Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the story on 42-47 Ford trucks. some say ugly some say pure art.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

That grille is growing on me and many of the trucks on this thread are just flat nice looking...but I have to be honest, if I had one I'd put a 40 front end on it - I THINK I read somewhere that the cabs are the same. And as much as I am a Chevy guy, I LOVE the '40 Ford truck.

2. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

I was going to put a 40 front end on mine, had the sheet metal and all. Found out the wider frame on the 47 wouldn't allow proper mounting without major surgery to both the frame and sheet metal. Not saying it cant be done.

3. completogrande

completogrande
    from edmonton

what chassis would be a good swap for this??

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn! I just flipped back to post#81 and took a look at my old one... I do miss it! I'm glad that the current owner got it up and running and is super happy with it, where I was soooo burnt out on all the "fix it" kinda stuff I did. I sure would like to find one that is a bit more original that mine someday and do the deed my way instead of fixing what the p/o botched...

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The stock chassis is ALWAYS the best bet. These are super simple to work with, and unless you just flat don't have the stock stuff, I wouldn't consider a swap.

6. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

I wasn't sure at first about mine but the longer it sat in my garage the more I loved it. Wish I wouldn't have sold it. I'll probably never see it in person again its now in Germany.

I used an '85 cutlass sub frame it fit prety good and drove real nice.

Attached Files:

hans mercman and chopper99 like this.
  7. kiotes

kiotes

they are like warts, they grown on ya!

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm thinking next time Jag... Did the dropped axle and dearched springs, modified hangers, discs, etc thing last time, and it was a bunch of work for not so much down!

9. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

I will most likely build another if I get a chance

10. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

heres some pics of my 47

Attached Files:

• 47F1.jpg
      47F1.jpg
      File size:
      362.4 KB
      Views:
  11. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

Hey 65fordguy - there's a 1942 halfton at otter creek auto salvage in little rock -ar there's another hood in the bed. I know where there are 2 front clips that are free -pm if ur still hunting.

Dean
    Benton

12. completogrande

completogrande
    from edmonton

awesome.. this site is fricken cool.. theres so much going on... im 30 yrs old grue up in edmonton... none of my friends are into cars but i love all the old school stuff the nostalgia of it all.... everyone is saying stay with the stock frame.... but the only problem i see is.. how much is it going to cost me to upgrade everything and find all the parts and jazz.....i did my 64 impala... all the breaks ans shizz.. but to be honest it was all japanes to me.....luckally i am fasinatined with learning new things.... but 1947 is a whole other ball park... so if you guyz have any suggestions for me.. that would be awesome... im mechainally kinda inclined and thats as far as it goes........ good news.. i got the flat head running (and stay running) lol.... as far as swaping diffs.. cutting frames....changing motors.... eeeeeeeeee.. not looking forward to any of that.... p.s.... how do you post pics........ so i can take pics of my short fallings... and progress..... you guys can be like my teachers for one.. and brothers for another.... anywho... good to meet all you guyz......p.s.s... as a curve ball.... im kinda g'd up.... meaning im into hip hop urban life... rap... so i catch people of guard that i love this stuff.. haaa... lol.... with much respect.... and to a unique type lost art.... in your name....Jaime Liberona jr..(aka chino) ....
    hit the streets or hit the pavment....

13. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Thanks for keeping a look out! PM sent.
    Never hurts to look right!?

14. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

Anyone seen any nice original metal rear fenders at a reasonable price? Both on mine are in need of replacement.

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I've always liked them just the way they came from the factory. It seems with their stouter frames that they're just a modern engine, transmission, axle, and brakes away from being a perfectly serviceable pickup even today.

-Dave

Attached Files:

King ford likes this.
  16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Try So-Cal Phoenix at 602 275 7990. They have a nice pair hanging from the ceiling in the used parts out back... Price, I don't know.

17. verde742

verde742

Better check yer facts,, me thinks the cabs, cowl, and how they fit the frame are different,,,

18. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I agree in fact I see a cross of 1940 and 1948 styling in the trucks and I personally think they make good looking hotrods...just my 2 cents worth.:D:D

19. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ugly ????????? No Way.... I'd drive one, and park it next to my 40 !!!!!! Besides,..if folks think they're ugly, means lower prices, and more guys can have 'em !!!!!!!

4TTRUK

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope, the big stuff up to 1 1/2 ton or so is the same as half ton as far as basic cab goes. I pulled one off of a big truck at an abondoned cattle station out in the dessert 25 years ago, and a friend ended up using it to build a '41 from. The fender mount holes differed from '40-'41 to '42-'47, and they used different mouting blocks for the frames, but basically interchangable. Not so sure about anything bigger though.

21. Keeping the stock chassis is not usually about the money you will save but the time and headaches. To swap to another chassis you usually have a ton of extra work to try and get stuff to fit and look right and on top of that you usually have to rebuild all the components on the new chassis any ways.

It really depends on what you want to accomplish with your build as to what the best way to go about it is.

22. Like most things it all comes down to how much homework is done before hand to find the matching wheelbase and track width.

This is the only side shot I have

Late model stock truck chassis, PS, disc/drum PB, ... etc...

[​IMG]

23. It is usually more the fact that modern truck frames are wider through the cab area and one or the other require a grest deal of work to fit. Did you have to modify anything to get the cab to sit down on the frame?

Looks good by the way.

24. A good friend "Lowriders Art Gallery" put this one together for me. He has used this chassis/platform on several builds.

The inner fenders required some trimming to clear the front susp coils, the back of the cab needed about 4" trimmed out of the rear, the 4" notch fits in the void where the original gas tank was under the seat. Its using factory 40-47 cab mount locations. I'm getting an inner fender rub at full lock but I'm running 235/75 R15 tires all the way around which are wider than the original 42 and wider than the late model.... should be an easy fix.

a few more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Josh, I'd be interested, too, if you don't get it. I miss the one I sold to Bryan

26. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

No the the early 50' are the ugly ones.

27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Bummer. I cut two up to use the curves to make a nose for my champ car project

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. CharliesChopShop

CharliesChopShop

Does anyone know about the other grill that they used on the early "big" trucks 2 ton? I have what I think is a 1942 truck. The cab has the same lines but the lights were the bullet shaped ones with the fenders rolled over in the front, but it doesn't look like a 1940 car/truck.

29. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

That's my dad's 47 firetruck. Between him, my brother, and myself we have 5 jailbar trucks 2 half tons, 2 2ton hay trucks, and the firetruck. I tore the one I own down in 94 when I was 15. I've got the frame done, chopped the cab 3 inches and fixed the rust. The 50 in this picture I bought to drive while I finished my 47 and was a running driving truck that I decided to make it more driveable with an IFS and overdrive trans behind the flathead. One of these days I'll get back to the truck just have too many projects.
    [​IMG]

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

With the bullet style head lights but the same cab, I would be willing to bet you have a'40 or '41 big truck instead.

King ford likes this.