Register now to get rid of these ads!

Club Dues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aar0s, Dec 13, 2011.

1. aar0s

aar0s
    from So.Il.

Kinda what I was thinking, but the dues are 10 bucks a year and im not having to handle the headache. The last "club" that I belonged to didn't have any dues, or really any members to pay them. I think there was about 10 at the start and within 3 years me and a buddy quit talking about it, everyone else had moved on to other things.
    Decent bunch of folk so ill pay, do what I can and be part of it.
    Thanks for all the replies!

2. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Everybody in our bunch-o-coconuts hates the idea of dues, club politics, & "must attend" meetings.

We just do this shit for FUN, so we help each other out on their rods whenever possible, meet for the occasional burger, & pitch in together @ shows.

Friends hangout together because they want to.

3. Its been said here, but ill say it again.Only dues ive experienced are food or money for club meets and you supply for your own shirts, jackets and plaques. Other than that, membership is free.

4. daddio211

daddio211

That's dues I'd be THRILLED to pay!

Ha ha ha...

The money thing always makes people wonder, "What are they doing with MY money?" It gets ugly when the higher-ups choose a charity that others don't agree with. I belonged to a club that gave every spare penny to an animal shelter. No objection, but there were FAMILIES that needed help too and they were never considered. Made for some bad blood and the club eventually collapsed, even though it was only $10 per year!

5. The 54 Ford Club has $20/year dues....we've been together since 1986. I joined that year as a 17 year old. It's not a local thing though and we mostly know each other from our forum and our bi-annual gathering.

As soon as I get a Model A, I'm gonna join the Piney Woods A's.

It's worth noting that these two clubs are mainly restorers clubs (the Model A club more than the 54 club), and dues are pretty common for them.

For a hotrodding club, I say to heck with the dues. I like the "eatings instead of meetings" thing.

Any of you guys in Montgomery County, TX want to form something like that up?....No dues....lots of rod runs....no officers....no BS. Let me know. I need some guys to help me thrash on my 54 and get it on the road. I'll be happy to return the favor.

6. Not to hijack the thread but....

Hey Daddio211, I sold my 25 T roadster to a guy in St. George, Utah. It's blue now....ya seen it? PM me if you have.

7. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

As the president of our small local club, we collect dues of $20 per year. All the proceeds from our summer show and fundraisers go to food and refreshments for the monthly meetings, and we do something special as well, such as a club outing or donating to a charity. It also pays for Club insurance, which we have. Scanned though these posts quickly, but club insurance is paramount. We all have too much to lose.

8. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

We had a club 20 some years ago. When we first started, we collected dues for startup expenses for our first couple of shows. When we had a few bucks in the treasurary, we didn't collect them anymore.
    The only problem was that all of a sudden there were people running around with shirts and jackets with our club name on them who we didn't know. I guess they figured if membership was free, anybody could belong. We never denied anyone being a member, but I think this would not have happened if we had stuck with the $20.00 a year dues.
    It didn't last long after that.

9. Gator

Gator

I wasn't gonna comment, but since Mike (Earl Scheib) and I are in the same club; Mike's right, it can get complicated quick. We ain't called the "PoorBoys" for nothing. :eek:

As club president I just step up and pay out of my own pocket for our shirts, plaques, stickers, etc up front, and get my money back from the members. Yeah it's a pain in the ass, and even though I sometimes end up getting short-changed, I still think it's still WAY less trouble than electing a treasurer, (a job NO ONE would want to do) setting up a bank account, getting non-profit status, insurance, etc etc.

Kudo's to those of you who've made it work, but it's just not for us. ;)

10. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

Complicated? No argument from me, I do just about everything as well. But in today's world, what if someone, or something gets hurt at one of the club gatherings. Informal, formal, it doesn't matter. Club members are liable by association. I'm done if we don't have insurance protection. It's a sad truth.

11. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

daddio211 hit it right on the head - fun, not work - pay as you go - no dues, no officers - anarchy rules - swap meet vending for any big expenses

12. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

We pay 15.00 a year. That pays for the monthly club newsletter, postage and supplies. Our modest treasury also pays for things for the club like tents, generator and maintennce on a Club Trailor that hauls our stuff to shows. We also manage to help charaties at times and have sent flowers to funerals and such. Each year we have a picnic with the main course provided by the Club. At our annual CHRISTMAS party door prizes have been bought through the treasury as well.

