Register now to get rid of these ads!

speedway frontend kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1928 sedan, Dec 15, 2011.

1. 1928 sedan

1928 sedan
    from new york

they sell these cheap are they anygood how is the quality im about to order 1

2. Which kit? If it's the tube axle, 4 bar, T bucket type: DON'T!! A buddy got a Model A sedan with one under it, and it was JUNK! Light weight, chumpy little tie rod with heims, light weight steering arms. The PO said it came from Speedy Bill's.

How can you go wrong with used, gennie, early FORD parts?

3. 1928 sedan

1928 sedan
    from new york

i was going with the cut wishbone and the i-beam axle

4. troylee

troylee

Not my first choice. Im not sure but speedways are cast and not forged. Chassis Engineering and So Cal has forged set ups. My first choice would be to use some of Mr Fords original parts. But sniff around on the HAMB, lots of posts on this topic.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your axle is in good shape you can ship it off to one of the guys who drops them and have it dropped for about 250 or so.
    At the same time the going price for a SoCal forged dropped axle (plain) is right at 250.00 new. The price goes up from there depending if you want extras done to them.
    One thing to remember is that stuff that is designed and built for T buckets is usually designed for cars that weigh under 1500 lbs. That doesn't work well when you put it on cars weighing quite a bit more.

6. We've done several tube/hairpin setups from them, and for the most part they were fine. Bought one I-beam and split bone setup, and the pieces wouldn't fit together. Too hit and miss...

7. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

buy original ford here on the hamb

8. 117harv

117harv

Use real Ford parts when ever you can, going this route you may even save some $$$$

9. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

put an A.P.B. out for your needs.

with an original "A" frontend, all you need is a beam & steering arm for the spindles.

But on the real, I order parts from Speedway all the time & they're fine. Problems come with everything new, used, Speedway, Ford, just work through them.

Q: Does anyone know if Speedway's i-beam is in fact a "Superbell" with the imblem in the middle all the time or . . .

10. BamaBobAlex

BamaBobAlex
    from Alabama

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

MATACONCEPTS, I bought a SuperBell from Speedway a year and a half ago and it did have the emblem in the middle.....

12. Oakie Joe does Model A axles for Sid, Sid does the others. Joe did two for me, he put '33-'34 spindles on, which have the nice built in steering and tie rod arms(they also use cheaper kingpins). He dropped the arms to match the spindles, and does excellent work. I got the dropped axle(incl. $50 core charge), spindles with arms dropped, and kingpins fitted for about $550. Hell of a deal.

13. I bought the SuperBell setup from them.I see nothing wrong with any of the parts except I got Chinese bearings. All fit together fine, but cheap? I wouldn't say they were cheap.Nothing in this hobby is cheap anymore!

14. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Now I know. You learn alot on the HAMB, especially where it counts, in the pocket.

15. hotrod428

hotrod428

I've installed 5 or 6 of the tubular front ends, but I always buy the stainless steel ones. I thought the quality was pretty good but run a tap thru any tapped holes and use anti-seize on all threads.

16. Sid's did the axle on my 37 pickup, he is a pleasure to deal with.

17. flathead okie

flathead okie

I've had both types of axels niether gave me a problem.