronic mechanical-injection days (I recall being a bit surprised finding that the fuel lines in my first Saab ran right through the interior, under the rear-seat latch where when I got the car the seat was sitting on them, down the left side of the driver's footwell...think they finally moved the fuel lines under the car in '86.)

Most modern 30R7 (low-pressure fuel line) should be okay. Remember, this is for low pressure fuel systems. If you're running EFI pressures to, for instance, a bypass regulator you'd better be running injection-quality plumbing to it too.

If in doubt, fuel-injection hose is 30R11 and it's expensive as hell but will be safe for just about any application.

Whatever you do make sure you're using the right fittings and/or clamps. I'm rather fond of the internally-banded Oetiker ear clamps for the rubber hoses.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  4. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I never use rubber fuel lines as they rot easily and corrode internally plugging up the carb with rubber pieces. I changed mine out to all hardend steel lines and never had a problem .. Looks way better too!

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hardened steel lines from tank to carb??

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the things that should be on everyone's maintenance list for each vehicle he/she owns is checking out all of the fuel and brake lines at least once a year and taking a quick look at them each time you service the rig.

7. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I had an issue with my Harley with a rubber fuel line. I rode to work that day and my office overlooks the parking lot. It was a beautiful day and I had my office window open. I kept getting a strong smell of gas so I finally get up and look out the window to see a huge puddle next to my bike and a steady stream coming from the line. I run out shut the petcock off and borrowed a buddies car to go to the parts store to fix my bike. Luckily it happened while parked and not while I was riding (it would have shot all over my leg). This damn new fuel sucks!

8. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

This junk fuel hose wont be a problem much longer. There are several news article lately spelling out Chinas problems and we can expect them to stop shipping their junk to America

9. Squirrel,
    I actually replaced what little rubber I had on the Pusher 3 times in the 5 years I had it on the road. I don't think ti was due to Alcohol, when doing my normal engine checks I would notice the hoses looking pretty weather checked. I think it was due to air pollution, air pollution in a larger city is as hard on the outside of a soft line as fuel is on the inside.

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I run propane on my truck. Never had a problem with hoses or any leaks after 5-6 years now.

No problems on my ricer gasoline 7 year old late model daily either. I'm not the one that pops the hood on it (on purpose and that is why I have it), so not sure of hose situation. But, never heard of or seen any problems with it. Maybe the Japanese know how to make hoses that don't leak.

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Kind of like a drug addict blaming the pusher - FAIL.

They are only shipping it to us because OUR companies that sell it ask for it and WE buy it because it is cheaper than the more expensive stuff. Just buy the better stuff that actually works to begin with and they will stop on their own. That is how a free market works. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy the cheap crap. Nothing new about it, yet we can't seem to stop ourselves. But, let's just blame others for forcing it on us why don't we.

12. Tony

Tony

Exactly. This line was designed to combat the effects of the shit mixures our gas has now days.
    I work at an auto repair shop, and the effect of the ethanol mixture and the damage it's causing is a topic of conversation with our sales reps, and fuel component company reps that visit.
    The Barricade hose is not supposed to deteriorate from the effects of the ethanol.
    I started buying it and replacing whatever rubber hoses i've used on my cars.
    Can i say it will not fall apart like the old stuff, well, not yet, but i'd rather use it than take a chance.
    Even the fuel injection hose is vulnerable. The biggest difference between the old style hose and inj hose is the webbing inside it. It's designed to withstand higher pressures, but really dosn't have anything to fight the ethanol..
    It does seem to outlast the old stuff, but that dosn't mean it's not going to deteriorate and have problems.

Just build em safe and use the hose thats designed for the shit gas we unfortunately have now.

As a side note, the new gas is even causing damage in fuel systems of newer stuff too..it's that bad.

Tony

13. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use Stabil Ethanol Treatment or Startron to deal with the crappy gas.

14. hotrod428

hotrod428

I had the same thing on my Lark with year old NAPA hoses, cracked all over and hard as a rock.

15. slammed49

slammed49

Why in the hell would you put even a high quailty rubber fuel line on any motor...ever heard of a tubing bender and stainless tubing or even brake line?....have you ever seen any manufacture use rubber on a motor for fuel?...not me!

16. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

There is new rubber fuel line for cars these days for both carburated and fuel injected cars.
    Its a Barricade style fuel line (it has an inner tubing that withstands the different harsh chemicals in fuel's today) because of fuels today it breaks down the inside of hose and turns it to mush.
    Alot of parts stores are just starting to carry it and alot of stores are not even aware of it! ..... if you are running rubber line, ask for a Barricade style fuel line, its a little more money but its well worth it.

17. JEM

JEM

Actually, I thnk all the Gates hose I've bought lately said 'Made in India'.

China's very good at 'quality fade'. They can make absolutely top-quality product. And they will, for the QC samples.

Then someone's nephew comes along and takes the plant manager to dinner, suggests that there'd be a nice little bundle of yuan for him if he got his polymers from his cousin's firm and - oh of course it's JUST as good - you don't need to rock the boat, you don't need to tell your Western customers.

And they get away with it for a while.

Then someone dies.

The only way you get quality out of China is massive and continuous QC. Anything they try to slip past you has to be caught right away.

There was a remarkable situation a few years ago when a fairly well-known baby-formula manufacturer started blending powdered phenolic into their milk powder. This was Chinese home-market stuff, and it killed more than a few kids. I think a couple officials were actually executed for this one.

Now, if you actually go look at where your medicines are made, their ingredients, and some common food ingredients especially the ones that depend on animal bits like pig, etc...not meaning to scare you, but...

18. JEM

JEM

So you're going to run steel line all the way to the engine? And when the engine vibration fatigues that line and breaks it...?

19. I ran new rubber lines in a 66 F100 earlier this year. It mostly sat for about a month and starting leaking gas near the inline filter I installed at the fuel pump.

I thought it was strange because I'm always uber-careful about my fuel connections. Upon close examination, I found that the new rubber line was already starting to deteriorate.

That caused me to do some internet research on the topic and it scared the crap out of me.

So....my 54 is getting nearly all hard fuel lines except for the new ethanol rated stuff at the carb, etc.

20. flathead okie

flathead okie

Not to jack the thread but, under the same final results I see alot of the clear plastic fuel filters being used. I've had one that somehow ruptured and burned my car down. I tell everyone that I see is running one to get a metal one.

21. Tony

Tony

Actually, they did. For years. And newer cars used it as well, although they used compression style fitting locking the rubber to the steel fitting.
    90's era O/T GM trucks used lots of rubber, from the sending unit to the lines on the frame, and from the frame lines to the back side of the motor where it connected to steel again.
    Todays car use a plastic style line which replaced the rubber.
    Not trying to insult at all man, just saying it's been used by the factories.

EDIT: ok, so i thought about this more and realized most of that is to the motor not on, so rather than deleting i'd rather just admit i was thinking about rubber in the system, not just the motor. I need to pay better attention. hahaha

Tony

22. roughneck424

roughneck424

Yep- Burned down my 63 Cad Limo. Know all about it.

23. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

correct answer on the Barricade by Gates. it is made to withstand the new fuels, along with being resistant to diesel. i use it on my race atvs(corrosive oxygenated race fuels), low pressure lines on my deisel truck, diesel lawn mower, and tractors. we have had it at our store for over a year and been using it since it came in with no problems or leaks!

24. shop teacher

shop teacher

I ran into a similar problem last year on my 51 Willys. The Holley fuel regulator was peeing on my headers. Luckily I always spin it over first and check things out. The Holley regulator has a vent hole in the housing which will leak fuel if it eats the rubber diaphram. Watch it!! Bill

25. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

while on drag week. i got a tank full of bad gas,, my fuel filter was clogged with a rubbery paste looking stuff..... the whole fuel system was new..

26. burnout2614

burnout2614

I use Gates fuel inj hose. Costs more but lasts way longer. Ethanol burns GREAT......today. Tomorrow is a gamble! 2 weeks and it runs like shit. 2 months and a match will drown in it with no flame! peace

27. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

i fucking hate ethanol!

28. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

YEP!, must be some of that cheap mport stuff CHINA is sending over........

29. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Ethanol is some bad stuff, I always fill my A up at the local ethanol free station. www.pure-gas.org

30. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ole Don,....Tnx for the idea,..... Mine hasn't been run in over a year,...F.I. hose goes in, this week !!!

4TTRUK