Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rebuilding a Caddy 429

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64ville, Dec 6, 2011.

1. 64ville

64ville
    from So Cal

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd reach out here for some help.

I recently threw a piston rod in my 64 Cadillac and am now looking into getting the 429 rebuilt. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a local shop here in the San Fernando Valley for this. I don't wanna take the car into just any shop so if any of you know of a legit place that won't charge me an arm and a leg please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

2. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

If it threw a rod may have ruined the block

3. 64ville

64ville
    from So Cal

Bump!

Any assistance would be appreciated.

4. Sorry can't help but if you can't find someone or if the price is too high you might want to think about a 472 or 500 transplant. Should fit but not sure about transmission but I've seen packages for sale and the transmission is basically a TH400 if I remember correctly. You get a more modern valve train and better oil pump. Of course if your trying to keep it original then that won't work.

5. 64ville

64ville
    from So Cal

Yeah I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. A lot of people are telling me to swap to an SBC but I just can't do that in good faith.

6. The 472 and 500 are later Caddy engines. Probably hard to tell the change had even been made.

7. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

8. rustang

rustang

The bell housing/trans on the '64 TH400 will require a change if you go to a 472/500 or BBC...The '64 was the first year of the TH400 but it was somewhat different from the TH400s that came soon after..uses the BPO bellhousing pattern....I had researched this back when I had my '64 CDV a few years back.....

My plan at that time was for a BBC with blower, but ended up selling the car...
    Tom

9. terryble

terryble
    from canada

472/500 transplant is easy in 65 and later Caddys with 429s originally but it is a bear of a job in 64 and earlier nothing wants to cooperate.

10. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

I know a racer owned shop in the Lancaster area that would probably do the job.

11. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Keep the Caddy motor, a SBC ain't gonna move that big metal around. The old VW hippie vans will be passing you on the hills. :D

12. 64ville

64ville
    from So Cal

^^ I hear ya!

Definitely keeping the 429, can't imagine powering a Cadillac with anything else.

Moneymaker, Lancaster is a bit of a stretch for me to tow the Caddy out. Looking for something closer in the SFV. Thanks anyways though.

13. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

Next time someone tells you that, go upside their head.