48 Poncho

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  13. bill3337

bill3337

We have a small club in Canada, been going for 55 years. I'd be all for no dues, but our insurance is $1000 a year all by itself. Sounds like most of your clubs have no insurance. Is there a way to avoid the liability some other way? Thanks, Bill

14. daddio211

daddio211

"We're not a car club, we're just a bunch of friends hanging out! No state or tax registration, no dues, no officers, no organization." And its TRUE! :)

15. I'm not sure I'd want to belong to any club that would have me as a member (W.C. Fields)

16. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

From my point of view a car club should be a bunch of buddies w/ a plaque and some wear, what you and many other describe are associations, but...

....I can understand insurance for shows thou.

My point exactley.

LOL.

17. striptnut

striptnut

Ive been a member of The Yakety Yaks Earth for a while now. The club itself has been on the map for a good number of years with the same motto."No Dues No Dont's". We all pitch in money for Bar B Ques, picnics or any other gathering that might pop up. The club member that hasnt made it to a meeting the longest is recognized as The Club President!

18. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

We don't pay dues, don't need any problems arising due to folks asking where the money is, how much money there is or soo on. If we have a gathering going on then it's a potluck style dinner/bbq. If we need money for certain things we'll take up a collection on the spot. Other than that we don't need drama due to $.

19. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

We dont collect dues. Any monies needed are gathered by passing the hat and 50/50's at the meetings.

20. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

If the point of having a car club is to hang with your hot rod buddies, then hang with your hot rod buddies. Why in the hell would you want to complicate that situation? I mean, I understand being a "club" in name only, but dues?
    If you're a bunch of civic minded guys that want to help out the community where you live on a regular basis, THEN a club or an organization with dues and meetings etc. makes sense.

Although I occasionally pass by a small building that has a big vinyl banner hanging across the front, some sort of V-twin riders church?! Probably some tax incentives/advantages there. hahahaaaa

21. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

We have no dues , just run a 50/50 each meeting.

22. damnfingers

damnfingers

$20 a year in both clubs I belong to. Pays for subscription to national newsletter in one club as well as money for trophies, the other club uses it for club functions and to help the needy.

23. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

The only "dues" in our club would be a one time fee to defer the cost of the initial design of our logo. Then you can go buy your own jacket and have access to the digital image for embroidery. Other than that we don't have regular meetings, just hanging out when we can and going to events together.

24. tunes

tunes

Our club has $20 per year dues that covers the cost of mailings, web site, food and other items that pop up during the year. We have a meeting once a month to cover upcoming events and to give members a chance to be heard. It's not a perfect club, but it's been around since 1983.

25. Local Saturday morning breakfast club, free to join, $5,000 to leave.

26. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

I agree with daddio no dues ever, our club does the same as his. we do have a president and several chapters. No meetings just car shows and cruise nights and car people. No drama or you are out and you must attend different venues to stay in good standing. It is the kiss method keep it simple and keep it fun. Our 50/50 draws cover the cost of club insurance and all chapters pay their share. We pre sell any swag and if you miss the boat after being told 38 times too bad you wait until the next order. Pretty simple stuff in my opinion

27. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Geesh Iron Lords pay $120 a year! I need to find a new club haha!!!

All our dues go towards throwing the parties twice a year and to help out kids during Christmas.

29. daddio211

daddio211

It's occurring to me that the majority of us who say "no dues ever" have been burned by a dues charging club. Of course I don't speak for everyone, because there are some great clubs out there with high and low dues that have survived the test of time. That's a testament to the president and officers of the club, good strong leadership and respect to/from members. That's a rare organization and kudos to you guys who keep yours going!

I was the president of the local Model A Club for almost 3 years. Annual dues (against my wishes) was $30, and members received NOTHING for it. All of the money went in the treasury and nobody could agree on what to spend the money on. Meeting after meeting we discussed scholarships, a club tool fund, charities, etc.

I eventually resigned as president because every meeting turned into a bitch fest with members yelling at each other over shit that didn't matter. I thought someone else may be better suited to keeping things on track. I went to one more meeting and we had to pull two guys apart, both about 70 years old. I left the club that day. We had over $8,000 in the bank account and had never written a single check or made a withdrawal.

30. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

what are you? A WOMAN?