Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950 S-10 " the mighty GOOSE "

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grommet, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

I have owned this truck since 2004 and had bought it from a friend of mine. I had admired thistruck and finally after a few haggles he let it go. I have driven it totally original since then. It had the original drivetrain and would creep along at 52 mph with a good wind. I had been reading about people on the HAMB setting these over onto an s-10 frame and finally back in March I dove into it. I found a 93 s-10, 4.3 with a 5 speed on craigslist for $700. I went to look at it and ended up driving it home. I called my trusty companion, My dad, and we started tearing things apart. We took both down to the frames and began the swap. I had quickly put the original drivetrain on craigslist and with in a few days had a guy give me $800 for it, put it in a conex box and shipped it to Costa Rica.
    It took us roughly 3 weeks and I spent a total of $152, for a radiator to get it back on the road safely. I shortened the frame 12" to make it fit and then took 6 " out the bed to make it a shorter profile. I took her for her maiden voyage on the interstate a few days after that. In August I made the call to Dave Coker and bought her a new set of shoes in the form of wide white walls and then called The Early Wheel Company and ordered a set of steel wheels. I have now stripped it and am painting the interior 2001 Ford electric green and the exterior Hot Rod Flatz rally green metallic.
    Hope you like the pics.

2. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Sorry,
    I have to contact the Admin guy to figure out why it wont load my pics....be back with you as soon as I can get them loaded

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Don't waste your, or our time. Pics aren't necessary.

4. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I would like to see them.

5. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Shrink them down, odds are they are too big.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You may have read about S-10 swaps on here, but you must have skipped the posts where it is NOT admired or approved of. With so many avenues towards using gennie equipment, I always wonder why this is even thought of. The "easy" way out?:confused: In a hurry to get on the "band wagon"?:confused:

7. edweird

edweird

an s10 frame under one aint no different than clipping one. as long as its done right. i had one under my 52 dodge and nobody even knew it was there. hell post them pics, i'll look at them.

8. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

holy shit! i actually lol'ed.

to the op ive done it several times, its not really hamb approved.

9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Sorry, I think I got Turretts.

10. Cost the guy $52 plus labor and welding materials and three weeks and he's driving the thing again and you can't see why he did this swap? I hate frame swaps, too, but sometimes they make sense.

11. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Clipping is a fad that had it's time, too. I'll say it again, S-10 swaps are the new flat black with red wheels. Clips are no better. It comes down to one simple point (and a myriad of other smalller, but no lesser points).
    The vast majority of swaps is so poorly done and in compromise of all reasonable engineering design that they destroy the value of a perfectly good car that is an otherwise eligible candidate for proper resurection through appropriate application of time, interest and worthwhile parts from a time more in keeping with the charter of this forum. (yes, that was one sentence)
    I believe the same of the late model clip swap. There certainly are a couple of good examples to be found here on the HAMB, for performing either. They can be found through the search funcyion. Let's leave it at that.

I can see value in them, too, under the right circumstances.... and on another forum.

12. George G

George G

Wecome to Hamb young fellow.

13. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

WOW!! look at all the nay sayers come out of the wood work. And here hot rodding and building cars was supposed to be a hobby. Got to move with the times guys....but I bet you still have sex just in the missionary position.

hahahaha I scoff at you all

14. Post pics. I wanna see this! :D

15. bobscogin

bobscogin

Not on this forum we don't. That's the whole point here-- to do it like they did before hot rodders "moved with the times".

Bob

16. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Who is Dave Coker??? Oh wait, I see it now--He is a shoe salesman. :)

17. daddio211

daddio211

Hate to admit it, but I'd rather see a clip or a frame swap than a MII-in-a-box intall. Did you know some companies are selling BOLT IN MII's!!? :eek:

18. NO, man....I'M Dave...! :D

What IS this...O/T week????

19. daddio211

daddio211

Dave's not here, man.

20. No...I'M Dave...!

21. daddio211

daddio211

Dave's not here. Go away. :)

22. It's me, DAVE!

Stupid......

23. daddio211

daddio211

If everyone else's comments don't kill this thread Cheech and Chong re-runs will! LMAO!

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably Dave the guy in the back room at Cokers:D

Grommet, it looks like the guys wooped you like a bad stepchild but if you've been around long enough to post 500 and something posts that weren't all classified adds you should have figured out that This board is about traditional rods and customs and keeping them that way. Not that we don't upgrade suspensions but most of us don't see the need to jerk a perfectly good original frame out from under a vehicle just to slap the body on a mini truck frame so that we can say we did the change over in three days. Upgrade the suspension, yes and of course upgrade the power train but sometimes if it isn't broke a guy doesn't need to fix it.
    Now if you had said you bought a bare cab from one guy, the nose at a swap meet and towed the bed home because it had been made into a trailer and then set it all on an S-10 frame we would probably be a lot more accepting.

25. d-smoke

d-smoke

I would rather just see some pictures of the damn thing than all this horse-shit about how it shouldn't be here.. So now we have this useless thread here full of crap, no pic of the truck and an one more alienated member of our little car community. Nice going... bitches..

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thread closed because you seem to be clueless about the fact that the HAMB likes to concentrate on Traditional Hot Rods and Traditional Customs.

But you did earn points for the old fashioned insult... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.