Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blown 241 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73RR, Nov 21, 2011.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Jeez, I'd say! The walls to the water jackets would start to be see-through! Even if there's enough meat there, I think that would be pushing the Baby beyond reasonable limits.

JMO, but the HAMB Hemi gurus willingly participated in a hypothetical exercise with me a couple of years back when I first joined. I asked how far the 330 hi-deck DeS could be punched out. The max (with reservations, I might point out) was .125, though somewhat less was recommended. My dad never exceeded manufacturer's standard oversize. A rodding friend of mine punched a Ponch way out and sleeved it; when he tore it down for a rebuild, he said he still found signs of overheating, though no sign of fatigure into the water jackets. He still felt the experiment was worthwhile but said THAT was his ONE time doing that. (Notably, he pushed his engines to the max when backroad racing, BTW.)

2. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Here is "Red Ram Corner"!! I've been collecting a few complete engines the past several years and extra heads.

Two complete Dodge Red Rams and a poly 270 block getting ready to be built by my good friend Doug for my next 32 Ford which will be a 3-window. Doug plans on putting spare heads from a 241 on the 270 poly block. We will be using the three carb set up however I better not let him see this blower stuff!!

32 Spitfire

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643065&highlight=32+spitfire

Attached Files:

3. George

George

I blew right past that w/o noticing! He may have an expensive paperweight there!

4. Blown Red Ram

Blown Red Ram
    from Kelso,Wa.

My engine is only .040 over stock bore size.
    Going to spend my saturday out in the shop making a roll around cart to put it on . It needs to be stored in tha basement family room for the winter. Then I can put all the Hilborn stuff on while I'm watching Speed or an old "And They Walked Away " video.
    Tim

5. Thats what the guy said, hope its not a paper wieght. I have the guy # that built trying to get ahold of him. Here are the #s on the block D44 I23339. And I ment Weiand intake sorry.

6. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Hemi!!!.....Says it all....

7. 73RR

73RR

D44 is a 241 so now the question is: what is the existing bore diameter?

8. George

George

Yeah, if it's that big a bore he might want to pull the pistons & see if it can be sleeved back to 259 or 241.

9. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

I ordered a manifold from exter. I should have it this week. I will have a writeup all about modding the manifold to fit the blower on. I'm in the mock-up stages now. Gerry[​IMG]

10. I got a hold of the guy that built it, he said they sleeved one cyl. and it is not a punched to a 270. I am going to meet with the guy and get more info. He said it is balenced, new custom push rods, new eddy pistons, I am going to get a list of everything else. Sounds like he knew what he was talking about.

11. 73RR

73RR

New what??

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If it was mine I think I would open it up and see for myself what's in there

13. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Isn't Egge a cast piston? If so is that a good idea in a supercharged engine?

14. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

15. t5stang91

t5stang91

would think you would want forged, or in worst case a hyper if they even make them. i am still trying to learn on these old engines so bare with me.

16. monc440

monc440

Gerry

Keep us posted on this one. I'm going to need to make or modify a blower intake soon. Considering the cost of a 4brl or 2 2's intake I was considering making mine from scratch. I have access to a machine shop and tig welder.

17. I kick myself every day for selling the 241 I had..........it even came with a manual trans bellhousing..... It was a running engine at that...

Yup those baby Pachyderms will surprise you.....

18. 73RR

73RR

...max of 3-4psi... and then only maybe.
    I have remnants (chunks) of a 392 that had a blower on cast pistons...

It is only an additional $300-$400 for forgings but yet the damage can exceed thousands....

19. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

Here is the offy 4 barrel manifold I used. I opened it up and machined it flat so I could weld the plate on. I am almost finished with the adapter plate. Rite after that I will weld it to the manifold. I'll do a walk through once I'm done with everything.. Gerry[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Not questioning your work but wondering if you had that intake bolted to a block with mounted heads before all the welding?

21. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

nothing is final yet. Just flattened out the intake. I been using the round about measurements off this manifold. And also with test fitting..
    [​IMG]

22. Blown Red Ram

Blown Red Ram
    from Kelso,Wa.

Brigrat,
    I can resist anything but temptation! I'd like to look if it's available.
    Thanks,
    Tim

23. That is awesome how you modified that manifold... thinking outside the box...

24. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Flow numbers for?

25. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

How about dropping it in this:
    [​IMG]
    and going to Bonneville in August? The record for the "E" class is 212.883. The car will do it if the engine is up to it.

This year will mark 50 years of Land Speed racing for this car. Hope to get it out there so people can see and enjoy a real piece of Bonneville history.

If someone has blown 306 cid to 373 cid hemi we could chase after the record the car already holds at 239.208 mph. That was on fuel. Gas record is 224 mph.
    Dan

26. George

George

A friend has been thinking of dropping a hemi in his Avanti!

27. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------
    Wow! That little Dodge Hemi would
    be sweet, sweet, sweet, in an Anglia!
    It'd probably fit pretty well too!

Mart3406
    ==========

28. 73RR

73RR

I just received a updated pic of the littlest Dodge with a cute little 2-port injector...

Attached Files:

29. BashingTin

BashingTin

That thing is Bad-Ass looking!

What plug wires are those?