Register now to get rid of these ads!

WARNING on Rubber Fuel Hoses!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by safari-wagon, Dec 15, 2011.

1. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I got this Youtube link sent to me by a buddy on the "Left Coast" after 1 of their gang pulled his Chevelle out of the garage. They smelled gas & found this fuel sprinkler going on under the hood. HOLY SHIT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkuopDCny4s

What he told me was that EVERYBODY has to check the hoses on your cars, even if they are new, to make sure there are no leaks. His hoses were only about a year old, but today's gasoline ROTS RUBBER FAST!

The hoses on my rod smell like raw gas, so they are going into the trash this winter.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

That could be a bad situation.

3. I wonder if it effects black rubber gas line too? I'm gonna check mine.....now!

4. greazy john

greazy john

wow, that looked like braided hose too...

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Is that a braided hose?
    You can imagine what this gas doing to the seals in our carbs.

6. Tomkat39

Tomkat39

Had to replace rubber hose on my 50 F1, after a year started leaking and spongy. Ethanol not good on rubber.

7. Heo2

Heo2

Its not only the fuel bad rubber quality to.
    I bought fuelhose and after a year it was
    cracked all over and i had some leftover
    from the same hose that never was used.
    And thought i use that but it was as bad
    as the used hose

8. boutlaw

boutlaw

Don't ya just love the high dollar LOW quality parts offered up fo use in this activity?

9. trimph1

trimph1

Good Grief!!! [​IMG]

That is something I'm going to check out now!!

Maybe that is why when one is going through a parking lot one can smell gas....

10. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Alcohol & age, screws up people and vehicles, I use fuel injection hose on everything anymore and inspect it every oil change, I've had enough excitement in my life (grin).

11. My wife's 64 had a massive engine fire due to ethanol eating the rubber lines. They make a fuel line that is made for the blended ethanol/gasoline shit they sell at the pump. I try an tell anyone who will listen... Change out your old rubber lines to the new lines...... or this will happen....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting all over..

[​IMG]

12. Check those old fuel pumps too, just had a 61 Jeep I just picked up, smelled gas, full oil pan of gas, have changed the pump, just hope its a recent rebuild!

13. You can buy hose that is alcohol/additive resistant. The new Gates hose is good as well as many other companies. They say your best shot is the teflon lined hose, but it is still not bullet proof.

Your best bet si to use as little rubber hose as possible and to avoid aluminum line as well. But you have to keep your fuel system full because the alcohol absorbs moisture from the air and will also corrode steel lines over time.

Check your fuel systam often, I give my stuff s redementory check every time I crack the hood I never travel more than out of my driveway without enough hose to replace all my rubber lines and I normally only use short bits of rubber as a vibration damper. Run hard line as much as possible and even though they were not real popular way back when your best bet is hard line and AN fittings.

So much for the preach
    carry on.

14. I've started using Stabil with the Ethanol component. I think you can use the Marine version as well.

15. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

I'll second that. Mine caught fire due to a similar situation in october. Check your hoses.

16. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

One of my cars had been stored awhile and I replaced the fuel lines recently. I noticed the lines were all gummy on the inside as if the rubber was melting. I've since started using Parker fuel hose. They "claim" their hoses are safe with new fuels.

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

"My wife's 64 had a massive engine fire due to ethanol eating the rubber lines. They make a fuel line that is made for the blended ethanol/gasoline shit they sell at the pump. I try an tell anyone who will listen... Change out your old rubber lines to the new lines...... or this will happen...."

Dayum, this is good to know. I've always used 'gas line' rubber hose. But, now there's an upgrade compatible for 'todays' fuels? I gotta get out from under my rock more often, thx for the heads-up. Might be a good idea to go through the complete fuel system and replace (factory and otherwise) rubber from yesteryear.

18. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Freeze the video @ 24 seconds. Looks like alum. tubing that split.

Black rubber hose was used higher up, near the carb.

At least that what it looks like to me.

Scary shit :eek:

19. squirrel

squirrel

I think a lot of the problems are caused by letting the car sit. I've never had any problems with the ones I drive regularly, it's the ones that sit for a while that seem to need attention to the fuel system.

I only use Gates hose, maybe that helps too

20. Ole don

Ole don

Dont buy the cheap old style rubber hose. Step up to the fuel injection hose, it aint cheap, but it will last more than a year.

21. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Gates Barricade is the line for todays gasahol.

22. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

that looked like an injected motor, with a high pressure pump, with an average fuel pressure of about 55 lbs. dam, one more thing to worry about.make sure you insurance policy is paid up!

23. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

24. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

ive always used fuel inj lines with fuel inj clamps and never with lengths too long.years ago i noticed the quality of rubber hose not what it used to be.an example is the shit chunks of line that comes with trans cooler kits.ive seen some cars ,as in sbc that omit the steel hard line that comes up the front of the motor to feed the carb,bad move.and on an ot simular deal ,i had a braided icemaker hose fail recently that was fairly new and never frozen.not to stir a shitstorm ,but the product was born in china.

25. badshifter

badshifter

Says right in the description it's rubber core braided line. Not aluminum tube. That could have been bad!

26. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

DUH, I missed that :eek:

27. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you post something like this, more info should also be included, such as what kind/type/brand of line failed, fuel system pressure, etc. Quality fuel hose just dosen't fail like that in about a year. :confused:

28. American Metrics

American Metrics

A local guy pulled up to say hi last saturday and as soon as he shut his car off it burst into flames. A buddy had an extinguisher so they got it out fast. It appears the pressure regulator went out and sprayed fuel onto the exhaust. Make sure you check your systems and have an extinguisher with you at all times.

Attached Files:

29. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Looks like the guy above had someone watching over him (and his car). That could have been really bad. After losing a car to an engine fire many years ago, I've always been hyper-sensitive about fuel hose. I also spring for the $10 fire extinguisher in each one of my cars. Cheap insurance that you just might use one day.

30. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I have had NEW rubber hose crack all over with only a few passes on it.
    What I found out was my high volume fuel pump was collapsing the hose causing it to crack. I use hard line now and only a short rubber or braided line at the conection for vibration.
    Bottem line cheap hose is expesive when it fails.

MrC.