Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sneak Peak - Model A Frame Dimpled or Belled hole Boxing Plate Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalfaber, Oct 29, 2011.

1. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, metalfaber;

Why not offer both styles on order, or as an option? Still easy to stock.

Not everyone wants, or needs, a C-notch in the frame. Front or rear.

Marcus...

2. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

nrg, that could be an option. I think I will start with the one style, and see how they go over, and maybe someone who installs a set would be willing to send me some pics back. If someone wanted one in the other style before I started stocking them, I could still make them, there would just be a week or two delay before I would be able to get them done.

If I did some with holes there, I may still leave a small patch were the rear crossmember would be located as it may be hard to move it forward or back one hole as it may play with shock location too much.

Thanks for the input.

3. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

Good luck metalfaber with the model A plates.

Just so everyone knows, we currently have the 32 boxing plates (with belled holes, been doing them for nearly 20 years now!) in stock as well as 32 x-members and now we are offering direct replacement 33-4 x-members and boxing plates.

Matt Lesky
    Ionia Hot Rod Shop
    616 527 6051

4. LDNFAST

LDNFAST

Yeah the Ionia plates are beautiful. A Michigan original 20 years deep

5. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

It would be appreciated if you started your own thread to talk about your products instead of promoting them in a thread that I started about products that I am making.

Im sure you would appreciate it, and can understand were I am coming from, if it was the other way around.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Brian

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  6. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Got mine from Brian about a week ago and these things are nice!

Went with the dimpled plates and couldn't be happier.

7. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Thanks Countn Carbs! Glad you liked them, I would love to see some pics when you get them installed!

Brian =)

8. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

maybe I'm not reading close enough, I'm a little tired tonight... Have you produced a set for 32 rails yet Brian, and if so, what do you want for them?

I'd also be interested in the steel thickness, where you ended up punching or not punching holes, and how many separate pieces per rail. Photos would be great.

If the price is right I'd be in for a set as soon as I can swing it.

Thanks,

-Chris

9. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Chris, I have made the Model As, and as a result of those, I have had requests for the 32s, and I am working on them. We are close!

They will be 10 gauge (hair thicker than 1/8") and there will be 3 pieces per rail, going from front to rear spreader bars as our solid plates are. So far the only place were there wont be any holes, is were the front crossmember will go, and the short stretch, were the frame sometimes is C notched for the rearend to were the rear crossmember typically mounts.

As far as working on them goes, I pretty much have the design ironed out, as long as I like it when I have a completed set made to look at in person. I am ready to cut some out as soon as I get some time, but as it is a new product, and I currently have other products that I am running behind on stock, they are first on the list. I also had some issues with my plasma table that I had to address. I think, and I am hoping, that I will have some time this Friday to get some cutout and dimpled all except the 2 largest size of dimples. It sounds like I may be waiting for my 2 larger dies till after the holidays as well.

I will get some pics up as soon as I have something to take pics of, hopefully maybe Friday or this weekend.

And for pricing, I think I am going to start them out at $325, the same price as the Dimpled Model As. After I get them ironed out, going well, and see what it takes for time, I may adjust the price as I see fit.

Brian =)

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

What about 35-40 Fords? Just thinking outloud.....

11. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Roothawg,
    If there is enough demand or you want one unique set bad enough ;) and I either have access to, or someone brings me a frame to get measurements off of, I can consider them for future products.

Sending me accurate dimensioned drawings is another option if you are able, but if it is something that will be a repeated product, I like to fit test pieces, and adjust my drawing accordingly, to get the best fit possible.

Brian =)

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think the demand on the 35-40 stuff would be for a set of rear boxing plates, personally. Most of your 35-40 stuff will have fenders, so a full length set might not sell that well.

13. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

If that is the case, and you could make some good templates out of some cardstock or similar material, I could turn that into a drawing and cut some out for you.

14. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Looks like 32 Prototype will not be until next week, as I am low on steel, and my steel supplier is reordering steel and wont have it this week.

And....

First model A complete set for the HAMB is still available. Now at $310 w/ Free shipping as promised.

Brian

15. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

ttt...........

and now we are at $305

16. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

BINGO!!! Im first in line for a full set of Model A dimpled boxing plates!!!!!!

17. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Luckys is the lucky one getting the first full set of Dimpled A plates on the HAMB at the special price. Back to normal price for now, $325 and $25 SH in US.

Thanks Lucky, you should post up some pics of the project when you are getting them in if you want.

Also, I cut out some 32 Dimpled Proto plates today, but they still have to be dimpled, Ill post up progress when I get them done.

Brian

18. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

I got the first set of 32s cut, and all but the 2 largest sizes of holes dimpled. Here are some pics of one side to give you an idea. Im still waiting on my larger dimple dies, as soon as I get them, I can finish some.

As we talked earlier, the front solid area is for the front crossmember, and the rear area is to allow enough meat for C notching if wanted, and for the rear crossmember, allowing enough room for a little movement forward or back depending on what you are doing for the rear.

Any feedback? Like it? Layout look good? If it is good, I will go ahead and get a handful more sets cut and dimple what I can, and finish when I get the larger dies.

Brian

Attached Files:

19. brady1929

brady1929

i like them. good luck

20. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

They look pretty darn good. Have you played around any with keeping the distance between the holes standardized, i.e. maybe fewer holes? I can't really visualize what that might look like, but for my own frame, I'd like to replicate the early ford x-member to the extent possible.Too many holes might look overdone. Just throwing it out there.

[​IMG]

21. As soon as I get a few extra bucks I will be picking up a set of these the A! looks like a very well made product!

22. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

If you wanted to get me some measurements between the holes, I can compare them, and maybe keep that as an option, or offer "custom options" were you pick what you want. I don't have a frame around here anymore that I can measure from.

Thanks! Sounds good, let me know and Ill get them out to you. :)

Also, on another note, our small town rod shop Sieberts Custom Paint and Body www.siebertscustom.com will have an opening in the shop before too long if anybody is needing work done, or a set of plates welded in. :) Call and talk to Perry JR, and tell him your from the HAMB.

Brian

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  23. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Ok guys, I apologize for the wait. The fellas I was waiting on to make my dies held me up too long, I finally decided enough is enough, and I went elsewhere. So, the waiting shouldn't be too long now, Im hoping maybe by the end of next week? If not, the following shouldn't be a problem. Ive got a handful of 32 sets almost ready for when the larger dies are completed.

Brian :)

24. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Good News! Dimpling has begun! I will post up pics tomorrow, and will have a few sets ready to go tomorrow as well!

Brian

25. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Finally, the wait is over! Here are some pics.

I will have a few sets ready to go today. Initial price right now, is going to be $325 and S/H in US is $30 via UPS.

It took a little longer than expected with all the dimpling, especially the larger holes. So after the initial sets are gone, I will probably bump it up a tad, but we will see when I get to making another batch uninterrupted.

Brian

And another friendly reminder about our local rod shop Sieberts Custom Paint and Body, they will have an opening shortly if you are needing some work done. There are also 18 and counting build logs with pictures and a few videos if you guys haven't checked it out yet, its worth a look. www.siebertcustom.com :cool:

Attached Files:

26. Just got my set of these for the 32 - they are great!
    Thanks!

27. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Excellent! If anyone who gets any of the boxing plates wants to post up some pictures of installing them, and/or after they are done, that would be wonderful!

Brian

28. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

There will be more dimpled sets available the first part of this next week. For anyone who was already interested or if your just now seeing them. Its first come first serve as these are only made when time is available. =)

29. Nice product!
    I don't have an A or a '32
    But I can appreciate your craftsmanship all the same.

30. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. :)